Fantastic Four Barely Registers on the Tomatometer

Started by SGOS, August 14, 2015, 12:21:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Ouch, 8%.  It's almost impossible for a movie based on comic book Superheroes to not be a big success.  Audiences are slightly more generous at 22%, but still that's dismal.  Except that the box office take seems to be doing OK ($25.7M).  It's the second highest on the list.  I don't know if that's just this week or over all.

Odd too, I watched an older Fantastic Four a few years ago.  I thought I wasn't going to like it, but I ended up renting it twice.  The potential seems to be there.  I have NOT seen this one, probably won't bother until I can rent the DVD.

Munch

I know, I've been watching all the reviews of it and on film critic sites, its on par with batman and robin.

Fox are douchebags for continuing to produce crappy fantastic four movies just so they don't have to give the film licence back to marvel (really, fox owns the movie rights but if they don't make a fantastic four film every 5 years it licence goes back to marvel, so they purposely make the movies, saying even if its shit they will make one), but this also comes down to the director, Josh Trank, who from sources was a complete fuckhead to work with, he treated staff like shit, and he got constantly high on set where the producer had to take over from him in order to direct it.

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

SGOS

Quote from: Munch on August 14, 2015, 01:21:52 PM
I know, I've been watching all the reviews of it and on film critic sites, its on par with batman and robin.

Fox are douchebags for continuing to produce crappy fantastic four movies just so they don't have to give the film licence back to marvel (really, fox owns the movie rights but if they don't make a fantastic four film every 5 years it licence goes back to marvel, so they purposely make the movies, saying even if its shit they will make one), but this also comes down to the director, Josh Trank, who from sources was a complete fuckhead to work with, he treated staff like shit, and he got constantly high on set where the producer had to take over from him in order to direct it.

Well, that explains a lot.  But when you put 20 million dollars into making a film (or whatever those things cost now days), you would want to hire good writers, competent actors (which they actually had in this case), and a sober director.  I mean, why piss the money down a rat hole?  Well, it made 25 million.  That's probably the reason.

Munch

Quote from: SGOS on August 14, 2015, 03:24:24 PM
Well, that explains a lot.  But when you put 20 million dollars into making a film (or whatever those things cost now days), you would want to hire good writers, competent actors (which they actually had in this case), and a sober director.  I mean, why piss the money down a rat hole?  Well, it made 25 million.  That's probably the reason.

I dunno, it seems like the idea of losing a franchise to the original company matters more to their corporate execs then actually producing something worthwhile.

The idea is simple though, even if they product a piece of shit movie, if they put all focus into hyping it up, make trailers to make it look awesome, silence anyone leaking rumors about it being a pile of shit, then in their minds as long as it makes millions in the first week of release, they can make back what it cost to make, and keep the licence, even if they don't break ground.

Like you can see, they hyped this movie up so everyone wanted to see it, and time everyone realized how shit it was, it was to late, it already make box office sales back.

This is why I don't ever go to see movies upon release. I always wait for reviews to come in and see if the hype is true or not.

Edit: Also, turns out scene shown in the trailer, they cut several action scenes we see in the trailer from the movie, so they used pure manipulation to get asses in seats and peoples money while delivering a turd advertised as a cake.

Solomon Zorn

I heard from a close friend that they barely use their powers until the end. She said it was terrible. The thing that sucks the most, in my opinion, is that Marvel Studios is working on an Infinity Gauntlet adaptation, and they'll have to do it without the FF, and probably without Silver Surfer. Doesn't Fox own the X-Men rights as well?
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Munch

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on September 21, 2015, 06:21:26 AM
I heard from a close friend that they barely use their powers until the end. She said it was terrible. The thing that sucks the most, in my opinion, is that Marvel Studios is working on an Infinity Gauntlet adaptation, and they'll have to do it without the FF, and probably without Silver Surfer. Doesn't Fox own the X-Men rights as well?

sadly yes..

Solomon Zorn

If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Munch

I'd say X-Men was better because of a better director and cast. That's why X-Men 3 bombed, but 1,2 and days of future past worked.