Ayn Rand - Opinion? (preferably informed?)

Started by SkepticOfMyOwnMind, September 26, 2013, 12:41:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason Harvestdancer

Quote from: "Brian37"
Quote from: "SkepticOfMyOwnMind"
Quote from: "Jason_Harvestdancer"Still, there are a few critics who actually have read the source material.
Unfortunately, "few" seems to be the most important word in that statement. Most of the negative critics in this thread did not read her work (or were unwilling to provide evidence of such, which makes their criticisms irrelevant), and I doubt many of them even watched "Atlas Shrugged: Part I". The only person who showed significant understanding of her writings liked Ayn Rand's philosophy, and less informed, neutral people posted evidence that casts Ayn Rand's philosophy in a relatively positive light.

I think much more useful information can be gleaned from discussion in a historical context, but I have concluded that I will finish reading "The Virtue of Selfishness", then move on to "Objectivism: The Philosophy of Ayn Rand" and "Atlas Shrugged". I understand that the historical context in which Ayn Rand wrote would deprive her of certain facts (that mind-reading is literally possible via brain scans, nature and human interests are highly interconnected, adaptable, and flexible, and that the stronger U.S. government would help give rise to the Internet, among others). Even so, she caught on to some key ideas that have been scientifically and/or mathematically validated - morality is objective and independent of all religions, there is something fundamentally wrong with helping those who can't/won't (ever/often) help themselves or others, benefits and costs should be considered in relation to the specific people who benefit/pay rather than undefined or vaguely/ambiguously defined entities, etc.

Ideology and religion are the same monster, they conflict with diverse reality. Ayn Rand was simply a political hack out to sell books like Ann Coulter. Neither of them were interested in problem solving.

What are your beliefs?  What are your  beliefs about science?  Economics?  Politics?  Morality?

That is your ideology.

Think about it.  Even if your ideology is unique to you, it is your ideology and you have one.

Even if your ideology is nothing more complex than "what's in it for me?" (and I once debated a guy who had that exact ideology - and he was a life-long Democrat who hated libertarians) it is still your ideology.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Jason78

Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato