How do you feel about being prayed for?

Started by bfiddy100, October 25, 2013, 07:56:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bfiddy100

I was curious if any of you have family or friends whom are Christian and are praying for your salvation.  If so, how do you feel about that?

AllPurposeAtheist

About the same as them praying that I get chosen as the king of the earth.. I thank them then ignore them..not always in that order.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

PickelledEggs

I'd rather them actually do something about issues rather than think praying alone does anything. I do appreciate that they're at least trying to put their heart in the right place, though.

mykcob4

Quote from: "bfiddy100"I was curious if any of you have family or friends whom are Christian and are praying for your salvation.  If so, how do you feel about that?
I don't like it at all. I think it is a condescending act at best. I have mormon neighbors that will after my death somehow convert me into the mormon church. I told them don't bother. I am appalled by the addasity(sp) of these people that assume that their religion superceeds any and everyone's beliefs and wishes.

bfiddy100

Quote from: "PickelledEggs"I'd rather them actually do something about issues rather than think praying alone does anything. I do appreciate that they're at least trying to put their heart in the right place, though.

I can understand that complaint.  But the issue in this case would be that they're concerned that you're going to suffer for eternity.  What do you think they should do besides pray in this case?  Would you be offended if they tried to explain the good news of Christianity to you?

bfiddy100

Quote from: "mykcob4"I don't like it at all. I think it is a condescending act at best. I have mormon neighbors that will after my death somehow convert me into the mormon church. I told them don't bother. I am appalled by the addasity(sp) of these people that assume that their religion superceeds any and everyone's beliefs and wishes.

I can see how that would look audacious.  But if we're honest, we all believe that our own beliefs are above all others.  If we didn't then we'd hold the beliefs that we felt were higher than our own.

AllPurposeAtheist

Hehe.. If they have a direct line to the creator of all existence on my behalf more power to em.. :)

bfiddy100

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"Hehe.. If they have a direct line to the creator of all existence on my behalf more power to em.. :)

Good point.  But if they're Christians they wouldn't be praying primarily for you to get an awesome car or promotion at work, but rather that you would see your own sinfulness and God's goodness and turn to Him.  Basically, they'd be praying that God would give you a heart to love Him.  How would you feel about that?

AllPurposeAtheist

Hey, I don't care if they pray I suddenly get an NFL contract and catch the superbowl winning touchdown. It doesn't mean it's going to happen. People claim I'm blessed most times I sneeze. If they want to have wishful thinking that's their right. It doesn't really change doodly squat.

FinalSomnia

People praying for me is equal to them cursing my name behind my back - hollow words that mean nothing and accomplish just as much.
Heaven is no more than a carrot on a string at the end of a tunnel; Hell is no more than a gunbarrel at the back of your head.  When we are good people for the sake of being good people, we\'ll have no further use for religion.

ApostateLois

I really don't care. Praying for my salvation is as useless as praying for anything else, or asking an invisible leprechaun to give me money. They are welcome to engage in whatever superstitious practices they want to. I just wish they'd pray to the leprechaun, though, because I'd rather have the money.  :-s
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"

PickelledEggs

Quote from: "bfiddy100"
Quote from: "PickelledEggs"I'd rather them actually do something about issues rather than think praying alone does anything. I do appreciate that they're at least trying to put their heart in the right place, though.

I can understand that complaint.  But the issue in this case would be that they're concerned that you're going to suffer for eternity.  What do you think they should do besides pray in this case?  Would you be offended if they tried to explain the good news of Christianity to you?
I don't get offended at all. I would just rather them actually try to do something about an issue rather than praying. Some things you can't control though. If someone broke their arm and they have it in a cast, what is the difference between saying "I'll pray for you" or "I have you in my thoughts" aside from the fact that the first one uses less words and also assumes that you can make special requests to an omnipotent being, nothing. I don't have a problem with someone praying for my health if I'm sick. They aren't a doctor, so it's not like they can prescribe me medicine. I appreciate it and I thank them. For the things that people can help with, if you can help and want to help, you should get out and contribute to the fix, otherwise saying I'll pray for you is just one big circle-jerk that no one is benefiting from.

Solitary

I feel humored by it because it is so ridiculous to think prayers actually work when mathematics shows they are no better making things happen than mere chance. I'm glad that most are thinking of me, whatever that means, but hate it when they are being condescending or phony about doing it.  :-D  :evil:   :roll:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

GSOgymrat

Most of the time I just think of it as the equivalent of wishing someone well. It's like when I tell someone "good luck" or "you'll be in my thoughts."

bfiddy100

Interesting...thanks for the replies.  So, it seems, in general, you don't mind being prayed for.  Do your Christian friends and family members ever discuss the gospel with you?  And if so, how do you feel about that?  Oh, and by "the gospel" I don't mean the four gospel accounts of the New Testament, I mean the core message of Christianity...the good news.