Atheists: Do you wear crosses, even though you don't believe

Started by MmmAtlas, October 12, 2013, 05:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PickelledEggs

Actually, oddly enough... I just found out my brother claims to be agnostic even though he wears a crucifix. He says its because it represents a good person...

irish

Quote from: "Johan"The previous owners left a decent size pile of odds and ends in our current house when we bought it including a few religious objects. The first time we came to the house after closing, I don't think we were in the door more than 60 seconds when my wife pulled the crucifix off the wall and put it in the trash bag.

And that signified what?
Irish.

irish

Quote from: "_Xenu_"
Quote from: "SGOS"
Quote from: "_Xenu_"Holy Moley, what a troll-ey. You do realize that an upside down cross is considered a sacred symbol by Catholicism, right? Its because St. Peter choose to be crucified that way.
What, they give you a choice?  How would you like to be crucified?  Right side up, upside down, or sideways?  

Well, upside down, of course!
According to legend, St. Peter considered himself unworthy to be crucified the same way as Jesus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_of_St._Peter

It is tradition that Peter was crucified upside down but it is an excellent point to discern if he was really given a choice of the directional issues of the crucifixion.
Irish.

irish

Quote from: "Savior2006"On CF, I've heard of perhaps one atheist that wore religious bling. That's assuming the Christian wasn't lying to me.

I know two atheists that wear crosses.  One to  mock Christianity with to others.  (3rd grade mentality) and the other because she is still searching for something more in her life.
Irish.

Atheon

Quote from: "Johan"The previous owners left a decent size pile of odds and ends in our current house when we bought it including a few religious objects. The first time we came to the house after closing, I don't think we were in the door more than 60 seconds when my wife pulled the crucifix off the wall and put it in the trash bag.
Reminds me about the day I moved into my first-ever house , which I removed a picture of Ronald Reagan that the previous owners had left, and tossed it in the garbage where it belonged.

I have never worn a cross and never will.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Thumpalumpacus

<insert witty aphorism here>

Indiscriminalist

I wore two crosses and a St. Christopher's medal for a long time, but I was never religious. They were given to me by Catholic family members and I felt guilty not wearing them, it was almost an obligation.

Now I wear an Italian pepper.
What if you're wrong about the great juju at the bottom of the sea?

frosty

Wearing crosses is a long tradition of human decoration, basically stating "this is me, this is what I believe, look at it, this is what I am a part of". Although I wouldn't expect Christians to appreciate anybody delving into the psychological reasons of why people wear crosses, it seems like Christians don't like researching anything except what proves them right.

aitm

perhaps tattoos and piercings led the way, followed by jewelry and now back to tats and stabs.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

DRACONICSTARZX

The cross is a pagan symbol that was adored in Egypt thousands of years before Jesus was born. The Roman Catholic Church adopted the cross symbol at least 600 years after Jesus was supposedly crucified. Even the early Christians of North Africa rejected the wooden cross after Tertullian condemned it.
I forgot my other account password and the password to it's email-draconic aiur

Mermaid

Quote from: "irish"

And that signified what?
Irish.
It signified my paying homage to Dumpster Jesus.

(I'm Johan's wife, just for reference).
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

atheist_in_a_foxhole

I tend to stay away from displaying torture devices.

jumper

Moralnihilist

I have no aversion to wearing a cross, nor do I have an aversion to displaying them in my home. I have several crosses on artwork in my home(I am a HUGE Gothic Art fan). And like christards or not lets be honest, they did make some of the worlds most beautiful buildings.
Science doesn't give a damn about religions, because "damns" are not measurable units and therefore have no place in research. As soon as it's possible to detect damns, we'll quantize perdition and number all the levels of hell. Until then, science doesn't care.

the2ndcominofjebus

I'd wear a cross just to get idiots excited upon meeting me.. then I'd lower the boom! The anti-christ boom. But no, I wouldn't wear a cross. I'm glad people do wear crosses, then you know what you're dealing with.
"If god doesn\'t like the way I live, let him tell me, not you."

"Give a man a fish, and you\'ll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he\'ll starve to death while praying for a fish."