Main Menu

Want To Be A Cult Leader?

Started by Solitary, September 02, 2013, 12:34:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary

This also sounds like military training to me: :shock:  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfb5FYd83Ao#t=260

Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

mykcob4

Quote from: "Solitary"This also sounds like military training to me: :shock:  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfb5FYd83Ao#t=260

Solitary
I didn't see anything like military training t in the video.
What most people don't understand about military training is that the people that don't know believe that every military person is trained to be a robot with blind obedience.
The psych training in the USMC is best on creating an INDIVIDUAL that can and will obey LAWFUL orders but is self reliant and confident. That is why the USMC advertizes that it creates LEADERS. It isn't just talking about generals or officers. It's talking about each and every individual Marine.

stromboli

If you want a model, just read up on Joseph Smith and attend some LDS church meetings. All you need to do is provide some type of enlightenment to start out, start shaming people as sinful, get some convincing people behind you and build from there.

Joseph Smith was a huckster born into a family of hucksters. His mother related how as a young man, he would spin tall tales on a whim. He was involved in more than a few scams before he figured out religion. The area and the people were well involved in all manner of mystical BS; it was simply his being a charismatic charmer and knowing how to swindle people that did it. That, and having some talented smart people behind him who were on the same page, and taking advantage of the opportunity he provided.

Solitary

QuoteThere are none so blind as those who refuse to see.

That's exactly what basic training is like, and you sound just like the people who are in a cult responding to criticism of the cult. The very first thing the military does is cut your hair and dress you in a uniform to tear you down as an individual to build you up again as a member of the group just like the cults do.  They also teach you to be willing to die and kill for the cause. Every Marine and cult member thinks they are a better person after their indoctrination in the esprit de corps with a sense of unity and common interests and responsibilities of the group. Semper Fi!  Solitary

stromboli

I've known a few ex-Marines, numbering some good friends among them, and they were no robots. I was in a submarine for four years. You better have some individual thinking and decision making skills if you happen to be the guy on scene when the shit hits the fan.

Don't know what military you are talking about, but the US military was/is noted for having soldiers who knew how to take over when they were stuck in a bad spot. Get on a Medal of Honor website and see how the men who earned it took over under extreme duress. My son was awarded the Bronze Star for pulling some Marines out of a bad spot by using initiative.

You are confusing organized training with mentally breaking down people to respond as robots. Not the same. I doubt that most of the vets here would agree with you.

Solitary

I'm sure there are cult members who also say they are not robots and have individual thinking and decision making skills. I have known more than one Marine and Army soldiers that would agree with me. It has been shown by the military that most men can't even aim and shoot at a human target much less a real person until they are taught to do it, and they do a very good job of teaching them.

Are you honestly telling me that in basic training you are not broken down and trained to follow orders blindly like a robot? I never saw a drill sergeant or NCO that would allow you not to follow his orders like a robot. I'm not trying to diminish the heroism and self sacrifice of the military, just showing it is the same process cults use to make people have self sacrifice to the group, which your son has shown to be true.

If people think that is good thing fine, but I don't think it is a good thing to be driven to go against ones basic nature as an individual. Every time I have marched in step in a uniform I felt like a robot. I will not glorify the military anymore than I will a cult or religion. Solitary