Kucinich: Attacking Syria is Act of War

Started by Smartmarzipan, August 29, 2013, 01:52:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smartmarzipan

Dennis Kucinich accuses Obama of 'rushing' towards World War 3
http://21stcenturywire.com/2013/08/29/k ... rld-war-3/

QuoteA 'targeted strike' on Syria by the US would be nothing but an act of war, former Congressman Dennis Kucinich said, adding that an airstrike on President Assad's anti-radical Islamist forces would mean the US Air Force was supporting Al-Qaeda.

Kucinich, a prominent anti-war politician who has consistently opposed America's military involvement in Iraq and Libya, warned that President Barack Obama would be violating the US Constitution if he took military action against Syria without authorization from Congress.

An airstrike on Syria would also embolden multinational jihadists with links to Al-Qaeda, warned Kucinich, a four-time Congressman who was a longshot contender for the Democratic presidential nomination in 2004 and 2008. For the US, that would mean being dragged into yet another war in the Middle East, he said.

Quote"So what, we're about to become Al-Qaeda's air force now?" said Kucinich. "This is a very, very serious matter that has broad implications internationally. And to try to minimize it by saying we're just going to have a 'targeted strike' — that's an act of war. It's not something to be trifled with."

Kucinich, who stood down in January after losing the Democratic nomination for his seat in the House of Representatives, said he doubted the allegations that President Assad had used chemical weapons against his own people.

"This is being used as a pretext," he said. "The verdict is in before the facts have been gathered. What does that tell you?" said Kucinich, adding that the Obama administration was "rushing" toward a possible"World War 3."

I was really rooting for him to win the Democratic Presidential Nomination all those years ago. *sigh*
Legi, Intellexi, Condemnavi.

"Religion is the human response to being alive and having to die." ~Anon

Inter arma enim silent leges

Mister Agenda

Our government has reached the point where they consider dropping a few bombs a friendly warning.
Atheists are not anti-Christian. They are anti-stupid.--WitchSabrina

Jason78

If America learned anything from the problems they've had, they'll let the UN do their job.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Shiranu

I don't think this is even remotely close to WW3, but otherwise I agree with him on it that it is both illegal and stupid.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Smartmarzipan

Quote from: "Shiranu"I don't think this is even remotely close to WW3, but otherwise I agree with him on it that it is both illegal and stupid.

Yeah, I thought that was a bit of hyperbole, but he's right when he says this is nothing to trifle with. How many Middle Eastern countries are we going to piss off now?

billhilly

Quote from: "Smartmarzipan"Dennis Kucinich accuses Obama of 'rushing' towards World War 3
http://21stcenturywire.com/2013/08/29/k ... rld-war-3/

QuoteA 'targeted strike' on Syria by the US would be nothing but an act of war, former Congressman Dennis Kucinich said, adding that an airstrike on President Assad's anti-radical Islamist forces would mean the US Air Force was supporting Al-Qaeda.

Kucinich, a prominent anti-war politician who has consistently opposed America's military involvement in Iraq and Libya, warned that President Barack Obama would be violating the US Constitution if he took military action against Syria without authorization from Congress.

An airstrike on Syria would also embolden multinational jihadists with links to Al-Qaeda, warned Kucinich, a four-time Congressman who was a longshot contender for the Democratic presidential nomination in 2004 and 2008. For the US, that would mean being dragged into yet another war in the Middle East, he said.

Quote"So what, we're about to become Al-Qaeda's air force now?" said Kucinich. "This is a very, very serious matter that has broad implications internationally. And to try to minimize it by saying we're just going to have a 'targeted strike' — that's an act of war. It's not something to be trifled with."

Kucinich, who stood down in January after losing the Democratic nomination for his seat in the House of Representatives, said he doubted the allegations that President Assad had used chemical weapons against his own people.

"This is being used as a pretext," he said. "The verdict is in before the facts have been gathered. What does that tell you?" said Kucinich, adding that the Obama administration was "rushing" toward a possible"World War 3."

I was really rooting for him to win the Democratic Presidential Nomination all those years ago. *sigh*

The "mainstream" made him out to be a kook back in the day like the left's version of Ron Paul.  They "otherize" folks that don't tow the line whether they're on the left or right.  It seems you can't be taken seriously if you publically admit that you think the US should stop bombing people and take care of its own business.  That's just crazy talk.

The Whit

WW1 was started by an assassination.  WW3 might very well be started by a "targeted strike".
"Death can not be killed." -brq

Smartmarzipan

Quote from: "The Whit"WW1 was started by an assassination.  WW3 might very well be started by a "targeted strike".

It is possible. I think it would take a serious of terrible events to culminate into something like that, but if history has shown us anything, a small act could lead to a big war.

The Whit

Especially considering who is at the helm of Russia and Iran on top of the ignoramuses in our government.
"Death can not be killed." -brq

hillbillyatheist

I initially laughed off the idea of WWIII. see my other post in the other thread on this.

the more I think about it the less crazy it sounds.

we hit Syria. Syria and/or Iran take revenge by hitting israel, who then responds with great force. which in turn causes Iran and Syria to respond in kind. Plus they ask for Russia and China their allies to help. Israel asks for our help.

nobody plans for WWIII it just happens from a chain reaction.

Russia is already sending their own navy down there.

Obama is playing with fire.
like my posts and thoughts? then check out my new blog. you can subscribe via email too, so that when its updated, you\'ll get an email, letting you know.

just click here

hillbillyatheist

how Ironic it will be if Mr. Nobel Peace Prize winner is the spark that causes the worst war the earth has ever known. one we might not make it out of alive.
like my posts and thoughts? then check out my new blog. you can subscribe via email too, so that when its updated, you\'ll get an email, letting you know.

just click here

GrinningYMIR

Obama will not call it a war, just like Afghanistan and Iraq weren't wars. They were called police actions or operations. If we invaded Syria it would be yet another undeclared war. And since it's not technically a war, Congressional approval is not required. The President as Commander-in-chief retains the right to launch small scale campaigns without the need of congressional approval, and this power has been continuously increased behind the scenes for years if not decades.

If we invade Syria and another major power gets involved, like Iran or China or Russia, it will be a war, albeit not officially, not when it begins anyway.

Let's just hope we stay out of it, otherwise....the implications are not good.
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Triple Nine

Corporate wars do not care about lives or even civilization. As long they are the ones ruling the new Dark Era they could care less. Doesn't matter how low we are, as long as they are just one notch above the rest of us it doesn't matter.
Playing: Skullgirls
On hold: Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS)
Pokemon X & Y (3DS)
Whenever I get my GODDAMNED 3DS back  \":evil:\"
Religion, Nationalism, and Racism is all under the evil wing of Conservatism and preservation of useless traditions!

hillbillyatheist

the house of commons in britain just blocked their being in this war.

and Obama? he's ready to go it alone, despite the UN and no allies.

because of our national security. WHAT? how are we threatened?

Obama is doing exactly what he condemned bush for. he is turning into Bushes Mini-me.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/2 ... 38922.html

just click here

LikelyToBreak

This could very well lead to WWIII.  Nixon took us off the gold standard and then coerced oil exporting countries to only use US dollars for trade.  With the inflation the Fed uses for their own purposes the oil exporting countries are getting tired of dealing in dollars.  Iraq was going to go to Euros, but then something happened.  Then Libya was making noises about going to the Euro in selling oil, then something happened.  Something might happen to Syria or Iran as well.  To make sure the inflated Federal Reserve Notes are still being used.  

Syria is allied with Iran who is allied with Russia.  China is beginning to get pissed in having dollars they can't use.  To keep the owners of the Fed happy, Obama may just go ahead and start a war.  And if it turns into WWIII and billions die, that's okay.  The owners of the Fed have their bunkers ready.  As long as they don't loose their financial control, all's good.