News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Why do trans people feel the way they do?

Started by ParaGoomba Slayer, September 09, 2013, 11:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mermaid

Quote from: "aitm"It is estimated that 1.5% of the world are "trans-gendered". As this physical androgyny occurs in various degrees from male dominated to female dominated it would seem likely that they would experience associative psychological androgyny in degrees of male v female. While I can't testify to their thoughts, it would see, after several drinks that one could easily understand the difficulties of the persona's one would bounce back and forth with. I feel for them.
Me too. For some reason we as a species feel the need to define gender in black and white, cut-and-dried terms, when in reality, that isn't how it works. We all fall somewhere on a spectrum. There are obvious physical differences but even that is equivocal for some. I don't understand why people should pressure others to conform to "normal" standards, but that is just how we are and it goes far beyond gender.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

frosty

Quote from: "Mermaid"
Quote from: "aitm"It is estimated that 1.5% of the world are "trans-gendered". As this physical androgyny occurs in various degrees from male dominated to female dominated it would seem likely that they would experience associative psychological androgyny in degrees of male v female. While I can't testify to their thoughts, it would see, after several drinks that one could easily understand the difficulties of the persona's one would bounce back and forth with. I feel for them.
Me too. For some reason we as a species feel the need to define gender in black and white, cut-and-dried terms, when in reality, that isn't how it works. We all fall somewhere on a spectrum. There are obvious physical differences but even that is equivocal for some. I don't understand why people should pressure others to conform to "normal" standards, but that is just how we are and it goes far beyond gender.

But I would imagine that is part of the problem. We are accustomed to seeing things in black and white, this vs that, traditional roles, and transgender people are not exception to that perceptual rule. Part of their stress in gender terms, I would assume, is that they are torn between wanting to be how they feel they should be, versus being how society expects and projects them to be. That issue affects people across the spectrum so it would obviously affect trans people too.