How do you feel about being prayed for?

Started by bfiddy100, October 25, 2013, 07:56:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lumpymunk

Getting prayed for isn't something that is worth getting into an argument or fight over with your family/friends.  It's generally well intentioned...

leo

They are wasting time . Pretty pointless.
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

the_antithesis

Quote from: "bfiddy100"I was curious if any of you have family or friends whom are Christian and are praying for your salvation.  If so, how do you feel about that?

I hate it the way a homosexual hates it when their family prays they stop being gay or when your girlfriend expresses a desire that you had blue eyes instead of brown. There's nothing wrong with me the way I am. If that's not good enough for you, then go fuck yourself.

mykcob4

Quote from: "bfiddy100"
Quote from: "mykcob4"I don't like it at all. I think it is a condescending act at best. I have mormon neighbors that will after my death somehow convert me into the mormon church. I told them don't bother. I am appalled by the addasity(sp) of these people that assume that their religion superceeds any and everyone's beliefs and wishes.

I can see how that would look audacious.  But if we're honest, we all believe that our own beliefs are above all others.  If we didn't then we'd hold the beliefs that we felt were higher than our own.
Nope I don't think my nonbelief is above others and I don't expect others to put their beliefs above what I don't believe. And I am being extremely honest.

Smartmarzipan

Quote from: "bfiddy100"I was curious if any of you have family or friends whom are Christian and are praying for your salvation.  If so, how do you feel about that?

Meh. Prayers gonna pray.

Legi, Intellexi, Condemnavi.

"Religion is the human response to being alive and having to die." ~Anon

Inter arma enim silent leges

hrdlr110

How I feel about being prayed for depends upon how effective the prayer is.
Mom lives in Alaska, she was visiting my very religious bro and sis-in-law in wa state. On the way to taking her home, they stopped to fuel up. My bro's pickup wouldn't start, dead battery, this at 1am. My mother got out and started walking to find cables, sis-in-law sat in pickup.........praying. Mom returns with cables. Sisinlaw says to my mother, "oh, praise the lord, I was praying you would find cables." Mom put her right in her place explains the real reason there are cables, and it had NOTHING to do with her praying. Good on ya mom!
Q for theists; how can there be freewill and miracles? And, how can prayer exist in an environment as regimented as "gods plan"?

"I'm a polyatheist, there are many gods I don't believe in." - Dan Fouts

Mermaid

If someone is praying for me because I am sick or something intense is happening, I find it flattering and sweet and I thank them. If someone is praying for me because I do not conform to their personal standards for how a person SHOULD be, it's irritating. I don't spend any brain cells on it, but I do think they are douchey for doing it. That all goes into the mental file.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Mermaid

Quote from: "the_antithesis"I hate it the way a homosexual hates it when their family prays they stop being gay or when your girlfriend expresses a desire that you had blue eyes instead of brown. There's nothing wrong with me the way I am. If that's not good enough for you, then go fuck yourself.
Exactly.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

AllPurposeAtheist

Penn State fans are praying about now. Ohio State is beatin up on em. :)
35-7 before halftime..   20 wins in a row it looks like. :)
Go Bucks!
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Solitary

SmOff I'm not saying who it was here, but if you look over thataway, I heard him saying this prayer last night: [spoil:3l61hkyu][/spoil:3l61hkyu]  [-X  :lol:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

GrinningYMIR

I have a friend who prays for me, I find it flattering, but I know truly that it does nothing. In truth, mainly I simply ignore it
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

AllPurposeAtheist

See? Prayer works.. Penn State starters scored against OSU's 3rd stringers.. 63-14.. :shock:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

SGOS

I feel about the same as I do when someone says "Bless you" when I sneeze.  It's a mundane response that means nothing.  Although, I would think prayer may be more heartfelt than a 'bless you', it's every bit as useless.

But I don't go ballistic and lecture someone for saying "Bless you", so it would seem equally inappropriate to get my nose out of joint when someone prays for me.

Shiranu

I am indifferent, at most slightly amused.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

bfiddy100

Quote from: "Mermaid"If someone is praying for me because I am sick or something intense is happening, I find it flattering and sweet and I thank them. If someone is praying for me because I do not conform to their personal standards for how a person SHOULD be, it's irritating. I don't spend any brain cells on it, but I do think they are douchey for doing it. That all goes into the mental file.

I wasn't referring to someone praying that their girlfriend would be hotter or something ridiculous like that.  Christians believe that we've ALL failed to meet God's standard (Romans 3:23).  Recognizing God's righteousness and our sinfulness the Christian would be praying for you because they care for you and want you to receive the mercy from God that they feel they've received.  They believe that if you don't receive mercy that you will be justly punished by God.  But they don't believe they are somehow better than you, knowing that they too deserved to be punished and the only reason they won't be is because Christ was punished on their behalf.  Would you still find that offensive and/or irritating?