Oprah speaks for atheists rather than listen.

Started by Brian37, October 15, 2013, 07:45:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian37

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/oprah-you-ca ... the-world/

Oprah, like most theists think there has to be magic in something if it is "pretty". No there is not so nice stuff in the world too, and neither the "awe" inspiring things in life nor the not so nice stuff needs a bearded man with a magic wand vs a man with a pitchfork to explain.

It is a sick thought to me to think of "all this" in which we live in being game pieces for two narcissistic characters fighting over the neurons in our brains as if we were prizes.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

SGOS

Theists speak for atheists
Oprah is a theist
Oprah speaks for atheists

The first premise is flawed, so the rest of the logic is meaningless.

But that being said, Oprah has not been certified as a brilliant women.  I know people that love her and give out a sigh when they talk about how much they adore her, but none of them actually say she would make a good match for Albert Einstein.  She's just a sweet babbling airhead that has captured the public's attention.

Plu

The title of the article is "Oprah: You Can't Be an Atheist If You 'Believe in the Awe and Wonder' of the World", so I'm pretty sure that it follows that Oprah speaks for atheists.

SGOS

Quote from: "Plu"The title of the article is "Oprah: You Can't Be an Atheist If You 'Believe in the Awe and Wonder' of the World", so I'm pretty sure that it follows that Oprah speaks for atheists.
I say the title of he article is gibberish. :-D

Brian37

Quote from: "SGOS"Theists speak for atheists
Oprah is a theist
Oprah speaks for atheists

The first premise is flawed, so the rest of the logic is meaningless.

But that being said, Oprah has not been certified as a brilliant women.  I know people that love her and give out a sigh when they talk about how much they adore her, but none of them actually say she would make a good match for Albert Einstein.  She's just a sweet babbling airhead that has captured the public's attention.

Huh? If she was not projecting her flawed logic on atheists she would make such an absurd claim.

Airhead? No, she has smarts, but smart people can believe absurd stuff too.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

SGOS

Quote from: "Brian37"Airhead? No, she has smarts, but smart people can believe absurd stuff too.
Smart people who believe in absurd stuff can't be airheads?

Brian37

Quote from: "SGOS"
Quote from: "Brian37"Airhead? No, she has smarts, but smart people can believe absurd stuff too.
Smart people who believe in absurd stuff can't be airheads?

Context. She knows her shit as far as creating personal wealth, so no I wouldn't call her an Airhead on that topic. But yea, certainly when talking about god claims, sure.

Her saving grace is that she is for minority rights and gay marriage and voted for Obama. But that doesn't make her god claims any more true than that of a liberal Muslim or Liberal Jew.

GrinningYMIR

Even in this modern day and age, people are astounded that atheists exist and that we aren't blood thirsty murderers or communists.
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Brian37

Quote from: "GrinningYMIR"Even in this modern day and age, people are astounded that atheists exist and that we aren't blood thirsty murderers or communists.

Yet the modern monotheists of the big three, have a head character who was not voted into office, you cant remove him from office, and they call us commies?

FrankDK

Matthew 19:21: "If you want to be perfect, go and sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor."  [Jesus speaking.]

Oprah isn't a Christian.  Besides that, she's bearing false witness against atheists.  They don't call them the "Ten Suggestion."

Frank

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "GrinningYMIR"Even in this modern day and age, people are astounded that atheists exist and that we aren't blood thirsty murderers or communists.

We aren't??!!?   #-o

FrankDK

> Even in this modern day and age, people are astounded that atheists exist and that we aren't blood thirsty murderers or communists.

Jesus' teachings are much more in line with communists than with capitalists.

Frank

GSOgymrat

Many theists don't understand the atheist perspective and I see Oprah as struggling to understand the concept. She associates wonder and inspiration with God and was trying to use that as a point of commonality. She got it wrong but at least she was trying to understand.

GrinningYMIR

QuoteGrinningYMIR wrote:
Even in this modern day and age, people are astounded that atheists exist and that we aren't blood thirsty murderers or communists.

josephpallazo wrote:
We aren't??!!? #-o

Not on Tuesdays, we have to get a day off you know.
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Brian37

Quote from: "FrankDK"Matthew 19:21: "If you want to be perfect, go and sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor."  [Jesus speaking.]

Oprah isn't a Christian.  Besides that, she's bearing false witness against atheists.  They don't call them the "Ten Suggestion."

Frank

Um since when? This  is as stupid as when conspiracy nuts claim Obama isn't.

You do realize I have also argued with atheists who have used the "true atheist" argument.

How you wish others would behave does not change the actually positions they view in their own head.

Your quote may demonstrate cherry picking, but that is it.

In reality I think humans stupidly fall for everything being "either/or" propositions when reality is mixed and overlapping.

Do the wealthy in the west need to do a better job taking care of those who make them rich? YES. But ridding a society of personal wealth would simply shift that money to an oppressive nationalistic state like the Soviet Union, or shift that wealth to a theocracy like Saudi Arabia.

I will take her at her word if she says she is a Christian just like I would Jerry Falwell. At their core, despite their different interpretation, they both have the same holy book, and same cast of characters they believe to be real.

Same with atheists. Our only common core is the "off" position on the claims of god/s. But our political views and degrees of education are just as varied.

You are committing the "true Scotsman" fallacy.