News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Skyline 3-Way

Started by the_antithesis, September 12, 2013, 01:44:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary

Well now that my stomach is rumbling and my mouth is watering while I'm on a diet I hope you are all happy with my favorite way to have pasta. Got to go shopping now.  [-X   :lol:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Mister Agenda

Chilghetti with extra cheese.
Atheists are not anti-Christian. They are anti-stupid.--WitchSabrina

SGOS

Quote from: "Hydra009"
Quote from: "SGOS"I like my spaghetti sauce on the chunky side with lots of stuff added to the ragu:  Basil, oregano, coarsely chopped onions, green peppers, fresh mushrooms, tomatoes, lots of green olives (some halved, some whole), and mixed with browned Italian sausage.
This.  A thousand times this.  With all the other ingredients, it only requires a small amount of meat, just enough to flavor the dish.  I usually don't even use shredded cheese, just a light dusting of grated parmesan on top.

But most of my family HATES it this way and prefer just the pasta, meat, and cheese in roughly equal proportion, like in the OP.  Bland and unnutritious.  I suspect that I'm adopted.
I made it for some friends I was visiting for a few days.  I had to make a special batch for the kids.  Nothing chunky in the sauce, just plain ragu, and they were happy.  Otherwise the kids would end up picking out anything that was lumpy.   :-D

AllPurposeAtheist

Being from Dayton, about 45 miles north of Cincinnati I can speak with authority.. It sucks.

Thank you for the use of your eyes reading my critique of Cincinnati food. White Castle is also a Cincinnati product, instant diahrea.. :roll:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Colanth

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"White Castle is also a Cincinnati product
Belly bombs.  Thank you, Cincinnati. :drinkers:
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

SGOS

Quote from: "Colanth"
My sister in Chicago says they call them "sliders".  I think it has something to do with the grease, but she's not sure about that.

AllPurposeAtheist

I went to Reds games almost 50 years ago when Proctor and Gamble, another monster had the entire town smelling like laundry soap. Maybe that explains that devolved apetite..

Colanth

Quote from: "SGOS"
My sister in Chicago says they call them "sliders".  I think it has something to do with the grease, but she's not sure about that.
When you get older (like 15) you start calling them sliders. :)  I don't know about the grease, but the meat is probably about 30% lean.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "SGOS"When I was crossing the ocean on my boat, I had a large larder of canned goods, and usually I concocted some good things to eat.  I wanted spaghetti, but something with meat, not just watery ragu sauce, so I thought maybe if brought a few cans of chili without beans, I could mix it with ragu (At sea, I turned off my refrigerator/freezer because it's a major electrical train on the batteries, so I had to use canned goods).  The idea turned out to be a major flop.  It didn't taste at all like spaghetti.  But worse, the sauce simply did not compliment the pasta.  I have to admit, the idea seemed like a long shot, but I thought I'd give it a try.

I like my spaghetti sauce on the chunky side with lots of stuff added to the ragu:  Basil, oregano, coarsely chopped onions, green peppers, fresh mushrooms, tomatoes, lots of green olives (some halved, some whole), and mixed with browned Italian sausage.  When I'm chopping up the veggies, I force myself to chop it into big chunks.  I use a crock pot and let the stuff simmer for a few hours.  I think the olives add a nice flavor.  I dump a whole jar of green olives along with the packing liquid into the pot.

I like chili, but not on pasta.  It just doesn't work for me.

Sorry to rain on your parade,  :-D , but a good pasta dish largely depends on how you cook your tomatoes, and I mean fresh tomatoes, not the canned ones. And covering it up with loads of spices and herbs ain't going to fool an old Italian like myself.  :P

Plu

Can you share the trick of turning fresh tomatoes into sauce? I've not really figured it out yet, so I usually fall back on premade sauced tomatoes.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: "SGOS"My sister in Chicago says they call them "sliders".  I think it has something to do with the grease, but she's not sure about that....

When you get older (like 15) you start calling them sliders. :)  I don't know about the grease, but the meat is probably about 30% lean.
I seriously doubt a white castle burger has ever uttered the phrase, 'Moo'. I further doubt it's the grease. It's just something shitty about Cincinnati.. REPUBLICANS! That's the ticket! They keep electing John Boehner.  :x

Mermaid

Quote from: "Plu"Can you share the trick of turning fresh tomatoes into sauce? I've not really figured it out yet, so I usually fall back on premade sauced tomatoes.
I just started doing this. It's a lot easier than I thought.
Dice onions, garlic and green peppers and cook in generous amount of olive oil until sweated. Add cored and halved tomatoes. Cook down tomatoes, blend with a stick blender, which will remove most of the tomato skins. Add fresh basil, oregano, salt and sugar to taste. Reduce for whatever time you feel like reducing. An hour or so works best for me, longer tastes richer, shorter tastes fresher.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Mermaid

Oh. Sorry. You didn't ask me.  :oops:
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

AllPurposeAtheist

The Skyline Chili thread is turning into the spaghetti sauce recipe thread! :shock:
I'm far more interested in Mermaid's recipe for cherry jello. :-D

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "Plu"Can you share the trick of turning fresh tomatoes into sauce? I've not really figured it out yet, so I usually fall back on premade sauced tomatoes.

Don't listen to mermaid.  :-D

Put a small quantity of oil, preferably olive oil, in a pot. First fry some onions, then add garlic. Make sure none of it  turns black. Stir frequently. Cut tomatoes, either sliced or cubed. Then add that to pot. The real trick is to observe what's happening in the pot -- you are eliminating moisture. MOST IMPORTANT POINT: Your tomatoes are fully cooked when that moisture has been mostly eliminated - it should look like a thick paste. You can then add your favorite spices. Also, you can add taste to your sauce by adding a piece of boned meat -- my favorite is pork ribs, meatballs are ok. Let it simmer for about fifteen minutes. And voilà.