Cool video about the Cicada life cycle

Started by Smartmarzipan, October 29, 2013, 09:15:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smartmarzipan

I thought this was really neat. And I feel a little emotionally attached to the little buggers now, as well...

http://www.wimp.com/returncicadas/
Legi, Intellexi, Condemnavi.

"Religion is the human response to being alive and having to die." ~Anon

Inter arma enim silent leges

Icarus

I'd like to know what about their metabolism causes them to remain dormant for 17 years; or if the time clock is an evolutionary development that prevents them from destroying their natural environment. Those trees must die pretty quickly after giving nutrients to thousands of cicadas.

Hydra009

I wouldn't mind them, but the noise is incredible.  It's like trying to sleep next to an active woodchipper.

Shiranu

Jesus christ, that video was creepy. Replace the music with some dramatic shit and you got the making of a horror film.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Quote from: "Shiranu"Jesus christ, that video was creepy. Replace the music with some dramatic shit and you got the making of a horror film.
They're not creepy, they're kinda cute.

See?  It's a party.  YOLO

Smartmarzipan

Quote from: "Hydra009"
Quote from: "Shiranu"Jesus christ, that video was creepy. Replace the music with some dramatic shit and you got the making of a horror film.
They're not creepy, they're kinda cute.

[ Image ]

See?  It's a party.  YOLO

I always enjoyed picking cicada husks off of trees when I was a kid....they were like little aliens. :)
Legi, Intellexi, Condemnavi.

"Religion is the human response to being alive and having to die." ~Anon

Inter arma enim silent leges

Plu

That's pretty awesome :D I'd like to see those guys emerge someday.