Have you ever lost faith in your humanity if only briefly?

Started by GrinningYMIR, September 04, 2013, 10:12:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smartmarzipan

Oh, hell yes. Multiple times. People can be real dickbags, and in large numbers, to boot.

Man, I saw a guy get his throat slit in a bar over some silly drunken scuffle. Blood everywhere on a dirty floor over a couple of rude words.

Surfing the darker parts of the internet is enough for me to want to go live a solitary life on Mars.

Working customer service jobs will make you want to nuke the planet.

Humanity can really suck balls, sometimes.

But not all the time. But sometimes you just want a new plague.
Legi, Intellexi, Condemnavi.

"Religion is the human response to being alive and having to die." ~Anon

Inter arma enim silent leges

PJS

Virtually everyone gets disappointed or even disillusioned at times with our fellow humans. However, I try very hard to overcome the built in well established self-serving bias in our evaluations of others. We see the speck in the eyes of the other yet not the log in our own, as the passage reads.

As someone mentioned gratitude helps and every day my first action is to record a sentence or two in a gratitude journal. Our interdependence on our fellow man runs so deep that many of the entries connect to people from all eras and arenas of my life history, many people who assisted me in countless ways.  In some ways we all suck but keep it in the first person plural and curve the test scores . Just realize we all tend to have our own self-serving biases-ample data on that.
The path of least resistance and least trouble is a mental rut already made. It requires troublesome work to undertake the alternation of old beliefs.
-John Dewey

GrinningYMIR

You have all had very thought out answers, and I appreciate that. People give you all kinds of reasons to hate them, but they also give you reasons to love them.

Thank you for responding, all of you.
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

PickelledEggs

A list of some things that have made me lose a bit of faith/respect for human kind:

-The use of to instead of too and other total grammar retardation
-hipsters
-TMZ (a show I have seen passing through channels)
-laugh tracks on sitcoms
-brand loyalty
-facebook
-politics
-the pop culture industry

and everyone being a "winner"

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: "PickelledEggs"A list of some things that have made me lose a bit of faith/respect for human kind:

-hipsters
-laugh tracks on sitcoms
-brand loyalty
-facebook
-politics

If that's all it takes, never visit one of Alex Jones' websites.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

PickelledEggs

Quote from: "Hijiri Byakuren"
Quote from: "PickelledEggs"A list of some things that have made me lose a bit of faith/respect for human kind:

-hipsters
-laugh tracks on sitcoms
-brand loyalty
-facebook
-politics

If that's all it takes, never visit one of Alex Jones' websites.
I had to Google him to remember who he was...  :lol:

Yeah. I would put Alex Jones on my list as well... along with other people that blow things out of proportion like that.

PickelledEggs

I'm pretty vocal about things that frustrate me. I find tolerating things is sort of a lack of respect in some ways.

Solomon Zorn

I guess I'm lucky. I have always seen the shitty died of human behavior, but never become a shit myself. I learned early on how to bounce back from an insult. I've been picked on by people and used by people and now I pick out the best of the best to associate with, and so I have some very good friends (mostly theists). People I love and trust, and who have never betrayed me.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

dgirl1986

Every time i hear or read about something horrible happening I would lose my faith in humanity for a bit. It is why I do not read the news anymore. It was depressing me too much.