News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

critics of islam.

Started by AtheTurk, August 20, 2013, 04:00:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary

Am I missing something? Seriously, where does your site address Islam?  :-s  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

AtheTurk

Quote from: "Solitary"Am I missing something? Seriously, where does your site address Islam?  :-s  Solitary

no no you got it wrong.

i shares what i know..

i am just looking for reality.

Aupmanyav

Quote from: "AtheTurk"i shares what i know .. I am just looking for reality.
He shares. I share. You share. We share. If you want to know reality, read Physics.

However, the writer of book in your link (Swami Dayananda Saraswati) established a cult in hinduism (Arya Samaj). He twisted Vedas to mean what he wanted. For example, Vedas say that a bull was sacrificed and invited Indra, their chief God, to partake it. He gave a completely different, vegetarian :), and false translation. He was against idol worship (his way was to pour libations in fire, the way of the Vedas), and did not accept hindu Gods and Goddesses. Rama, Krishna, Vishnu, Laxmi, etc. But hinduism is not Vedas only, it is more than that. For main-line hindus, it is a sort of blasphemy. I am sorry that he used uncouth language in denouncing christianity and islam. That is not the hindu way. But one must also realize that his action was a reaction against the activities of christian missionaries in that period (under British rule). They have only worsened with time.
"Brahma Satyam Jagan-mithya" (Brahman is the truth, the observed is an illusion)
"Sarve Khalu Idam Brahma" (All this here is Brahman)

JonathanG

Speaking of critics of Islam (and since I can't start new topics yet), has anyone read The Truth About Muhammed, by Robert Spencer?  I picked it up today at the library, but I read a few things about Spencer since I got home, and it seems that he's extremely anti-Islam.  I mean, I'm still going to read the book, but I just wanted to know if anyone had any thoughts on it.
He thinks too much; such men are dangerous.
-Julius Caesar Act I:ii

AtheTurk

we must not be islamist, or anti-islamist. both of bullshit.

problem is objectively reading..

Youssuf Ramadan

Quote from: "JonathanG"Speaking of critics of Islam (and since I can't start new topics yet), has anyone read The Truth About Muhammed, by Robert Spencer?  I picked it up today at the library, but I read a few things about Spencer since I got home, and it seems that he's extremely anti-Islam.  I mean, I'm still going to read the book, but I just wanted to know if anyone had any thoughts on it.

I might have a look for that.  Why I Am Not A Muslim by Ibn Warraq is a pretty good read too.

Colanth

Quote from: "AtheTurk"problem is objectively reading..
Problem is understanding what this site is about.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Cocoa Beware

Quote from: "JonathanG"Speaking of critics of Islam (and since I can't start new topics yet), has anyone read The Truth About Muhammed, by Robert Spencer?  I picked it up today at the library, but I read a few things about Spencer since I got home, and it seems that he's extremely anti-Islam.  I mean, I'm still going to read the book, but I just wanted to know if anyone had any thoughts on it.

Ive come to realize that telling the truth about Muhammed paints him as a real jerk, regardless of whether its told by someone who is pro-Islam or anti-Islam.

(Interestingly, his advocates can make him seem just as disagreeable.)

Shiranu

Quote from: "Cocoa Beware"

Ive come to realize that telling the truth about Muhammed paints him as a real jerk, regardless of whether its told by someone who is pro-Islam or anti-Islam.

I respect Mohammad for the power he created for himself. Kinda like Stalin and Hitler; disgusting people, but you cant argue that they didn't know how to maneuver their way to the top.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

JonathanG

Quote from: "Youssuf Ramadan"

I might have a look for that.  Why I Am Not A Muslim by Ibn Warraq is a pretty good read too.

I just finished it (it's a short book), and Spencer definitely does come from a "Islam is attacking America" angle, but the bulk of the book deals with the discrepancies between what Muhammed actually said and how proponents of Islam choose to interpret it.  Sort of like Christians who choose to ignore all "bad" things in the bible and insist that their god is a loving god.

While it was slanted, the slant was very transparent and easy to read around.  What I did like about it is that all of Spencer's biographical sources were from what most Muslims claim as their sources as well.
He thinks too much; such men are dangerous.
-Julius Caesar Act I:ii

Jutter

Do I really need to read stuff like this, just in case Islam just so happens to be the only religion that isn't bullshit?
It's real easy: Religion is bad, because it mixes politics with superstition, enables the deceitfull to swindle the desperate, and hinders human progress through dogma.
ALL religion.
No religion for me thank you very much; I 'm full of shit enough as it is.

Being flabbergasted about existence never made anyone disappear in a poof of flabbergas, so nevermind why we're here. We ARE here.

AtheTurk

pardon me:

where i linked to you is big. file sorrry.

what i purpose is getting you be read chapter 14(XIV)

Brian37

Quote from: "Jutter"Do I really need to read stuff like this, just in case Islam just so happens to be the only religion that isn't bullshit?
It's real easy: Religion is bad, because it mixes politics with superstition, enables the deceitfull to swindle the desperate, and hinders human progress through dogma.
ALL religion.

A Ramen Noodle!

I get down on atheists or theists who while rightfully point at Islam forget that it wasn't that long ago that Christianity was as bloody and tribal. Secularism put a leash on it and is why when I confronted my Christian co workers with the word "bullshit" to all religions, the best they could do is say "RESPECT ME" and quickly change the topic.

Religion is a weapon, you wont get rid of it, but to claim it is not a weapon is absurd to the point of human suffering because of such ignorance.

Even the oriental religions have had their sects and tribal beefs. China and Japan have their superstitions respectively and they are not exactly friends.

The point is not about labels, the point is that as long as humans dwell in stupid concepts of "I am special because of my superstition" we will always be hindered by such childish insecurity as a species.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

frosty

Quote from: "Shiranu"
Quote from: "Cocoa Beware"

I respect Mohammad for the power he created for himself. Kinda like Stalin and Hitler; disgusting people, but you cant argue that they didn't know how to maneuver their way to the top.

Yeah, I get your point, and I actually agree. Charismatic, strong, goal-minded leaders have manipulated the masses all throughout history. Some use religion, others use nationalism, others use tribal/sectarian/ethnic sentiments, but in the end of the day it's about creating a power structure with the leaders at the top and the subservient masses blindly following the leader's orders at the bottom.