News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Computer Question

Started by Jmpty, October 08, 2013, 10:26:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jmpty

So, I got a new computer a few months ago. I7 Processor, should be fast, but I have an issue with web pages that don't seem to want to load properly. A lot of times, they load half way, and I have to refresh the page to get them to load. Kaspersky anti virus. Any ideas?
???  ??

Plu

What browser and OS are you using?

_Xenu_

Its Windows 8 unless OP made a conscious decision to get 7. I would recommend trying a new browser. If speed is your primary concern, try Safari.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

wolf39us

Safari is good, Also try Chrome.

Also, can we have an idea of what kind of internet you're running?  Your internet might be the problem...

Jmpty

Windows 7 with time warner broadband. Internet explorer browser. I'll try chrome.
???  ??

stromboli

Right. Had a similar problem with mine- also Windows 7. Which is why I mostly browse on Chrome. Big difference.

(edit)

The one issue I did have is for some reason Netflix doesn't work with Chrome. Apparently there is a conflict with their software, which I think is Windows based, or something. I contacted them and they told me to use IE.

Johan

I definitely recommend chrome over IE. Also you might want to try temporarily disabling your anti virus software next time pages stop loading just to verify That it isn't contributing to the problem.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Atheon

I use Chrome for most things.

I use Firefox (with DownloadHelper) to download videos from YouTube or elsewhere, and to download podcasts from XML pages.

I use IE to download Chrome and Firefox after installing Windows.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

LikelyToBreak

Might try cleaning out your cookies.  The easiest way, IMO, is to install ccleaner, its' easy to use and does a pretty good job. Its' a free download here: //http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Of course, if you clear out your cookies regularly, then ignore me.

Johan

I would recommend against the use of ccleaner or any other 'miracle utilities' unless you know exactly what you're doing and why you're doing it. Especially if your only intention is to clear cookies. Every browser allows you to clear cookies without the need for any additional software.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

LikelyToBreak

Johan, I don't think ccleaner is one of those "miracle utilities."  When I was pretty new to computers I tried some of the those "miracle utilities" with the free trial which you then had to pay for after the trial period.  And they messed up my computer big time.  Then I tried ccleaner and never had a problem with it.  Been using it for years now.  I have not tried it on Windows 8 though.  Probably should have mentioned that.  I found it pretty intuitive to use.  

That being said, Johan is right in being leery of any utility software.  Always back up and set a restore point before trying any of them.  Just a suggestion.

wolf39us

You know I've had my same installation of windows on my computer for almost a year now... I download Microsoft Antivirus and regularly update.  My computer is as fast as a fresh install and I never have issues...

Truly your best antivirus is YOU.  Don't download stupid shit... And DONT use cracked software from an untrusted source!  Always review software before installing... Never run an unknown executable... Never unzip an unfamiliar folder.

Truly I haven't gotten a virus since the I<3U virus was out... That was a LONG time ago.

Edit:  One more thing, FUCK Norton and FUCK Symantec! :-)

Johan

Quote from: "LikelyToBreak"Johan, I don't think ccleaner is one of those "miracle utilities."  When I was pretty new to computers I tried some of the those "miracle utilities" with the free trial which you then had to pay for after the trial period.  And they messed up my computer big time.  Then I tried ccleaner and never had a problem with it.  Been using it for years now.  I have not tried it on Windows 8 though.  Probably should have mentioned that.  I found it pretty intuitive to use.  
I can certainly appreciate that you've used it for years without a problem. But I can also appreciate that I used to make a decent living fixing computers. And I cannot tell you how many times I'd be making a diagnosis on a machine that had the little ccleaner icon on the desktop. Often there would be a laundry list of strange things the machine was doing or not doing. I would always ask two questions. When did this or that strange behavior start and when did that ccleaner program get installed. Almost without fail, the answers would be along the lines of ccleaner was installed about a month an half ago and the weird issues started a little over a month ago.

Correlation isn't causation but I don't think anyone can blame me if I tend to see dollar signs when ccleaner gets mentioned as a solution. I made a lot of money working on machines which had that program installed. I don't think its a coincidence. And I don't think those machines would have turned into revenue for me regardless of whether or not they had used that little program. Because if that were the case I surely would have heard the strange problems showed up three months ago and ccleaner was installed three weeks ago. I don't think I ever heard that. It was always the machine had a little problem, ccleaner was installed, then the machine had big problems and then they called me. And then they paid me.

I'm sure it works great for some people like yourself. But I'm positive it makes money for a ton of computer techs.

And again, recommending anyone use that program or any other just to clear browser cookies? The risk to reward just isn't there for me when 5 minutes spent on google could teach anyone on the planet how to clear the cookies in any browser they might have with no addition software or risk exposure.

Jason78

Quote from: "wolf39us"Truly your best antivirus is YOU.  Don't download stupid shit... And DONT use cracked software from an untrusted source!  Always review software before installing... Never run an unknown executable... Never unzip an unfamiliar folder.

I use Microsoft security essentials and the above.  Proper housekeeping also helps your computer to stay fast and efficient.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Jason78

Quote from: "LikelyToBreak"Might try cleaning out your cookies.  

What possible effect would that have?
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato