Hobby Lobby May Close 400 Stores Because Obamacare ?!?!?!?

Started by stromboli, October 01, 2013, 09:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

http://www.fromthetrenchesworldreport.c ... ates/59353

QuoteWhen my family and I started our company 40 years ago, we were working out of a garage on a $600 bank loan, assembling miniature picture frames. Our first retail store wasn't much bigger than most people's living rooms, but we had faith that we would succeed if we lived and worked according to God's word.

From there, Hobby Lobby has become one of the  nation's largest arts and crafts retailers, with more than 500 locations in 41 states. Our children grew up into fine business leaders, and today we run Hobby Lobby together, as a family.  

We're Christians, and we run our business on Christian principles. I've always said that the first two goals of our business are (1) to run our business in harmony with God's laws, and (2) to focus on people more than money. And that's what we've tried to do. We close early so our employees can see their families at night. We keep our stores closed on Sundays, one of the week's biggest shopping days, so that our workers and their families can enjoy a day of rest.

We believe that it is by God's grace that Hobby Lobby has endured, and he has blessed us and our employees. We've not only added jobs in a weak economy, we've raised wages for the past four years in a row. Our full-time employees start at  80% above minimum wage.

But now, our government threatens to change all of that.

A new government healthcare mandate says that our family business MUST provide what I believe are abortion-causing drugs as part of our health insurance. Being Christians, we don't pay for drugs that might cause abortions, which means that we don't cover emergency contraception, the morning-after pill or the week-after pill. We believe doing so might end a life after the moment of conception, something that is contrary to our most important beliefs.

http://voicesunborn.blogspot.com/2013/0 ... es-in.html

It goes against the Biblical principles on which we have run this company since day one.

If we refuse to comply, we could face $1.3 million PER DAY in government fines.

Our government threatens to fine job creators in a bad economy.

Our government threatens to fine a company that's raised wages four years running.

Our government threatens to fine a family for running its business according to its beliefs.  It's not right. I know people will say we ought to follow the  rules; that it's the same for everybody. But that's not true.

The government has exempted thousands of companies from this mandate, for reasons of convenience or cost.  But it won't exempt them for reasons of religious belief.

So, Hobby Lobby and my family are forced to make a choice. With great reluctance, we filed a lawsuit today, represented by the Becket Fund for Religious Liberty, asking a federal court to stop this mandate before it hurts our business. We don't like to go running into court, but we no longer have a choice. We believe people are more important than the bottom line and that honoring God is more important than turning a profit.

My family has lived the American dream. We want to continue growing our company and providing great jobs for thousands of employees, but the government is  going to make that much more difficult.

The government is forcing us to choose between following our faith and following the law.  I say that's a choice no American and no American business should have to make.

The government cannot force you to follow laws that go against your fundamental religious belief. They have exempted thousands of companies but will not except Christian organizations including the Catholic church.

Since you will not see this in the liberal media, please pass this on to all your contacts.

Sincerely,

David Green

CEO and Founder of Hobby Lobby Stores, Inc.

Let the children weep......

So, let me get this straight. They don't want to POTENTIALLY fund the morning after pill, birth control or anything that someone might use of their own free will because it contradicts their own values?  Um, ok.

hillbillyatheist

like my posts and thoughts? then check out my new blog. you can subscribe via email too, so that when its updated, you\'ll get an email, letting you know.

just click here

PopeyesPappy

Shit happens then you cut off your dick to spite your face. Makes sense to me.  :Hangman:
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Hijiri Byakuren

Part of me wants to say "good riddance."

The other part of me realizes that this is going to become ammo not just in the Tea-Bagger war machine against Obamacare, but also against "godless liberals" in general. Just watch the news for awhile, and I guarantee this is going to come up as another way in which Christians are being "oppressed" in the United States. Which means atheists are going to get some additional heat on ourselves. Just in time for the holidays, I might add.

Joyous indeed!
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

stromboli

Quote from: "Hijiri Byakuren"Part of me wants to say "good riddance."

The other part of me realizes that this is going to become ammo not just in the Tea-Bagger war machine against Obamacare, but also against "godless liberals" in general. Just watch the news for awhile, and I guarantee this is going to come up as another way in which Christians are being "oppressed" in the United States. Which means atheists are going to get some additional heat on ourselves. Just in time for the holidays, I might add.

Joyous indeed!

And on a personal note, thanks for the proper use of quotation marks.  :-D

sdelsolray

Quote from: "stromboli"http://www.fromthetrenchesworldreport.com/hobby-lobby-may-close-all-500-stores-in-41-states/59353

(snip)

Let the children weep......

So, let me get this straight. They don't want to POTENTIALLY fund the morning after pill, birth control or anything that someone might use of their own free will because it contradicts their own values?  Um, ok.

This business is a corporation.  Corporations do not have religious beliefs.  It is the fiduciary duty of the officers and directors of that corporation to operate the business in a legal and proper manner.  Providing healthcare for employees is a cost of large businesses such as this corporation.  The details of the medical care provided are only relevant to those covered by the insurance, i.e., the employees.

The shareholders of this corporation can certainly choose to close the entity's operations, and liquidate the company.  They can do so for whatever reason they choose.

Isn't America great?

LikelyToBreak

I hate seeing another small business, and it is a small business even with 400 locations, go out of business.  Still, them going out of business for the reasons they gave, I just can't feel sorry for them.  If the cost of doing business under Obamacare was the reason, I would feel sorry for them.  But, not because they can't do business in a secular society, because their religious beliefs won't allow them.  Well too bad.  If Muslims can't do business because of some crazy idea in the Koran, then too bad for them too.

Smartmarzipan

God DAMN it. They are the only craft store in my area right now and I was really hoping they wouldn't go full retard. There are only so many companies and brands I can boycott before it really starts to fuck with my purchases. I mean, I thought it was bad enough not buying anything from Nestle or Hershey or the brands they own....but now my yarn supply!?!? Fuck fuck fuck.

I can't wait for that fuckin' Joann Fabrics to be built at the mall.
Legi, Intellexi, Condemnavi.

"Religion is the human response to being alive and having to die." ~Anon

Inter arma enim silent leges

stromboli

Quote from: "Smartmarzipan"God DAMN it. They are the only craft store in my area right now and I was really hoping they wouldn't go full retard. There are only so many companies and brands I can boycott before it really starts to fuck with my purchases. I mean, I thought it was bad enough not buying anything from Nestle or Hershey or the brands they own....but now my yarn supply!?!? Fuck fuck fuck.

Quick Smarz, stock up! Stock up now! Oh the irony. I posted this in part because I was at Hobby Lobby like 4 hours ago buying a ruler.

Solitary

If they want to close shop because it is against their religious beliefs that are more important than following the law and take away benefits and jobs of their employees it's very Christian of them.  :shock:  But they're not in business for the money. Right! If their religious beliefs are so important to them don't go into business in a secular society---move to a theocratic one. Do they employ atheists and Muslims? I bet they don't, and also don't question the religious beliefs and practices of them that shop there and refuse their money. :P  :roll: Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

dawiw

This is because of too much regulations and shit.  I think Obama care has hurt more businesses than saving it.
I remain unconvinced by any claims anyone has ever made about the existence or the power of a divine force operating in the universe."
-Neil deGrasse Tyson.

_Xenu_

Quote from: "Smartmarzipan"God DAMN it. They are the only craft store in my area right now and I was really hoping they wouldn't go full retard. There are only so many companies and brands I can boycott before it really starts to fuck with my purchases. I mean, I thought it was bad enough not buying anything from Nestle or Hershey or the brands they own....but now my yarn supply!?!? Fuck fuck fuck.

I knew you would hate this. You've mentioned that you go there despite their Christian beliefs.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

Smartmarzipan

Quote from: "_Xenu_"

I knew you would hate this. You've mentioned that you go there despite their Christian beliefs.

I don't mind Christian beliefs *too* much....it bothers me when people use them to be dicks. At this point, it seems like Hobby Lobby is either going to win their fight and not have to give women certain health benefits, or they're going to close up and cost A LOT of people their jobs. Either way, they're being dicks.

And I'm pissed because I needed to go there this week and pick up a few things, but I'm torn. They're the only damn craft store within a hundred miles of me! Uuughhh....
Legi, Intellexi, Condemnavi.

"Religion is the human response to being alive and having to die." ~Anon

Inter arma enim silent leges

_Xenu_

I've never understood why religious beliefs should be separate from any other kind, but maybe thats just me. If you can't defend an idea, what difference does it make whether its religious or not?
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

Jason78

Quote from: "dawiw"This is because of too much regulations and shit.  I think Obama care has hurt more businesses than saving it.

Having semi-skilled workers wiped out by an epidemic would hurt business more.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato