News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

My Neighbor's Dog

Started by SGOS, August 13, 2013, 07:13:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

When they aren't home and we have a thunderstorm, he comes over to my house because he's afraid.  Last night he showed up in a storm.  He sat down as close to me as he could get, and we watched the lightening for an hour from my porch, and then I let him in the house, where he sat next to me while I was on the computer.

When the thunder stopped he wanted to go outside, he kept looking in the direction of his house, and was all excited when I walked down my driveway with him for a short way.  When I turned around to go back to my house, he came running back and seemed like he wanted me to walk him home.  But it was dark and I live in the country so I left him outside.  10 minutes later he was gone.

It's odd because he's a big wolf-like looking thing, although he's a loving marshmallow in every respect.  Although most any dog is welcome to visit when the mood strikes them.  Sometimes they are complete strangers and I have no idea where they live.  I keep dog biscuits on hand too.

Farroc

Did he ever bark in a way that suggest somebody's trapped down a well? :lol:
"The idea of getting a, y\'know, syringe full of heroin and shooting it in the vein under my cock right now seems like almost a productive act." -Bill Hicks

SGOS

When I first moved here, I was walking down the road when this big hulk barked at me.  I didn't know him so I turned around and went the other way.  Someone called out, "He won't bite," but I didn't know him, and I wasn't taking any chances.  Last night he wanted to get my attention so he closed his jaws on my hand, but he had the gentlest mouth I've ever seen in a dog.

Colanth

Dogs are pack animals.  He probably just wanted to be part of a pack (even if it was a pack of two) while his own pack was 'away'.

BTW, kudos to you - not many people who don't have dogs keep dog biscuits in the house.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

stromboli

Yeah. My dog huddles with me in thunder storms, they just don't understand the noise. Used to be afraid of fireworks, but after witnessing them a few times, he figured them out. Like Colanth said, they are pack animals. It sees you as a protector in those times.

gussy

I have a coonhound that has killed more little creatures than I can count.  If I use my stapler he runs into the basement and hides under a table until I coax him out.  Dogs can have a strong fear impulse and can be difficult to calm them when they are afraid.  Nice touch with the dog treats.

SGOS

Quote from: "gussy"I have a coonhound
I had a bloodhound pass through my yard one time.  He came up on the porch and I gave him a biscuit.  I'd never petted a bloodhound before.  They are bigger than I thought they would be.  From my limited experience with a bloodhound, I've concluded that bloodhounds must be bred for two major purposes.  One is finding escaped convicts in the woods, and the other is not getting too excited about things.  Just watching that thing lay down on my porch and take a snooze must have lowered my own blood pressure by 10 points.  God, he was good at relaxing.  But he seemed to really like people. :-D