News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Well hello.

Started by Hubert Farnham, October 09, 2013, 08:01:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plu

Quote from: "Hubert Farnham"
Quote from: "Plu"A lot of things, but "This is the completely arbitrary line I personally decided on" would probably the most honest answer possible.

Was the line wrong? If it was wrong, where exactly was it wrong?

The line is not wrong, just arbitrary. The "wrong" part only comes from you thinking your line is somehow more than just a personal, arbitrary line.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: "stromboli"Yeesh. Have fun, kiddies. I going to go eat some freshly murdered bacon and some aborted chicken fetuses.

Bon appetite. What was the name of the pig?
And don't forget to pet your dog while you're at it. It's lucky that it is not tasty, otherwise you'd kill it, too.
Oh dogs are quite tasty, to be sure, but I generally prefer not to eat anything I've developed a pet-bias for. That is a trait which, you will find, I share with most people.

Also, and this has nothing to do with anything, I'm told that human flesh tastes similar to pork. Humans generally don't eat each other, so our refusal to do so probably has little to do with how tasty we are. Personally, I blame that whole "pack behavior" thing I mentioned earlier. But, well, who am I? :lol:
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Mister Agenda

Quote from: "Mister Agenda"Would you repeat the explanation, please, because I must have missed it. We eat meat because we evolved to do so. Chimps don't balk at eating meat, either. That doesn't make it right, but the reason for eating meat is fundamentally different from the reason for burning heretics.

We don't have to do what we evolved to do, because we are human and we have an intellect of our own, which helps us decide what is right and what is wrong.

Right, you can't get from an 'is' to an 'ought'. If I asserted that it's okay to eat meat because that's what we evolved to eat, I would be committing the naturalistic fallacy.

Quote from: "Hubert Farnham"Just like a religion, the reasonings behind eating meat are products of belief, and just like a religion, it "justifies" killing and torturing of innocent creatures, that live and feel the pain all the same.

There is no reasoning or product of belief behind eating meat. It's what humans do, everywhere they are found, unless they have adopted a belief system that teaches them not to do it. There are cultures that couldn't survive in the regions they live in without meat (Inuit in the Arctic, for instance). People don't typically justify eating meat, they just do it. Justifications for eating meat are usually ad hoc, when confronted with someone demanding an explanation for the behavior.

Quote from: "Hubert Farnham"The "reason" night be different, however, I don't think you can find another reason for burning heretics.

There is no other reason to eat meat. We eat it because we evolved to do so and it is nutritious.

Quote from: "Hubert Farnham"What if he was tasty? Would his burning be more justified?

We don't kill people for food because it is against our natural inclination (probably an evolved trait that we can overcome, just like omnivorousness) and a society that allowed it internally probably wouldn't last long.

Quote from: "Hubert Farnham"Can we live normally without it? Yes, we do.
That's, after all, is the only needed reason to stop it.

The part you're skipping is the part you need to address. Why should we not eat meat? Hint: That religious people have used religious reasons to justify killing human beings is entirely irrelevant to this question.
Atheists are not anti-Christian. They are anti-stupid.--WitchSabrina

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: "Hubert Farnham"I'm sorry that you think that you're just an animal - usually people have more value in themselves and actually respect their own intellect and an ability to have morality and decisions. Well, not your case, I guess.
:-|

Folks, I do believe this man has just outed himself as some sort of Creationist. I can't think of another group who thinks humans are something other than animals.
Explains why he's such an idiot, if nothing else.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Jason78

Quote from: "Jason78"
Quote from: "Plu"Make an estimation of how many bugs you kill every day as a side-effect of your house existing, the electricity you use to go on the internet, walking around, the packaging you use for your food, and all the other ways in which you affect the world around us.

If it's an honest guess and you're serious about all this, you'll cry yourself to sleep tonight.

Check out how many animal products are in things that aren't food.

Yeah, that is very problematic too.
Well, neither woman in my family will wear fur, of course - other than that, I guess it's something beyond my control.
If I were a millionaire, I might've been able to build somehow a life without using animal products...

One sure thing is - all the cosmetics/deodorants/washing stuff tested on animals is absolutely unacceptable and that is something that everyone can avoid.

So you're ok with the long suffering slow death as long as you're not too close to it, or it's beyond your control.  

How close do you have to be to it?  You wont wont wear fur, but would you sit in a leather seat?  

What if you were in a car with no brakes and you accidentally hit a deer, would it be ok to eat it?
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Mister Agenda

Quote from: "Hubert Farnham"Emotional?
How about logical?

I'm looking forward to you actually showing some logic instead of just using the word 'logic' a lot.

Quote from: "Hubert Farnham"Killing is not enough, because I more look for the word like "killing mercifully+cause suffering".
any sufficient word for that?

It's hard to find single words for concepts that contain a contradiction. I suggest making one up. I suggest 'brugnakate' because I think it sounds a little menacing and cruel.

Quote from: "Hubert Farnham"I'm sorry that you think that you're just an animal - usually people have more value in themselves and actually respect their own intellect and an ability to have morality and decisions. Well, not your case, I guess.

That we're animals is a biological fact. Nothing is 'just' one thing. You haven't gotten to the point of being justified in grading other people's morality because you haven't even attempt to explain why eating meat is wrong: you went straight to goading people. If I worked for the meat industry as a PR guy, I think I might be willing to pay people to do what you're doing here.

Quote from: "Hubert Farnham"But cool, you want to make the death less painful. How cute.
The gas chambers in concentration camps probably also looked humane to you. After all, nazis could just use the chainsaws...

There's no prize here for biggest jackass. No one goes to 'argument from you're like the Nazis' if they've got anything better.
Atheists are not anti-Christian. They are anti-stupid.--WitchSabrina

mykcob4

Quote from: "Hubert Farnham"My name is Alex, I'm an atheist and a vegetarian.
And I think every atheist should be like me, because there is no moral/ethical/logical reason for murdering anyone for the sake of having meat on a plate.

Nice to meet you all :)
Well 1 check out your teeth which are designed to eat vegetables and meat. As humans we evolved a large brain because we ate meat. So going against nature is never a good thing. So if you want to be a vegetarian, fine, that's your choice. I'll eat meat because it's natural to do so.

Graniona123

Can't say i'm an vegetarian, just reasons for food chains etc.. Meat is just what it is for me, but still cool. Welcome here :D