News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

How can Christians love this god??

Started by Tabula Rasa, September 28, 2013, 09:17:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RaymanZ

When did this happen?
Jesus did say do not judge so that yourself won't be judge.
That's all i can say i guess.

Jason78

QuoteHow can Christians love this god??

Fear and cowardice.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

FrankDK

Quote from: "RaymanZ"When did this happen?

In John 7:24, Jesus tells us to judge: "Do not judge according to appearance, but judge righteous judgment."

This is a god who can't make up his mind.

Frank

RaymanZ

Quote from: "FrankDK"
Quote from: "RaymanZ"When did this happen?

In John 7:24, Jesus tells us to judge: "Do not judge according to appearance, but judge righteous judgment."

This is a god who can't make up his mind.

Frank

Oh, i didn't know this one had a contradiction.
Oh well, choose and pick ;)

Plu

QuoteOh, i didn't know this one had a contradiction.
Oh well, choose and pick ;)

That about sums it up :P

YurmaGetto

Mmm... i guess it all comes down to the past and the future. We shall bring forth better generation for our flock, so that they may enjoy the worlds good and create peace and love, we are all one ^^
Even if the past was like that before, we should look forward and enjoy life. Harmony and happiness for everyone ^^

aitm

meh.....here's a thought....even before you posted, we knew you...
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

prophet

"There is no peace," says my God, "for the wicked."

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: "prophet""There is no peace," says my God, "for the wicked."
The "wicked," to you, are the people with enough knowledge and presence of mind to comprehend the world's problems. Many of those problems are caused by people like yourself. If there is no peace for the "wicked," it is only because of assholes like you who continually afflict us with problems you should know better than to cause.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Eric1958

I propose a slightly different view. Say it's 1968 and everybody is a soldier. The Christians see themselves as "good", for the sake of argument we'll make them American soldiers. They are constantly told that the vietcong are "evil" enemy soldiers. Everything the enemy stands for is bad, evil and of the devil. Let's say you serve overseas and you witness our soldiers doing bad things. Mei Lie massacre and other such events. Do you witness against your own comrades? Not likely, they might have done something bad, but our side is the good side. If our boys do something bad it's because the other side is so evil that they were driven to it.

I'm getting a little off my train of thought, but the idea is that people like to see themselves as on the good side. They like things to be black and white, good and evil. Even if our general does something that looks bad, he's still a good guy and hey the winners get to write the history anyway.

By the way, in this scenario we are the conscientious objectors. We choose to not take sides.  We are the ones saying "your all full of crap" there is no good and evil.

bfiddy100

Quote from: "Tabula Rasa"I brought up some tough issues for some Christians to address about their god's justice. I said:

God foreknew that the Holocaust would happen, and people would die as Jews. Jews by definition do not accept Jesus as their saviour; therefore, those who died in the Holocaust as Jews went to hell. Yet God created them anyway?

If God did not know, then he is not omniscient, nor is he all-powerful. If he did know, then he is malevolent beyond belief.

The Christians said things like, "What does it matter how they died? They had a choice to accept Christ. God knows things we cannot know about everything."

:-x  I just don't get it! Do they not realise what they are saying? Those victims were REAL people with families! How can Christians justify this horror? This is the god they love and serve.

I'd like your thoughts on this.

-TR

The problem is that we don't understand our own sinfulness or God's holiness.  We see ourselves as good and therefore, if God treats us well then He is good and if He treats us poorly then He is evil.  That's why God's actions don't make sense to you.  You need to first have a Biblical view of yourself and of God.  To put things in perspective, do you wonder how people can love a judge who sends murderers and rapists to prison?

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "bfiddy100"
Quote from: "Tabula Rasa"I brought up some tough issues for some Christians to address about their god's justice. I said:

God foreknew that the Holocaust would happen, and people would die as Jews. Jews by definition do not accept Jesus as their saviour; therefore, those who died in the Holocaust as Jews went to hell. Yet God created them anyway?

If God did not know, then he is not omniscient, nor is he all-powerful. If he did know, then he is malevolent beyond belief.

The Christians said things like, "What does it matter how they died? They had a choice to accept Christ. God knows things we cannot know about everything."

:-x  I just don't get it! Do they not realise what they are saying? Those victims were REAL people with families! How can Christians justify this horror? This is the god they love and serve.

I'd like your thoughts on this.

-TR

The problem is that we don't understand our own sinfulness or God's holiness.  We see ourselves as good and therefore, if God treats us well then He is good and if He treats us poorly then He is evil.  That's why God's actions don't make sense to you.  You need to first have a Biblical view of yourself and of God.  To put things in perspective, do you wonder how people can love a judge who sends murderers and rapists to prison?

Do you realize the bible was written by bronze-age sheep herders who were vastly ignorant of how the universe works, or had a very primitive understanding of human psychology?!??!?

bfiddy100

Quote from: "josephpalazzo"Do you realize the bible was written by bronze-age sheep herders who were vastly ignorant of how the universe works, or had a very primitive understanding of human psychology?!??!?

Christians believe the Bible was written by God through men.  The claim that the men were ignorant and didn't know much of anything about anything is evidence for the Bible being written by God.  The more you attack the men God used to write the Bible the more you provide evidence for the claim that Someone more intelligent was actually behind it.  If a bunch of really smart, worldly people wrote the Bible then we shouldn't be too surprised that it became the world's best-seller.

FrankDK

> Christians believe the Bible was written by God through men. The claim that the men were ignorant and didn't know much of anything about anything is evidence for the Bible being written by God. The more you attack the men God used to write the Bible the more you provide evidence for the claim that Someone more intelligent was actually behind it. If a bunch of really smart, worldly people wrote the Bible then we shouldn't be too surprised that it became the world's best-seller.

Hardly.  The Bible says that the earth is flat, that the sun revolves around the earth and not the other way around, that diseases are caused by evil spirits, and loads of other malarkey.

One of many contradictions:
Exodus 20:13:  Thou shalt not kill.

Exodus 32:27:  Put, every man, his sword by his side, and go in and out from gate to gate throughout the camp, and slay every man his brother, and every man his companion, and everyman his neighbor.

In the Bible, your god is inadvertently made out to be an idiot, a liar, a murderer, and a psychopath.  If it had been written by a god, it would have no errors, contradictions, or stupidity in it.

The reason it has become a best-seller is the Roman short sword.  In Nazi Germany, the best seller was Mein Kampf.  That didn't make it true or written by a god.

Frank

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "bfiddy100"
Quote from: "josephpalazzo"Do you realize the bible was written by bronze-age sheep herders who were vastly ignorant of how the universe works, or had a very primitive understanding of human psychology?!??!?

Christians believe the Bible was written by God through men.  The claim that the men were ignorant and didn't know much of anything about anything is evidence for the Bible being written by God.  

Here's a list of contradictions: http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/ ... tions.html

If the bible is God's words through ignorant people, your God is a fucking moron. Lets put it this way: there should be some evidence that would distinguish real things from fantasy. If there is none-- then it makes sense to conclude they're fantasy.