Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

What is your view on apathy

Started by Graniona123, October 12, 2013, 10:46:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

I don't agree with the new neo-apathy.

Johan

If apathy were honesty, I could not tell a lie.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Sal1981

As long as there is no call to action, I don't see any danger in apathy.

The problem starts when people are apathetic when a response is necessary.

dgirl1986

I do not really have an opinion on it. It is what it is. You cannot force interest or care on something.

GrinningYMIR

"Apathy is death"

That's been said to me before, I'm laid back to a fault really. Something really shitty can happen and I'll just deal with it, without having the huge emotional response.

For instance: when my mom got diagnosed with breast cancer I just sighed and cracked upon a soda, sat on the couch and, asked when she was going to have her surgery. (she ended up getting her breasts completely removed in 2011)

Is being ultra laid back apathy? Not quite, but the two are related.
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Jason78

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"That was the shortest line you could find, wasn't it?

Yes.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Sal1981

Quote from: "Shiranu"Apathy is...
A close brother to procrastination.

Shol'va

Quote from: "Sal1981"As long as there is no call to action, I don't see any danger in apathy.

The problem starts when people are apathetic when a response is necessary.
Exactly.
And in addition to that, we are all apathetic. The question is towards what.

FinalSomnia

Apathy? I could take it or leave it.
Heaven is no more than a carrot on a string at the end of a tunnel; Hell is no more than a gunbarrel at the back of your head.  When we are good people for the sake of being good people, we\'ll have no further use for religion.

Aupmanyav

It is prohibited in Hinduism:

"Karmanni eva adhik?rah te, m? phale?u kad?chana;
m? karma-phala-hetuh bh?h, m? te sa?gah astu akarma?i." Bhagawad-Gita 2.47
SYNONYMS

karma?i — in prescribed duties; eva — certainly; adhik?ra? — right; te — of you; m? — never; phale?u — in the fruits; kad?cana — at any time; m? — never; karma-phala — in the result of the work; hetu? — cause; bh?? — become; m? — never; te — of you; sa?ga? — attachment; astu — there should be; akarma?i — in not doing prescribed duties.
TRANSLATION

(You right extends only to perform your duty, but not to the fruits of action;
Never consider yourself the (only) cause of the results of your actions*, never be attached to inaction.)

* There are many other variables involved.
"Brahma Satyam Jagan-mithya" (Brahman is the truth, the observed is an illusion)
"Sarve Khalu Idam Brahma" (All this here is Brahman)

Aupmanyav

It is prohibited in Hinduism:

"Karmanni eva adhik?rah te, m? phale?u kad?chana;
m? karma-phala-hetuh bh?h, m? te sa?gah astu akarma?i." Bhagawad-Gita 2.47

(You right extends only to perform your duty, but not to the fruits of action;
Never consider yourself the (only) cause of the results of your actions*, never be attached to inaction.)

* There are many other variables involved.
"Brahma Satyam Jagan-mithya" (Brahman is the truth, the observed is an illusion)
"Sarve Khalu Idam Brahma" (All this here is Brahman)

Solitary

I'm an apathetic, sympathetic, diabetic old man with a tendency towards procrastination and sloth and I love it. :shock:  :P  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

GrinningYMIR

QuoteI'm an apathetic, sympathetic, diabetic old man with a tendency towards procrastination and sloth and I love it. :shock: :P Solitary

Procrastination gives you something to do tomorrow
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit