Have you ever lost faith in your humanity if only briefly?

Started by GrinningYMIR, September 04, 2013, 10:12:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LikelyToBreak

I'm a cynical misanthropist.  But, I can't remember any particular act by humans which made me so.  Maybe it is a cumulative effect, which is why so many old people are cynical.  :-k

the_antithesis

Quote from: "LikelyToBreak"I'm a cynical misanthropist.  But, I can't remember any particular act by humans which made me so.  Maybe it is a cumulative effect, which is why so many old people are cynical.  :-k

Yeah. It's like how when a couple first gets together, he finds it endearing that she refuses to replace the toilet paper roll and just puts a roll on top of the tank. But after a few years, he's worn down and they have fights like it's world war three over fucking toilet paper.

GSOgymrat

The world doesn't really change that much, and as a whole the quality of human life is much better than it has been in the past, so if I "lose faith in humanity" or have a negative, pessimistic outlook I take it as a red flag that there is something going on with me that I need to address. I can't change the world but I can change my own mood, attitude and behavior.

SGOS

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"Isn't faith that magical word for believing in things there is no evidence that they exist? Humanity is what it is for better or worse. The word humanity doesn't imply neither good nor bad, just that humans exist and I don't need faith to know humans exist.
Yeah, faith in humanity be it optimistic or pessimistic is irrelevant.  For every example of man's goodness, you can point to something repugnant.  I suppose you could make some kind of score card out of that, but it would be pretty subjective.  There isn't much to support either kind of faith.

Triple Nine

Yes, many times, but I always get back mainly due to the fact that smart people do exist and at least some of us are improving. I have a very high bar for friendship, if someone is not on my intellectual level AND shares similar interests AND a similar standard of only letting certain people in their circle I will not be friends with them. I just made a friend here at Howard, but only because she surpassed my high barrier.
Playing: Skullgirls
On hold: Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS)
Pokemon X & Y (3DS)
Whenever I get my GODDAMNED 3DS back  \":evil:\"
Religion, Nationalism, and Racism is all under the evil wing of Conservatism and preservation of useless traditions!

ApostateLois

Once in awhile, I'll read a story about wonderful people doing wonderful things, and I'll think, "Maybe there IS hope for the human race, after all, and we won't just keep evolving into increasingly mean and selfish pricks." I mean, wars have decreased, crime has decreased, health care and sanitation are better, people are living longer because of better pre- and post-natal care.... but people in general are still a bunch of assholes. I have NEVER liked being around people. Even as a child, I preferred being alone, and I liked animals better than humans. I always thought there was something wrong with me. Everyone else seemed so outgoing and they liked people and had loads of friends. I was an introvert and one of the reasons I hated school is because it required me to be around people that I didn't like and who didn't like me.

As an adult, I insist on working in the kitchen of my work place because I am so utterly fed up with humans with their stupid demands and whining complaints, that I can't bear the idea of working at the cash registers or in the deli. Occasionally, I'll help out in the deli if they're really busy, but after 10 minutes I am stressing out. I worked in customer service at different places and I'm SICK of it. I can't stand people. I have very few friends, and I trust them with my life; other than that, people in general can suck the dick I don't have.
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"

AllPurposeAtheist

I've had fantasies of being the last man alive, but it always smells bad from all the rotting corpses. People are people and they vary greatly. Some skinny, some fat, some tall, some short,...the list goes on and on.
To just toss everyone into the same pot isn't exactly inviting cooperation from others so I deal with humanity on a case by case basis. I enjoy the good ones and avoid the rotten ones just like food..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Colanth

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"I've had fantasies of being the last man alive, but it always smells bad from all the rotting corpses.
"The last man on Earth sat on a chair.  There was a knock on the door. ..."  Fredrick Brown, I think.  Pretty good story too.  (Your line reminded me of it.)
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Hydra009

Quote from: "ApostateLois"As an adult, I insist on working in the kitchen of my work place because I am so utterly fed up with humans with their stupid demands and whining complaints, that I can't bear the idea of working at the cash registers or in the deli. Occasionally, I'll help out in the deli if they're really busy, but after 10 minutes I am stressing out. I worked in customer service at different places and I'm SICK of it. I can't stand people. I have very few friends, and I trust them with my life; other than that, people in general can suck the dick I don't have.
Did cashier for a long time.

[spoil:3f2i0i9w][/spoil:3f2i0i9w]

Customer service is hell.

frosty

I have lost faith in humans due to their behavior many many times in the past. I could literally write 50 pages of posts explaining my experiences and why I have been disapointed by people in a plethora of disgusting ways. It's part of a continual uphill battle, but at this point of my life I've learned to not let what humans do bother me because there's nothing I can do to change stubborn people that refuse to change or grow up in any way. That being said, based on the replies here I think if we all physically interacted with each other, we would get along based on our perceptions of things. Most here seem to have a misanthropic tinge to them based on past negative experiences. That will be like our unifying social trait!

But some replies here are talking about how they think are an exception, people are not on their level, etc. when the same people they think are not on their level are almost guaranteed to think the same about them. Yes I know, you don't care, and I get that. But I think a good way of dealing with people is finding out how they think (even if you don't give a fuck) and finding a solution based on their behaviors, their opinions, etc. It's called playing the game, and it happens everyday, people are trying to deceive one another for their own benefit and from what I've seen it often works, with devastating consequences.

A spiteful social chain runs through all of us, metaphorically speaking. I cannot speak for all of you but another feel I get from these replies is that you all feel you've been wronged in some way shape or form, and you are changed as a result of the experience. Some perhaps may be spiteful or hold in negativity at their past experiences. This multiplies throughout the population, and as a result you get most people.... hating most people. I have observed this my entire life.

There is a strong urge for me right now to let loose and in the process probably break my keyboard while typing so much about this topic. But I think anger and spite is counter productive. I've realized how most people seem to be, I can't change it, all I can do is live my own life.

Cyanne

I have these random moments where I suddenly notice how stupid/pathetic/cruel/selfish/cowardly etc a lot of people are and for a couple minutes I think about it and it blows my mind. Most of the time I am just going through life knowing that these people are all around me but I am desensitized to it. There is no shocking event that makes me "lose faith" , only those times when I suddenly notice again how ugly humankind can get.

It's like when I'm watching a movie and I'm really sucked into what's happening on screen and then suddenly I jolt back into reality and realize that I'm sitting on my couch at home.

Actually, watching Abc's What Would You Do can make me feel really depressed and disappointed in people sometimes.

ApostateLois

QuoteCustomer service is hell.

In the last picture, he should be in a strait jacket.  :rolleyes:

QuoteBut some replies here are talking about how they think are an exception, people are not on their level, etc. when the same people they think are not on their level are almost guaranteed to think the same about them.

I've met very few people who like customer service. VERY few, like maybe two or three. When you have to deal with grumpy, angry, demanding, selfish customers day after day, it kinda sours your outlook on humans in general. As the days go by, it becomes harder and harder to remember that most people are okay, they just want to buy their shit and get out of the store, it's just the few assholes who make the job unbearable. Since I never liked being around people to begin with, I never found such jobs enjoyable in the least. It's not that I think people are beneath my level, I just don't like being around them. I don't even like shopping in a crowded store, or going to social events very often.
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"

Tabula Rasa

Quote from: "GSOgymrat"The world doesn't really change that much, and as a whole the quality of human life is much better than it has been in the past, so if I "lose faith in humanity" or have a negative, pessimistic outlook I take it as a red flag that there is something going on with me that I need to address. I can't change the world but I can change my own mood, attitude and behavior.

Thanks for mentioning this. There are times when I observe people and see "Idiocracy" the movie becoming a reality. I do wish more people were perceptive and not so mentally lazy. That is what frustrates me about humanity. I do, however, have control over my reactions.

Eric1958

I don't know how to explain my attitude about this. On one hand I've started most years thinking I may well not make it through the year without killing myself. On the other hand I am often grateful for so many of the people I've met and worked with over the years. No matter what job I've had or school I've gone to, I've been welcomed and helped by many. For the sake of accuracy, I have to exclude high school and before.

MrsSassyPants

It really is disturbing the way humans treat each other.  People dont like to see success. Love to create suffering.
If you don't chew big red then FUCK YOU!