Church members ignore a homeless man...

Started by ApostateLois, September 19, 2013, 10:19:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smartmarzipan

Quote"We would like to introduce to you Pastor Jeremiah Steepek." The congregation looked around clapping with joy and anticipation.

The homeless man sitting in the back stood up and started walking down the aisle. The clapping stopped with all eyes on him.

He walked up the altar and took the microphone from the elders (who were in on this) and paused for a moment then he recited,

"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world.

"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

'The King will reply, 'Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.'

After he recited this, he looked towards the congregation and told them all what he had experienced that morning. Many began to cry and many heads were bowed in shame.

That was fucking beautiful.
Legi, Intellexi, Condemnavi.

"Religion is the human response to being alive and having to die." ~Anon

Inter arma enim silent leges

Aroura33

That was a great story. But snopes says it is indeed a story, fiction. However, we all know that in most churches, especially the evangellical megachurches, this is exactly what would happen. They hate the "undeserving poor" and do not even pretend to give a crap about homeless people. From what I have very recently come to understand, they believe that Jesus is returning soon as the sword, so basically none of his teaching matter anymore (except the ones about who you can marry, of course  #-o  ), so they are doing all they can to convert people, and bring about the end of the world asap so they can all get raptured.

Bunch of freaking, dangerous nutjobs.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

Smartmarzipan

Quote from: "Aroura33"That was a great story. But snopes says it is indeed a story, fiction.

Aw, damn. I guess it was just too good to be true.

Now I'm sad.
Legi, Intellexi, Condemnavi.

"Religion is the human response to being alive and having to die." ~Anon

Inter arma enim silent leges

Jason78

Caught out twice in one day?  Man I'm slipping :(
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

leo

Most christians are assholes . Nothing new here .
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

frosty

I wonder what authority snopes would have to declare a local news story as fake. Just because it's snopes doesn't mean they get to decide what's true or false as if they are some type of ominous authority. I tried searching for their article stating this never happened but I couldn't find it.

ApostateLois

Aww, too bad it's fake. Still drives home a point, though. NO Christian would recognize Jesus in their church. They wouldn't know him, and they wouldn't want to. He would start telling them things they don't want to hear, make them do things that would be uncomfortable. He'd be kicked out, posthaste. I just wanted to write "posthaste."
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"

AllPurposeAtheist

And that ladies and gentlemen is just hurtful, but funny. :-D
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Colanth

Snopes doesn't say it's fake, they say it's undetermined - because the only reference they can find to this guy is this story.

If you want to see this happening all the time, if you're in the NYC area, hang around the Watchtower (DUMBO) on cold winter nights (if they don't move first).  Homeless people are definitely not wanted on their doorstep.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Simon Moon

The Bible mentions helping the poor 3000 times.

How many times does it mention homosexuality again?

Just more evidence that most Christians are the biggest hypocrites on the planet.
And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Tabula Rasa

This is one main reason I am not a Christian anymore!

Bigot Burner

Don't really care whether that story is true or false, because it's a very realistic scenario either way.
"Messianic fuckheads are a superstitious, cowardly lot, and I must strike fear into their hearts"

- Spider Jerusalem (a.k.a. Hunter S. Thompson in the future) paraphrasing Batman.