News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Most Christians are atheists

Started by mediumaevum, October 02, 2013, 10:44:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colanth

Quote from: "mediumaevum"Christians believe in forgiveness. Yet the Westernized world's most christian nation, the U.S. has the death penalty, backed by even the most christians of all christians.

That would mean christians aren't really christian after all.
That would mean that that most Christian organization, the Supreme Sacred Congregation of the Holy Office, the oldest congregation of the Roman Curia, isn't Christian either.

Or that you don't even have a hat to talk through.  If the oldest extant sect of Christianity isn't Christian, there's no such thing as "Christian".
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

MrsSassyPants

If you don't chew big red then FUCK YOU!

Johan

Quote from: "mediumaevum"
Quote from: "Jason78"It makes you Jewish doesn't it?

No, because I don't believe in one God.

I also gladly eat pork.
Those things don't prevent you from being jewish. They just prevent you from being good at it.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

bericks999

Quote from: "Hijiri Byakuren"
Quote from: "Hydra009"
Quote from: "Hijiri Byakuren"Atheist means lack of belief in deities, and however well Christians may or may not hold to the tenets of their religion they most definitely do believe in one.
:-D

Finally, I think we agree!
Unless we're talking about Christian Atheists of course, but that's neither here nor there.

[ Image ]
I do believe it was atheist christian, not christian atheist, right?
... I swear, one day religion is going to physically poison me to death.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: "bericks999"I do believe it was atheist christian, not christian atheist, right?
Either way it's still fucking stupid. :roll:
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

bericks999

Quote from: "Hijiri Byakuren"
Quote from: "bericks999"I do believe it was atheist christian, not christian atheist, right?
Either way it's still fucking stupid. :roll:
Agreed!
... I swear, one day religion is going to physically poison me to death.

FrankDK

>  If the oldest extant sect of Christianity isn't Christian, there's no such thing as "Christian".

There's a difference between BEING Christian, and professing to be Christian.

The organization that sponsored the Crusades, the Inquisition, and inspired the Holocaust hardly qualifies as Christian.

According to the Bible, Jesus issued many commands and examples of the powers that would accrue to believers.  "Sell all that you have and give the money to the poor," is pretty clear.  No one who hasn't done that is really a Christian, no matter what they claim.  And if someone believed, according to Jesus, they should be able to heal the sick with a touch, and everything they pray for would happen.  I know of no one who can do that.

So, unlike the "no true Scotsman" fallacy, there really are few or no Christians.

Frank

the_antithesis

Quote from: "Plu"
QuoteChristians believe in forgiveness.

If only it was so easy to be able to make any kind of statements about christians. It seems the only thing christians have in common is calling themselves christians, everything else is optional.

I'd say that christians believe in forgiveness for themselves. Other people are a different matter.

MrsSassyPants

I want to know which part of his brain told him to join atheist forum.  The total dumbass or really fucking stupid side????
If you don't chew big red then FUCK YOU!

Colanth

Quote from: "Johan"
Quote from: "mediumaevum"
Quote from: "Jason78"It makes you Jewish doesn't it?

No, because I don't believe in one God.

I also gladly eat pork.
Those things don't prevent you from being jewish. They just prevent you from being good at it.
They don't prevent you from being culturally Jewish at all, they just prevent you from being an Orthodox Jew.

RaymanZ

I am against death penalty. But death is just unavoidable either way.
Helping people on the other hand is a good deed in itself, it feels good :D
//http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqlhBI3ES1s

Edit: Why religious believe death is bad. Well, people around will mourn. Just common sense :)

Colanth

Quote from: "RaymanZ"Why religious believe death is bad. Well, people around will mourn. Just common sense :)
It's not that they think it's bad, it's that they can't handle the concept that they will just stop existing.  So they invent a way to still be "alive" after they die.

aitm

Quote from: "mediumaevum"christians aren't really christian after all.

really no surprise there.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

AllPurposeAtheist

Mere faith should be universal in its applications. I believe in rich people and have talked to several in my 54 years. They've spoken to me. Therefore I believe I'll be rich.
The shitty part is I have to die to test this theory.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.