I may know why Christianity is more popular in USA than EU

Started by Graniona123, October 12, 2013, 05:41:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Graniona123

In USA, it is considered hip and cool. Country of freedom etc :P
But i find it ironic, because USA is known for being the God mockers when it comes to media, etc :P

//http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_OTz-lpDjw

While in Europe it is considered boring. But some may like history value of religion etc.

Just my conclusion, what do you think?

SGOS

QuoteIn USA, it is considered hip and cool.
I don't get the impression Americans do it to be hip.  It seems to me it's more like they are doing it because they are afraid for their souls.
QuoteCountry of freedom etc :P
I don't know what this would have to do with it.  I don't see the relationship.
But i find it ironic, because USA is known for being the God mockers when it comes to media, etc :PI've never heard that before.

Colanth

It's the "I don't understand America at all" view of America.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

leo

Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

Plu

I think it has more to do with how americans are still a bit more group/community driving while many nations in europe are super individualistic. Many Americans still identify themselves as "republican" or "democrat" or "texan" or "christian". Many europeans in highly atheist countries have to be beaten over the head repeatedly before they are willing to name any groups they really feel they belong to. Except maybe supporters for their football team, or something.

AllPurposeAtheist

The notion of manifest destiny, that the western hemisphere somehow was where GAWD sent people to rule the world and all that gibberish..
Having thousands of miles of open ocean to separate us from the wars that raged in Europe let us develop a huge economy and of course the song and dance of God Bless America so many fell hook, line and sinker over..
Let's not forget the godbrothers also got their hands on a LOT of the gold and with gold comes power and the ability to shape opinion..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"
Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"Having thousands of miles of open ocean to separate us from the wars that raged in Europe let us develop a huge economy...

Good point. Didn't think of it that way. Thanks.
My pleasure. :)
I'm bored too, but fixing quotes fills the void.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Nonsensei

As an american, my impressions are the opposite of yours, OP. At least where America is concerned.

To my impression it isn't hip and cool to be a Christian (or in this case any religion except Islam). Its required to be considered a decent person.

And there isn't a lot of god mocking going on in the media. In fact lip service is paid to religious beliefs on an almost constant basis. On CNN or FOX news during disaster coverage there is, without fail, a point during the broadcast where the anchor brings up prayer and belief in a higher power.

On the other hand, being an outspoken god mocker on national TV does nothing but ensure you never again appear on national TV. Theres a long list of things you can't ever do on television, and being an even slightly aggressive atheist is one of them. If you are an atheist on TV you better be nothing more than a punching bag with a confused, absent look on your face or you aren't coming back.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you'll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

Colanth

Quote from: "Nonsensei"If you are an atheist on TV you better be nothing more than a punching bag with a confused, absent look on your face or you aren't coming back.
Two words.  Bill Maher.  Two more.  George Carlin.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Hydra009

To answer the OP:  insecurity.

Also, the US has long lacked most of the social safety nets of Europe and has relied extensively on churches for charity.  And from the pioneer days, the church has acted as the center of community, as a town hall of sorts.  And finally, there's the idea that the US's lack of an established church allowed for fierce competition between religious organizations, leading to "innovations" which were more able to attract more people and keep them coming back.

sdelsolray

Quote from: "Graniona123"I may know why Christianity is more popular in USA than EU

(snip)

Then again, you may not.

mykcob4

Quote from: "SGOS"
QuoteIn USA, it is considered hip and cool.
I don't get the impression Americans do it to be hip.  It seems to me it's more like they are doing it because they are afraid for their souls.
QuoteCountry of freedom etc :P
I don't know what this would have to do with it.  I don't see the relationship.
But i find it ironic, because USA is known for being the God mockers when it comes to media, etc :PI've never heard that before.
I think Americans are far less educated than most Europeans and therefor more likely to follow a mythology rather than logic. Logic is hard and it takes self discipline. Christianity is easy because all you have to do is follow and do what everyone else is doing.

Nonsensei

Quote from: "Colanth"
Quote from: "Nonsensei"If you are an atheist on TV you better be nothing more than a punching bag with a confused, absent look on your face or you aren't coming back.
Two words.  Bill Maher.  Two more.  George Carlin.

Yes, comedians are the exception because you can just laugh it off as a joke.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you'll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on