Why People In Other Countries Think We Are Silly And Stupid

Started by Solitary, August 17, 2013, 01:05:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary

A new "Bathroom Bill" in Arizona, coming up for debate on Wednesday, could conceivably have users of public bathrooms carrying their birth certificates — to prove that they have the right to use one. The new law would require someone to use the public restroom designated for the sex on their birth certificate — or face a misdemeanor charge. It's clearly aimed at undoing a recent Phoenix law making it illegal to discriminate against gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgendered people — including in public bathrooms. And of course, it's not the first time Arizonans have taken a close interest in a birth certificate.  :roll:

Now compare this with the below:

Germany gives 'third gender' option on birth certificates

Good news for new parents in Germany: You can paint the new baby's room pink, blue or a totally neutral beige. As of Nov. 1, Germany becomes the first European country to let parents assign their baby a "third gender" on its birth certificate if the infant's sex cannot be clearly identified. A court decision led to the change, finding that if a person "deeply feels" they belong to a certain gender, they should be able to choose how to identify themselves. The law is intended to help intersexuals, also known as hermaphrodites, who are people born with both male and female physical attributes.

I wonder what happens to an hermaphrodite from Germany that wants to use a bathroom in Arizona and shows his-her birth certificate. The Republicans here worry about the silliest things.  :roll: Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Colanth

Arizona is just idiotic, but Germany isn't blameless.  They'll "allow" hermaphrodites to list themselves as neither male or female (which they're not), but how about the transgendered?  They're male and feminine or female and masculine.  (There's a difference between gender and sex.)

As far as Arizona is concerned, I believe that anyone who has transitioned can (does?) get a new birth certificate.  Maybe Arizona should specify "the one issued at birth" and lose a huge chunk of tourist income.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

SilentFutility

Quote from: "Colanth"Arizona is just idiotic, but Germany isn't blameless.  They'll "allow" hermaphrodites to list themselves as neither male or female (which they're not), but how about the transgendered?  They're male and feminine or female and masculine.  (There's a difference between gender and sex.)

As far as Arizona is concerned, I believe that anyone who has transitioned can (does?) get a new birth certificate.  Maybe Arizona should specify "the one issued at birth" and lose a huge chunk of tourist income.

Bear in mind that in German language there are three genders that a noun can be: male, female and gender-neutral.
It wouldn't surprise me that they are listing the sex as gender-neutral if the sex of a baby cannot be easily determined so that then gender-specific pronouns do not then have to be used.

Colanth

I'm not arguing what they did, I'm arguing what they didn't.  A transgendered person's gender and sex are both determined, but that law doesn't cover the transgendered.  Most countries don't officially recognize transgenderism.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Solitary

Most countries don't recognize atheism either, but there it is never the less, just like gravity.  8-)  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

SilentFutility

Quote from: "Colanth"I'm not arguing what they did, I'm arguing what they didn't.  A transgendered person's gender and sex are both determined, but that law doesn't cover the transgendered.  Most countries don't officially recognize transgenderism.
Ah my apologies this is clear now that I re-read the post you made earlier.

ApostateLois

I use the men's room a lot. Not the multi-stall ones, but those one-seaters, when the women's room is occupied and I REALLY have to go. I don't care if a guy sees me walking out of the men's bathroom. If I have to pee really bad, I'm not going to wait. And I wouldn't care if a guy used the ladies' room, either. The nearby Wal-mart has a "family restroom" at the back, so that anyone can use it.
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"