"Global warming is irreversible without massive

Started by josephpalazzo, September 25, 2013, 06:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

josephpalazzo

geoengineering of the atmosphere's chemistry. This stark warning comes from the draft summary of the latest climate assessment by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change."

The news is gloomy.

QuoteIn other words, even if all the world ran on carbon-free energy and deforestation ceased, the only way of lowering temperatures would be to devise a scheme for sucking hundreds of billions of tonnes of carbon dioxide out of the atmosphere.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn2 ... kMpt3_5CU0

PopeyesPappy

This may be the first time the IPCC has said this, but the reports they base their analysis on have been piling up for years.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

SGOS

I suspected as much.  We have added so much carbon dioxide to the atmosphere over the last  100 years that turning it around would be unlikely.  Global warming started happening before anyone ever heard of global warming, but the effects weren't noticeable, let alone even being conceived of.  It is gaining momentum, and in geologic terms, momentum can be a big fucking deal.  It's not like stopping your car in 100 yards.  Things don't happen that fast on a geological scale.  Even if we developed the political will today, I don't think we do anything but lessen it's impact slightly.

LikelyToBreak

So, what 1%er do I have to give my money to because of this report?

GrinningYMIR

Honestly if the human race were to be wiped out before I turned sixty I wouldn't be surprised
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: "GrinningYMIR"Honestly if the human race were to be wiped out before I turned sixty I wouldn't be surprised
If you didn't think that you would be the first generation in history not to.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Sal1981

"hundreds of billions of tonnes of carbon dioxide"

That's a lot of chalk (calcium carbonate) probably something in the order of 100kg of chalk per person.

Who knows, maybe governments are gonna subsidize the production of carbonate deposits? lol

Colanth

I can't tell from that report, whether they think we've reached the tipping point yet.  Either way, though, this is scary.

(I'm not worried about the species destroying itself before I turn 60 - 90 maybe.)
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

The Skeletal Atheist

Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

stromboli

It is way too late and it won't get fixed. There is a mountain of evidence being ignored right now, coal lobbyists are still pushing to build more power plants, and Frankenstorm wasn't enough to convince the pinhead climate deniers. Contemplate a future of dead oceans, burnt and dead forests and species die offs on a massive scale. It will happen.

Hijiri Byakuren

Best hope we figure out how to artificially separate the C from the O2 in mass quantities in the near future.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Colanth

Quote from: "Hijiri Byakuren"Best hope we figure out how to artificially separate the C from the O2 in mass quantities in the near future.
Convert MASSIVE amounts of farmland to forests.  Which is one of the things that got us to where we are.

Will anything at all ever be done?  Other than snake oil like carbon trading, not a thing.  Human beings are too stupid and too greedy to keep from killing the planet.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

LikelyToBreak

In short, I agree with Stromboli and Colanth on this.  Glad I don't have any grandchildren.

Solitary

Quote from: "GrinningYMIR"Honestly if the human race were to be wiped out before I turned sixty I wouldn't be surprised

"One can never have enough dice, or thermal clips."

Isn't that the truth! I'm getting a sex change and take Liara to another galaxy in deep space and live there with all the Asari. Goddess: "To hell with the human race!" :shock:   8-)  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

frosty

Global warming is a huge issue but environmental degradation is another. Sure you can talk about rising temperatures, but you can also talk about forest fires, mass deforestation, harmful toxic chemicals affecting crops, the bees dying out, bodies of water being over polluted, etc etc.