News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Good reads

Started by Aleps, August 14, 2013, 12:24:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aleps

I am on a car trip (currently heading back from California to New York), and I just finished Greta's "Why are you atheists so mad? 99 things that piss off the godless".  Anyone know of any other interesting such books?
A miserable heathen scum with no meaning in life.

PickelledEggs

^also any good reads that can get downloaded in audiobook form?

Aleps

Lol, that would be good to.  Mainly, something I can get on IBooks.

Colanth

Quote from: "Aleps"I am on a car trip (currently heading back from California to New York), and I just finished Greta's "Why are you atheists so mad? 99 things that piss off the godless".  Anyone know of any other interesting such books?
California to New York?  I say this as a life-long-until-this-year New Yorker - is there a book titled "Turn Back, You're Going the Wrong Way"?
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

aitm

Quote from: "Colanth"
Quote from: "Aleps"I am on a car trip (currently heading back from California to New York), and I just finished Greta's "Why are you atheists so mad? 99 things that piss off the godless".  Anyone know of any other interesting such books?
California to New York?  I say this as a life-long-until-this-year New Yorker - is there a book titled "Turn Back, You're Going the Wrong Way"?

Not a book but Horace Greenwall if I recall  ;)
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

stromboli

"God, No!" By Penn Gillette. He explains why we basically are all atheists.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: "stromboli""God, No!" By Penn Gillette. He explains why we basically are all atheists.
I heard about that one. Heard it was good from a number of people.

The Whit

One of my local churches was giving out Lee Strobel's "The Case for Christ" and I scooped it up.  I got about 180 pages in and he starts talking about how christianity had a huge hand in bringing about the 1800s because of their higher moral standards.  I had to put the book down for a few days to process the level of ignorance that just has to be something only a con would say.

I did finish the book, and none of it is any better.  If you ever find yourself so drunk you need to puke but not so drunk that you can, read this.
"Death can not be killed." -brq

Aleps

Quote from: "Colanth"

Lol, so true. I am going back kicking and screaming.

Aleps

Quote from: "The Whit"One of my local churches was giving out Lee Strobel's "The Case for Christ" and I scooped it up.  I got about 180 pages in and he starts talking about how christianity had a huge hand in bringing about the 1800s because of their higher moral standards.  I had to put the book down for a few days to process the level of ignorance that just has to be something only a con would say.

I did finish the book, and none of it is any better.  If you ever find yourself so drunk you need to puke but not so drunk that you can, read this.

I actually downloaded that, tried reading it, and suffered severe brain damage due to boredom and pure stupidity.

Colanth

Quote from: "The Whit"One of my local churches was giving out Lee Strobel's "The Case for Christ" and I scooped it up.  I got about 180 pages in and he starts talking about how christianity had a huge hand in bringing about the 1800s because of their higher moral standards.
You mean that if not for Christianity the universe would have ended at the end of 1799?  Or is he claiming that the 19th century was actually more moral than the 18th century?  (If it was, it was because of the REDUCED influence of Christianity in the US.)
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

SGOS

Quote from: "jansnyder"I tried reading a book recently which was written by a religious nut from the American south who hates Puritans. I was trying the view of this guy, as he was supposedly educated and has study latin and greek at university. It was almost impossible to read, so I donated to my local library.  It was sort of interesting to read an educated religious nut's hatred of Puritans though, because after all he is hating a religion.  On the whole though, I would call this guy a sort of pro-slavery Nazi, and his book is like Mein Kampf, but its something to check out if you are sick of the religious people in the northeast of the USA. Its kind of a study of the mentality of the southerner complete with bizarre fantasies about southerners being superior people who are closer to nature.

https://www.createspace.com/3493142
You never see Puritans running around in their black and white dresses, big belt buckles, and funny hats.  Have they all gone underground or something?  And why would a theist be angry at Puritans?  They must have been "pure" otherwise they would have been called something else.   :-D

Mister Agenda

It's a bit of a quick read, but if you want something to boil your blood, Attack of the Theocrats by Sean Faircloth comes to mind.
Atheists are not anti-Christian. They are anti-stupid.--WitchSabrina

Aleps

Thanks! I am reading God, no right now. Really funny.

mykcob4

I read murder mysteries mostly. I like the ones set in merry old England. Right now I am reading 'Death of a Gossip', 'Death of a Cad', The casebook of Hamish Macbeth by M.C. Beaton.
By far the best read I have had in the last ten years is the series 'Girl with the Dragon Tattoo'.
The Stephane Plumb series by Janet Evonovich is really funny.