News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Fed up

Started by Aleps, August 13, 2013, 01:04:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aleps

Hi, I am glad to finally find a community of other atheists. I am currently on a long road trip with just my Christian mother, while my atheist dad and sister remain at home. I happened to download a copy of Greta's "Why are you atheists so mad? 99 things that piss off the godless", and when my dear mother questioned what I was reading she turned her head away and proclaimed how disappointed she was with me. We have gone through countless arguments, during which I have stated multiple different opinions from valid sources, on why religion is harmful and how likely it is that god does not exist. Her counter argument is always "You must be so sad and miserable, not believing in anything." I then tell her how I am, in fact, a very happy person, to which she never fails to say "You get it from your dad, I should have taken you to church more. You have to listen to your heart more."  HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO ARGUE AGAINST THAT???!
A miserable heathen scum with no meaning in life.

Aleps

In any case, it's nice to meet you all! I am Aleps, or Alex if you like.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: "Aleps"Hi, I am glad to finally find a community of other atheists. I am currently on a long road trip with just my Christian mother, while my atheist dad and sister remain at home. I happened to download a copy of Greta's "Why are you atheists so mad? 99 things that piss off the godless", and when my dear mother questioned what I was reading she turned her head away and proclaimed how disappointed she was with me. We have gone through countless arguments, during which I have stated multiple different opinions from valid sources, on why religion is harmful and how likely it is that god does not exist. Her counter argument is always "You must be so sad and miserable, not believing in anything." I then tell her how I am, in fact, a very happy person, to which she never fails to say "You get it from your dad, I should have taken you to church more. You have to listen to your heart more."  HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO ARGUE AGAINST THAT???!
Welcome! =-)

I wouldn't argue. I would first ask her if and why she has an issue with you being a skeptic... then go from there.

stromboli

Yeah, tough to argue with your mother. Welcome.

Aleps

Thanks! I will try that!

stromboli

Don't forget to tell her atheists are smarter than the religious.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2023

:-D

StupidWiz

Welcome Alex, you can always vent here.  :)
... To teach superstitions as truths is the most terrible thing. The child mind accepts and believes them, and only through great pain and perhaps tragedy can they be in after years relieved of them. - Hypatia

Aleps

Lol, thanks. I think my atheist girl friend is sick of my venting to her over Skype.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: "Aleps"Lol, thanks. I think my atheist girl friend is sick of my venting to her over Skype.
I need one of those lol

The Whit

Quote from: "Aleps"HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO ARGUE AGAINST THAT???!

Don't.  You literally can't argue with someone who is unwilling to use logic.  I run into this damn problem with my grandparents all the time.  Welcome to the group.  I just got here, too.

Quote from: "PickelledEggs"
Quote from: "Aleps"Lol, thanks. I think my atheist girl friend is sick of my venting to her over Skype.
I need one of those lol

+1!
"Death can not be killed." -brq

Aleps

I need one of those lol

Lol, they are hard to find.  We like to sit together and read bible contradictions.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: "Aleps"
I need one of those lol

Lol, they are hard to find.  We like to sit together and read bible contradictions.
LOL! I'f i could find a redheaded atheist girlfriend, I would be set!

Which is weird... because I'm colorblind and usually can't tell what color the hair is...

Aleps

@The Whit

Average believer: "God is beyond logic and science, you need to think with your heart!"

Le me: "Well, you certainly don't sound like your thinking with your head.  However, if the organ pumping blood thought my system suddenly starts talking to me, I will let you know"

I am glad to see logic holds such a high status with these people, lol.

Aleps

[/quote]
LOL! I'f i could find a redheaded atheist girlfriend, I would be set!

Which is weird... because I'm colorblind and usually can't tell what color the hair is...[/quote]

Lol, if you can't tell, why do you care about the hair color so much?

The Whit

Yeah, logic means a lot to these people...
"Death can not be killed." -brq