News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Motorsport anybody?

Started by JamesTheUnjust, September 30, 2013, 07:37:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesTheUnjust

Any motorsports enthusiasts around this joint anymore?

PopeyesPappy

Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

JamesTheUnjust

Quote from: "PopeyesPappy"Yes
You're quicker than most modern race cars it seems.

What are you into it, NASCAR, American-openwheel, Le mans, F1? I've been into it all at one time or another.

PopeyesPappy

There was a day when I followed NASCAR, Indy, Formula 1, WRC and a couple of the Le Mans type series. These days about all I have time for is some NASCAR and the occasional F1 race. Thinking about going to the F1 race in Austin this year.

JamesTheUnjust

Quote from: "PopeyesPappy"There was a day when I followed NASCAR, Indy, Formula 1, WRC and a couple of the Le Mans type series. These days about all I have time for is some NASCAR and the occasional F1 race. Thinking about going to the F1 race in Austin this year.
F1 is pretty watered down now if you ask me, and NASCAR died when they put this chase system into effect. My favorite racing series where in America where IMSA GTP, CART, and the old Busch series. Those where the good days for me. Now, I follow F1 kinda and I only watch the short tracks of NASCAR.

Solitary

I was when I was younger and even raced stock cars, but I got married and had a family and didn't want them to worry about me getting hurt or killed. So as luck would have it I got into heavy construction that is even more dangerous. I was really in to Formula One and sports car racing. I drove a Lola race car for fun at the Meadow dale race way before it shut down. I felt pretty good about averaging 190MPH until I heard the record was over 200MPH. I think they had a different car. :shock:  :lol:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

stromboli

Local track stock cars are a blast. Find one and go. Usually dirt tracks and a lot of dust and beer. Also local motocross tracks- watching teenagers hurt themselves is never a bad thing.  :-D

SilentFutility

Yes, yes, yes.
Have worked for a race team, have driven around the Nürburgring, love rallying and hoping to build a track car for circuit racing once I leave university (studying automotive engineering) and get a decent job. Would love to go stage rallying but that is serious, serious cash.

[youtube:2mrk7zjq]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtR5OOHZSp4[/youtube:2mrk7zjq]

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: "JamesTheUnjust"
Quote from: "PopeyesPappy"There was a day when I followed NASCAR, Indy, Formula 1, WRC and a couple of the Le Mans type series. These days about all I have time for is some NASCAR and the occasional F1 race. Thinking about going to the F1 race in Austin this year.
F1 is pretty watered down now if you ask me, and NASCAR died when they put this chase system into effect. My favorite racing series where in America where IMSA GTP, CART, and the old Busch series. Those where the good days for me. Now, I follow F1 kinda and I only watch the short tracks of NASCAR.
It is true that Formula 1 isn't what it used to be. While I'd like to see a rules package where the FIA basically hands each entry 200 KG of fuel and tells them to use it in what ever they want as long as it passes x, y, and z safety requirements the current rules are in place to cut back on costs for the teams. I have read that back in the late 80's the McLaren-Honda team was running on a half billion dollar budget. That didn't include engine costs as they were provided for free by Honda and probably put the total close to a billion dollars. Even today most teams can't come anywhere near that kind of funding and it sure would suck to have an F1 season with two teams because that is all that can afford to show up. having said that the cars today are faster than anything that ever came before despite the restricted budgets. Hell, there is even a little bit of passing for position due to DRS.

NASCAR as an organization sucks. I have no respect for the sanctioning body at all. But, it is still some of the most competitive racing in the world. The top ten qualifiers at Dover this past weekend were separated by less than 1/10 of a second. By contrast the top 10 qualifiers at Singapore the week before were separated by 1.5 seconds. The racing in NASCAR is as close as it gets.

ParaGoomba Slayer

Monster trucks were cooler when they crushed the cars as opposed to flying over them.
[size=150]Circumcision? HIS body, HIS decision.[/size]

[size=150]Your liberty to swing your fist ends just where my nose begins. This is very simple reasoning that is applied to everything, EXCEPT infant circumcision for some stupid fucking reason.[/size]

Solitary

Quote from: "PopeyesPappy"
Quote from: "JamesTheUnjust"
It is true that Formula 1 isn't what it used to be. While I'd like to see a rules package where the FIA basically hands each entry 200 KG of fuel and tells them to use it in what ever they want as long as it passes x, y, and z safety requirements the current rules are in place to cut back on costs for the teams. I have read that back in the late 80's the McLaren-Honda team was running on a half billion dollar budget. That didn't include engine costs as they were provided for free by Honda and probably put the total close to a billion dollars. Even today most teams can't come anywhere near that kind of funding and it sure would suck to have an F1 season with two teams because that is all that can afford to show up. having said that the cars today are faster than anything that ever came before despite the restricted budgets. Hell, there is even a little bit of passing for position due to DRS.

NASCAR as an organization sucks. I have no respect for the sanctioning body at all. But, it is still some of the most competitive racing in the world. The top ten qualifiers at Dover this past weekend were separated by less than 1/10 of a second. By contrast the top 10 qualifiers at Singapore the week before were separated by 1.5 seconds. The racing in NASCAR is as close as it gets.

The sounds of racing is what got me interested in hot cars. You haven't lived until you hear a competition 57 Ferrari V12 in a Testa Rosso with open exhaust at full bore up close. It's music to my ears. Also my son's hot rod with a full race 350 Chevy engine at idle. Sounds like a AAA dragster but not as loud. I love cars when they run, but hate it when they have problems, especially ones that mechanics can't find the reason why. I think any excellent dirt track racer can be any other kind of racer from my experience. I would feel a lot safer and rather be driving the cars in off road races rather than the idiots that stand on the outside of the corners. Dumb! Really dumb! Solitary

This car needs the mufflers removed, or at least a Borla exhaust.

There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Shiranu

I like watching the motorcycle races and of course the different rally race competitions.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur