News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Re: Is Esperanto a Religion?

Started by AtheTurk, August 20, 2013, 03:16:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AtheTurk

Plu

How on earth can a language be a religion? That string of words doesn't even make sense.

AtheTurk

it was just a joke. english is enough. of course enoughly enough. otherwise enoughless language.

Mister Agenda

One can be religious in their ardor for Esperanto, I suppose; but it's probably more like religious people have attached themselves to Esperanto. The Ba'hai want one language to bring us together, for instance.
Atheists are not anti-Christian. They are anti-stupid.--WitchSabrina

AtheTurk

Quote from: "Mister Agenda"One can be religious in their ardor for Esperanto, I suppose; but it's probably more like religious people have attached themselves to Esperanto. The Ba'hai want one language to bring us together, for instance.

someones wanne make the world ruled by one goverment.

Solitary

Is Esperanto speaking in tongues?  :-k  No! This is an interesting take on Esperanto. Is it just me or does that sound like some an alien from outer space would say: "Esperanto!"  :lol:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: "Solitary"Is it just me or does that sound like some an alien from outer space would say: "Esperanto!"  :lol:  Solitary
One of the new animated Superman films has the Kryptonians speaking Esperanto.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Plu

QuoteI also have the issue of Christians knowing instinctively that I am opposed to their religion and making trouble for me.

I'm not surprised, really. From what I've gathered about you so far, you act like a real dick.

Mister Agenda

Quote from: "Solitary"Is Esperanto speaking in tongues?  :-k  No! This is an interesting take on Esperanto. Is it just me or does that sound like some an alien from outer space would say: "Esperanto!"  :lol:  Solitary

William Shatner speaks Esperanto. He did a movie in it.

Mister Agenda

Quote from: "jansnyder"
Quote from: "Plu"
QuoteI also have the issue of Christians knowing instinctively that I am opposed to their religion and making trouble for me.

I'm not surprised, really. From what I've gathered about you so far, you act like a real dick.

I may have my reasons for the way I act.

I'm sure you do. If you ever want to talk about it, you can PM me. IANAT (I am not a therapist).

MrsSassyPants

Jan just likes to talk in big words and long sentences in hopes people will think she is smart.  I am just assuming Jan to be a girl name.
If you don't chew big red then FUCK YOU!

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: "Mister Agenda"
Quote from: "Solitary"Is Esperanto speaking in tongues?  :-k  No! This is an interesting take on Esperanto. Is it just me or does that sound like some an alien from outer space would say: "Esperanto!"  :lol:  Solitary

William Shatner speaks Esperanto. He did a movie in it.
He learned his lines phonetically for that movie. If he does speak Esperanto he learned it after that shooting that film.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

thomask

Green Party? Isn't that the religion of Earth with a capital E

missingnocchi

Quote from: "jansnyder"
Quote from: "Plu"

I may have my reasons for the way I act.

The guy masturbating while parked at a McDonald's with a mouthful of fries and tears in his eyes probably has reasons too.
What's a "Leppo?"

timsk

Quote from: "jansnyder"Regarding Esperanto, the easy to learn language fabricated by LL Zamenhof in Poland, meant to be the international language, I have decided this language is a religion.

If you've spent some time in the Esperanto-speaking community, I can certainly imagine how you might have come to that conclusion. There are a significant number of people who are, shall we say, somewhat more fervent about the language and the movement than I'm personally comfortable with.

However, I've also found that there are plenty of really cool people too, who I love spending time chatting, debating, drinking, singing, partying and generally being with.

I referenced exactly this problem in a talk I've given at a couple of Esperanto congresses. Having just spent an hour telling people about a project that I work on and suggesting how they might emulate it in their countries, I then advise them, only half-jokingly, to hide any success they might have from the Esperanto movement in general, because of the wave of unwelcome and sometimes just plain odd attention that they'll attract. "It reminds me of my favourite prayer," I say, putting up the slide that I hope I've managed to paste below.

[attachment=0:3bi9q6br]193590265 kun vortoj.jpg[/attachment:3bi9q6br]

Ping me a PM if you want to talk about it. I'd be interested to hear more about how you reached your conclusion.