Syria monitors win Nobel Peace Prize

Started by SilentFutility, October 11, 2013, 05:25:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilentFutility

Click me

Disgusting.

Thousands die and the world makes a symbolic gesture and sits idley by and a Nobel Peace Prize is awarded?

Jason78

Seems like they are handing those awards out like candy now.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Shiranu

Several hundred thousands have die... but lets give the guys who responded to several hundred a peace prize.

Oh, after several chemical attacks had already been carried out over several months now. And the war itself wages on. And they are no closer to the war actually ending. And they had no part in the solution that was presented in getting the weapons out. And...

Yeah, fuck that.

I would be okay with the refugee providers being given the prize, because...

A. They are actually getting shit done.
B. There is a monetary reward, no? If there is, then that would provide money to help deal with the continue influx of refugees.

I think Nobel would be disappointed in what a joke his apology has been turned into.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Eric1958

Ok, so you guys think that we should invade Syria and be the world's police? No? I didn't think so. The world is doing what it can without using force and I don't really think that we have any good alternatives.

On the other hand, I was really hoping that they'd give it to that girl who was almost killed in Afghanistan for going to school and speaking out for the rights of women to get an education. Especially since they gave it to Obama for doing little more than getting elected.

SilentFutility

Quote from: "Eric1958"Ok, so you guys think that we should invade Syria and be the world's police? No? I didn't think so. The world is doing what it can without using force and I don't really think that we have any good alternatives.
No I don't, and you've pretty much said it yourself, they are kind of doing a bit but not really much. Is that worth recognition for extraordinary acts toward creating peace? I don't think so.

Quote from: "Eric1958"On the other hand, I was really hoping that they'd give it to that girl who was almost killed in Afghanistan for going to school and speaking out for the rights of women to get an education. Especially since they gave it to Obama for doing little more than getting elected.
While her story is amazing, and she is definitely an extremely brave girl who I'm sure will grow into a remarkable woman, arguably she hasn't actually brought about a peaceful resolution to a conflict. I'd still rather she got the award though, she is promoting dialogue with the Taliban, the very group(s) who shot her.

Quote from: "Jason78"Seems like they are handing those awards out like candy now.
Yeah I was a bit disappointed when I didn't get one in my cornflakes this morning.

Jmpty

You know that it wasn't just about Syria, right? That these guys have been working at this for quite a while. As with authors, this award is not given for an "event," but for a body of work.

"The OPCW's Ahmet Uzumcu said the organisation had been working "with quiet determination to rid the world of these heinous weapons", away from the spotlight, for the past 16 years."
???  ??

Agramon

Quote from: "Jmpty"You know that it wasn't just about Syria, right? That these guys have been working at this for quite a while. As with authors, this award is not given for an "event," but for a body of work.

"The OPCW's Ahmet Uzumcu said the organisation had been working "with quiet determination to rid the world of these heinous weapons", away from the spotlight, for the past 16 years."
This. I was initially pissed until I came across this info. Syria is just their most recent work.
"And, tricked by our own early dream
And need of solace, we grew self-deceived,
Our making soon our maker did we deem,
And what we had imagined we believed."
- Thomas Hardy

Eric1958

Did they give one to lady Diane years ago? For her work at helping to get rid of landmines.

bericks999

Jesus christ, you'd think they could give the award to someone other than a group of people just doing the job they are paid to do!!

Also, finally, I'm at 1k post(s)..what a slacker I am!!!!
... I swear, one day religion is going to physically poison me to death.

SGOS

They really need to stop handing those things out until someone does something to deserve the level of recognition that the prize implies.  Recent selections have become a joke.  I doubt that's the level of dignity Alfred Nobel had in mind for the reputation of the Nobel Prizes.