News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Minions

Started by TomFoolery, September 10, 2015, 04:26:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomFoolery

I guess I've been living under a rock and haven't caught on to the whole Despicable Me/Minions movement. Now I see them everywhere, in places that don't even make sense. I've seen memes on social media with pictures of stoic minions attached to everything from Ghandi quotes to rap lyrics. My step-daughter has been begging to see the new Minions movie that just came out, and so I found the first Despicable Me movie in her closet and we watched it last night.

Is it just me, or are these sad little uniocular creatures that everyone thinks are adorable really just tiny yellow slaves that resemble tic-tacs? Seriously, they don't get paid, they are treated as expendable, and at one point in the movie this Gru guy is actually testing products on them like lab rats. I pointed this out to my husband who thinks I'm reading way too much into a kid's movie, but in a way, I find that equally horrifying. It's like indoctrinating kids that it's ok to treat hordes of little yellow people like you own them, because they're cute and they seem to like it anyway?

How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

stromboli

Quote from: TomFoolery on September 10, 2015, 04:26:48 PM
I guess I've been living under a rock and haven't caught on to the whole Despicable Me/Minions movement. Now I see them everywhere, in places that don't even make sense. I've seen memes on social media with pictures of stoic minions attached to everything from Ghandi quotes to rap lyrics. My step-daughter has been begging to see the new Minions movie that just came out, and so I found the first Despicable Me movie in her closet and we watched it last night.

Is it just me, or are these sad little uniocular creatures that everyone thinks are adorable really just tiny yellow slaves that resemble tic-tacs? Seriously, they don't get paid, they are treated as expendable, and at one point in the movie this Gru guy is actually testing products on them like lab rats. I pointed this out to my husband who thinks I'm reading way too much into a kid's movie, but in a way, I find that equally horrifying. It's like indoctrinating kids that it's ok to treat hordes of little yellow people like you own them, because they're cute and they seem to like it anyway?

I agree. I think its kind of scary.

Hydra009

Quote from: TomFoolery on September 10, 2015, 04:26:48 PM
I guess I've been living under a rock and haven't caught on to the whole Despicable Me/Minions movement. Now I see them everywhere, in places that don't even make sense. I've seen memes on social media with pictures of stoic minions attached to everything from Ghandi quotes to rap lyrics.
Apparently, they're really popular on facebook memes and my hate for that garbage is starting to spill over on the minions.  I haven't seen Minions, but I really liked them in Despicable Me.  Adorable little scamps and good comedic fodder.

QuoteIs it just me, or are these sad little uniocular creatures that everyone thinks are adorable really just tiny yellow slaves that resemble tic-tacs? Seriously, they don't get paid, they are treated as expendable, and at one point in the movie this Gru guy is actually testing products on them like lab rats.
I don't think they're actually slaves.  According to TV tropes, they basically live to serve, much like the Oompa Loopa of Charlie and the Chocolate factory.

QuoteI pointed this out to my husband who thinks I'm reading way too much into a kid's movie, but in a way, I find that equally horrifying. It's like indoctrinating kids that it's ok to treat hordes of little yellow people like you own them, because they're cute and they seem to like it anyway?
You're reading too much into it, imho.  It's been a while, but I don't think the intended message of the film was that slavery is a-ok.

Munch

I was trying to find a video I watched recently addressing just this, how a man goes to a seaside town here in england.. and everywhere, in every shop, eatery, pub and bar, arcade, beach front, everywhere, minions.

The fact about these little shits is how they are these unoffensive, bland, quirky, brightly colored goofballs that garble sounds like a baby. Its because they have no personality outside of just being 'cutesy', big eyed, brightly colored and garbling nonsense is why they are so easy to sell, as well as being so easy to put together, so they sell in the bucket load.

I honestly don't think of them as nothing, until I came upon my own mum making one herself, a soft toy, for my nephews. Thats when I knew.. the infection had gotten into my family O.o

But honestly I don't think much to them, they don't offend, its just a brightly colored fad that will die out eventually. They don't leave much of an impact, where as characters alike Wall-e or the characters from UP leave more of an impression on me.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin