Australian PM Kevin Rudd puts a Pastor in his place

Started by Fidel_Castronaut, September 05, 2013, 09:37:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fidel_Castronaut

lol, marquee. HTML ROOLZ!

Solitary

Thanks Fidel! I love it when Christians disagree on their interpretations of the Bible showing how they can use it to support their personal agendas for good or bad.  :roll:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Jason78

That was frigging awesome.

A politician that actually sat down, thought about an issue and then reached a well reasoned conclusion with an argument to back it up.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Hijiri Byakuren

Regardless of Prime Minister Rudd's thought process, I thought this was quite the epic smackdown.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Hydra009

Quote from: "Jason78"A politician that actually sat down, thought about an issue and then reached a well reasoned conclusion with an argument to back it up.
I've heard legends about stuff like this.  Never thought I'd see it in my generation.

SGOS

Quote from: "Hydra009"
Quote from: "Jason78"A politician that actually sat down, thought about an issue and then reached a well reasoned conclusion with an argument to back it up.
I've heard legends about stuff like this.  Never thought I'd see it in my generation.
He was very articulate about his position, much more so than your average politician.  I would have liked to have heard the, "Yeah, but...," response from the pastor, but he may have said all he could without making himself look foolish.  The audience didn't seem inclined to agree with anything he said.

I had a discussion with a religious friend about this one time.  He told me that since I didn't believe in God, homosexuality was OK with me, but since he believed in God, it was a sin.  But I'm actually describing him as more reasoned than he was.  He's emotionally caught up in his personal prejudice, and believes that science supports his notion of homosexuality being an unforgivable perversion.

If I were religious, I would be shopping around for a sect that didn't harbor such a vile intolerance of human differences.  He even admitted that other members of his church thought he was too caught up in his condemnation of homosexuality, although his church did preach the bullshit about "love the sinner, but hate the sin."  What a load of bullshit to make bigotry seem like some sort of compassion.

Poison Tree

"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

Sal1981

ApostateLois

It is always so amusing when they say "I believe what the Bible says." But they continue to eat shrimp, lobster, shark, catfish, and other sea creatures that lack either fins or scales or both; they wear clothing made from different fibers combined; they don't accept that it is okay to buy slaves from surrounding nations; they don't make animal sacrifices to appease God, although these laws were said to be eternal; they don't keep the Sabbath, but substitute Sunday instead; and they very rarely sell all of their possessions to follow Jesus. So, no, they DON'T believe their Bible, just the parts that they like the best. Everyone knows this. THEY know this. Yet they keep trying to fool us into believing otherwise.
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"

Colanth

Because, supposedly, Jesus made a new covenant with God, so all those old rules no longer apply (or only apply to Jews).  Except, of course, that homosexuality is an abomination.  And the selling everything was just a figure of speech.

You'd think with all the effort they put into rationalizing their beliefs, they could come up with better beliefs.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Shiranu

Quote from: "Poison Tree"Looked like that pastor was going to cry

I don't know about that, but that tilted-up head stare he was giving was creeping me the fuck out.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

kilodelta

Quote from: "Shiranu"
Quote from: "Poison Tree"Looked like that pastor was going to cry

I don't know about that, but that tilted-up head stare he was giving was creeping me the fuck out.

Which one is worse?

[spoil:1zxxhu0s]

[/spoil:1zxxhu0s]
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

ApostateLois

"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"