News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Suffering and Life of Pi

Started by GSOgymrat, September 17, 2013, 02:05:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GSOgymrat

I finished reading Life of Pi a couple of days ago. For those who haven't read it, it is a metaphorical story of faith and how life is better with God than without, even if believing doesn't completely make rational sense. Most of the book involves a boy who endures incredible suffering. After reading the book it struck me that many theists are really into suffering and have a fascination with misery that I don't seem to fully appreciate. This suffering, deprivation and testing of one's faith is obvious in Christianity but also seems to be present in a lot of other religions. I think one reason this concept has never resonated in me is because I have never thought of life as a test. I look on trials and tribulations as a test of my character and perseverance but I don't view life itself as an obstacle course where the goal is to hold onto belief even though you are being tortured. I don't really see nobility in suffering for the sake of suffering, although I suppose theist suffer for the glory of God and the reward of his grace. Thoughts?

aitm

I think, the suffering and deprivation is not so much accepted as a matter of "faith" but the reality that they will endure suffering and deprivation whether or not god exists so might as well hope he/she/it does. Its a backward twist on Pascal's Wager.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

stromboli

Suffering for a good cause is noble. Suffering for religion is stupid.

Solitary

I'm convinced that the more religious a person is the more sado-masochistic they are. How else could they get so much pleasure out of watching a movie of Christ being tortured and crucified on a cross. To have a religious icon of a man on a cross says a lot.  :roll:   :-&  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: "Solitary"I'm convinced that the more religious a person is the more sado-masochistic they are. How else could they get so much pleasure out of watching a movie of Christ being tortured and crucified on a cross. To have a religious icon of a man on a cross says a lot.  :roll:   :-&  Solitary

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this is weird. I don't understand the concept of God dying for our sins. It makes no sense.. and it's totally disgusting.

ApostateLois

The question is often asked, that if Jesus had been electrocuted to death, would Christians be wearing little gold electric chair pendants on necklaces, and have electric-chair emblems and icons on the walls of their churches? How about if he had been hanged with a noose, or shot in the head, or tied to the railroad tracks? Christians never have an answer for this, they just laugh off the idea as ridiculous. But they don't see that it is equally ridiculous to display the image of a tortured man on a cross as if it is somehow beautiful and admirable. They do, indeed, have an unhealthy obsession with suffering, pain, and torture. I don't see anything noble about misery. I see nothing beautiful about sickness and disease. I don't feel good when I am going through difficulties, I just feel depressed and lonely and can't wait for it to stop. People who glorify pain and suffering are mentally ill.
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"

Youssuf Ramadan

Quote from: "Solitary"I'm convinced that the more religious a person is the more sado-masochistic they are. How else could they get so much pleasure out of watching a movie of Christ being tortured and crucified on a cross. To have a religious icon of a man on a cross says a lot.  :roll:   :-&  Solitary

Yep, many of them do indeed seem to get some sort of arousal from suffering. Suffering is good because Jesus suffered.  Fucking marvellous....  :rolleyes: