The history of the internet atheist movement.

Started by Brian37, September 27, 2013, 06:32:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian37

Everyone knows the likes of Dawkins and Hitchens and Harris. But before they got on the radar of theists, and were mostly known only in atheist circles, a movement was taking place back in the mid to late 90s. Reginald Finley (AKA) The Infidel Guy and his friend Jake started the former Atheist Network. Sure many of you know this, but this is more for our newer and younger atheists.

Reggie gave voice to many on his own radio network including Robert Price and Brian Sapient  who went on to create Rational Responders. The famous atheists we all know of, and all the unknown atheists, and all the seemingly limitless atheist facebook pages and websites, owe Reggie a huge dept of gratitude. We are all standing on his shoulders.

https://www.facebook.com/theinfidelguy

For those with FB accounts, shoot on over and thank him for giving you a voice.

And also thank Brian Sapient both here and on twitter.

http://www.rationalresponders.com/do_yo ... rs_reunion

If one were to write a history book on atheists, these two are must include.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

stromboli

Mister Agenda

Atheists are not anti-Christian. They are anti-stupid.--WitchSabrina

Solitary

Yes, we owe him a dept. of gratitude!  The Infidel Guy really got the ball rolling. Thanks Reggie and others that helped!  :-D  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

aitm

Even though I think Austin Cline is a butt-head, he had some early work with About.. prior to that there were several chat and forum communities. "About" was one (they dropped the chat room several years ago) and Everywhere Chat was another. I finally got on the internet around 95 and those were the only two communities I could find at that time.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

_Xenu_

AOL chatroom- God is a Myth

Its where I really confirmed that I was an atheist.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

LikelyToBreak

My thanks to Reggie.  I would also like to thank the mods and staff here as well.  And thanks to Brian37 for starting this post.  

Damn, I sound like I won an Oscar or something.  #-o

Colanth

Quote from: "aitm"Even though I think Austin Cline is a butt-head, he had some early work with About.. prior to that there were several chat and forum communities. "About" was one (they dropped the chat room several years ago) and Everywhere Chat was another. I finally got on the internet around 95 and those were the only two communities I could find at that time.
Alt.atheism (on Usenet) was around at least as far back as 1994.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Brian37

Quote from: "LikelyToBreak"My thanks to Reggie.  I would also like to thank the mods and staff here as well.  And thanks to Brian37 for starting this post.  

Damn, I sound like I won an Oscar or something.  #-o

YOU LIKE ME YOU REALLY LIKE ME!
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

MrsSassyPants

Seriously   THANKS to the founding fathers of atheism.  Without them all I  would have is religion.  That sucks.
If you don't chew big red then FUCK YOU!

stromboli

Quote from: "Brian37"YOU LIKE ME YOU REALLY LIKE ME!

Don't push it, bucko.  [-X

Brian37

No no no, stromboli, I was poking fun of this,

QuoteLikelyToBreak wrote:
My thanks to Reggie. I would also like to thank the mods and staff here as well. And thanks to Brian37 for starting this post.

Damn, I sound like I won an Oscar or something.

As if they wanted to add "YOU LIKE ME YOU REALLY LIKE ME"

No one likes me, I am an ABBA fan.

frosty

There are actually many Atheist roots in the Internet. I'm not sure about the guy you posted about, I know he has been involved in running various networks for Atheists, but I would consider myself an "unknown Atheist" and the only gratitude I would say I owe the guy is making this website. It is impossible to represent all Atheists and there are other websites where Atheists go in droves.

Brian37

Quote from: "frosty"There are actually many Atheist roots in the Internet. I'm not sure about the guy you posted about, I know he has been involved in running various networks for Atheists, but I would consider myself an "unknown Atheist" and the only gratitude I would say I owe the guy is making this website. It is impossible to represent all Atheists and there are other websites where Atheists go in droves.

Not denying that.

But he stood out, morso than most back then. Of course people go to other websites now, there are more choices now then there were then.

stromboli

Reggie is black, as we all know. I'm not saying that he is a pioneer because of his color, but blacks at the outset were not quick to take up the gauntlet, so to speak. He was "out there" in a real way with podcasts and online critiques that meant he was often a target for theists in a big way. Give the man credit for guts, if nothing else.