News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

How can Christians love this god??

Started by Tabula Rasa, September 28, 2013, 09:17:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tabula Rasa

I brought up some tough issues for some Christians to address about their god's justice. I said:

God foreknew that the Holocaust would happen, and people would die as Jews. Jews by definition do not accept Jesus as their saviour; therefore, those who died in the Holocaust as Jews went to hell. Yet God created them anyway?

If God did not know, then he is not omniscient, nor is he all-powerful. If he did know, then he is malevolent beyond belief.

The Christians said things like, "What does it matter how they died? They had a choice to accept Christ. God knows things we cannot know about everything."

:-x  I just don't get it! Do they not realise what they are saying? Those victims were REAL people with families! How can Christians justify this horror? This is the god they love and serve.

I'd like your thoughts on this.

-TR

MrsSassyPants

I find religion to be completely useless.  It is a waste of energy and money and time.  I cant stand most of the christians i have met.  Terrible breed IMO.
If you don't chew big red then FUCK YOU!

MrsSassyPants

Christianity seems to breed the give me a handout and I will give you minimal or no return mentality.  SUCK SUCK SUCK life out.

Hijiri Byakuren

You've pretty much summed up Epicurus' "problem of evil":

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?"
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Solitary

We all have a way to adapt to the horrors of being alive or we parish. No pun intended.  :roll:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

PickelledEggs

It's simple. More times than not, religion takes the instinctive good in people and replaces it with shit.

In other words, they think that they love is meant to be designated for a being like that.

Solitary

Will someone explain to me what good any religion has done for any sentient creature outside of false hope that doesn't really help anyone but make them feel better like a psychiatrist. A bar tender can do that and better with two drinks.  :shock:  :lol:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: "Solitary"Will someone explain to me what good any religion has done for any sentient creature outside of false hope that doesn't really help anyone but make them feel better like a psychiatrist. A bar tender can do that and better with two drinks.  :shock:  :lol:  Solitary
The ONLY thing I can think of is consoling someone of the fear of death, for either themselves or for one of their loved ones. I can imagine that being of some help to someone of the extremely faint of heart.

Colanth

Quote from: "Tabula Rasa"The Christians said things like, "What does it matter how they died? They had a choice to accept Christ. God knows things we cannot know about everything."

:-x  I just don't get it! Do they not realise what they are saying? Those victims were REAL people with families! How can Christians justify this horror?
For one thing, they think that belief is a choice.  Most of them actually think that they CHOSE to believe in Jesus.

For another, it's a "I got mine, fuck you" mentality.

As for how they can love a god like that - if they don't they burn in hell forever, so they have no choice.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

ApostateLois

Funny how they know that God knows things that they can't know, but they can't tell us WHAT he knows about those things. What could God possibly know about Holocaust victims that would justify putting them in hell just for not believing in Jesus, the archetypal demigod myth?
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"

conn96

Christians like to pick Bible stories that only portray their god in a positive light. As positive stories are few to none in the Bible, they usually just take any old story from the Bible and somehow twist it into an all 'sunshine and rainbows' story. By the time that a person gets old enough to actually interpret the Bible for what it is, they are already so far indoctrinated that they just choose to continue their ignorance.

JohnS

If God created everything then he created evil and is, therefore, evil by definition.  He even admitted as much in the Bible. (Isaiah 45:7)  And even if you want to try to make the argument that God didn't create evil, you can't deny that he allows it to exist.  So in that case, he is either powerless or evil.  The bottom line in all of this is either God is evil or he doesn't exist.  I tend to believe the latter.

Colanth

Epicurus, who died in 270 BCE, posed the problem.  It's not a new idea.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

FrankDK

>  How can Christians justify this horror? This is the god they love and serve.

The Jews killed Jesus:

Matthew 27:25:  [Jesus'] blood be upon us [the Jews] and on our children.

They killed their own prophets:

1 Thessalonians 2:14,15:  For ye, brethren, became followers of the churches of God which in Judaea are in Christ Jesus: for ye also have suffered like things of your own countrymen, even as they have of the Jews:  Who both killed the Lord Jesus, and their own prophets,...

Exodus 32:27 has Moses saying that God instructs people to kill those who don't worship the same god as they do:  And Moses said, Thus saith the Lord God of Israel: Put, every man, his sword by his side, and slay every man his brother, and every man his companion, and every man his neighbor.

If God says to do it, it's OK.

Frank

MrsSassyPants

Firstbible2nd: and ye that read this will be forever scorned.