News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

And now I'm here . . .

Started by Coyote, November 08, 2013, 11:29:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coyote

Hi, there.  I'm joining for an outlet.  I'm an atheist in hiding.  Well, one person knows.  My wife.  Whom I married under the pretenses of being joined together by God.  My atheism/agnosticism is a relatively new development.  I admitted it to myself a couple of months ago, but having some time to think about it, I probably stopped truly believing a bit before that.

However, I married my wonderful wife over four years ago, after having just returned from a year studying theology at a Bible college, when I was certainly a believer.  Yay!  Now, I'm atheist and she's not.  She can't understand, though she does try.  Anyway, a little creative thinking I'm sure will paint a picture for you of all the problems just in that area.

Oh, and my parents raised me Christian, are Christian themselves, and my little brother - who looks to me for advice.  And all of my friends.  In fact, I know only one other atheist for sure, and I don't really know him.  But it is what it is.  Guess I'll know more soon.  Looking forward to gleaning advice from people who have certainly experienced similar situations.

Solitary

:-D Welcome aboard Coyote! I've been married 49 years to a Catholic. I think she is stupid and she thinks I'm crazy or vice versa so it works out great. Both of my sons are atheist even though they were raised Catholic.  =D>  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Coyote

I guess that's slightly encouraging.  But my wife, family, and friends are all quite dedicated Pentecostals.  And the difference between Catholic and Evangelical is . . . vast.  No offense to the Catholic.

Hijiri Byakuren

Welcome, Coyote. I've always been an atheist because my mostly-Christian family never bothered trying to impress it upon me. About half of them, including the atheists, know that I'm an atheist. The other half thinks I'm a deist, and will accept any criticism of their religion from me as long as they think I believe in a god. It's kinda great.

Enough about me, though. How are you holding up through all of this?
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

GrinningYMIR

Welcome Coyote

A few of us are in similar situations, I'm surrounded by very religious people who think I'm either young and hotheaded, or I'm going to burn in hell for all eternity, which is a way still means I'm hotheaded.

You've got a good many people who share your beliefs here, so feel free to vent as you like!
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

SGOS

Joined together with your wife by God?  Is that better than having the state recognize your marriage? :-D

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: "Coyote"I guess that's slightly encouraging.  But my wife, family, and friends are all quite dedicated Pentecostals.  And the difference between Catholic and Evangelical is . . . vast.  No offense to the Catholic.

Pentecostal. That's got to be some intense shit. I almost lost my faith (back when I had faith) going to a pentecostal church. They were trying to divine knowledge. Really shook me up for a while.

Glad you found a new perspective. =D>
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

aitm

greetings and welcome to the house
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Coyote

Quote from: "Solomon Zorn"
Quote from: "Coyote"I guess that's slightly encouraging.  But my wife, family, and friends are all quite dedicated Pentecostals.  And the difference between Catholic and Evangelical is . . . vast.  No offense to the Catholic.

Pentecostal. That's got to be some intense shit. I almost lost my faith (back when I had faith) going to a pentecostal church. They were trying to divine knowledge. Really shook me up for a while.

Glad you found a new perspective. =D>

Yeah.  I was raised in it.  Started out UPCI and then merged to become independent.  The independent church I was involved in was definitely better than UPCI.  In case you don't know what UPCI is.  Here you go.

http://www.upci.org/about-us/beliefs/21 ... beliefs/91

Solitary

Quote from: "SGOS"Joined together with your wife by God?  Is that better than having the state recognize your marriage? :-D

Mine was. It was fun when my wife prayed to the virgin Mary statue and it fell over on the ground. I couldn't stop laughing while you could hear a pin drop in Church. :rollin:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Brian37

Be sure to barbecue kittens, record the NFL without their permission and rip the tags off of your mattress.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

mykcob4

Welcome. Unfortunately the truth is that almost every Atheist has a story simular as yours. We go through every day with people completely disrespecting our individual right. It is amazing how christians act towards Atheist.

Smartmarzipan

Quote from: "Coyote"Hi, there.  I'm joining for an outlet.  I'm an atheist in hiding.  Well, one person knows.  My wife.  Whom I married under the pretenses of being joined together by God.  My atheism/agnosticism is a relatively new development.  I admitted it to myself a couple of months ago, but having some time to think about it, I probably stopped truly believing a bit before that.

However, I married my wonderful wife over four years ago, after having just returned from a year studying theology at a Bible college, when I was certainly a believer.  Yay!  Now, I'm atheist and she's not.  She can't understand, though she does try.  Anyway, a little creative thinking I'm sure will paint a picture for you of all the problems just in that area.

Oh, and my parents raised me Christian, are Christian themselves, and my little brother - who looks to me for advice.  And all of my friends.  In fact, I know only one other atheist for sure, and I don't really know him.  But it is what it is.  Guess I'll know more soon.  Looking forward to gleaning advice from people who have certainly experienced similar situations.

Welcome!

Most of us here know what it's like to hide our atheism from friends and family....just keep in mind that learning about you may be just as difficult for your wife as it is for you dealing with her not understanding.
Legi, Intellexi, Condemnavi.

"Religion is the human response to being alive and having to die." ~Anon

Inter arma enim silent leges

Sal1981

Welcome to AF. Many people here have similar situations. I'm the only atheist, that I'm sure of, in my family.

leo

Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .