News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Peeves

Started by Atheon, August 06, 2013, 09:18:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

Quote from: aitm on June 16, 2015, 02:08:30 PM
My wife's family nearly had an apocalyptic fit when I told them no turkey for thanksgiving one year.....they showed up all grumpy and ornery until I served them Skewers of shrimp diablo for appetizers, then shrimp scampi on wild rice, steamed King Crab and Broiled Lobster tails. Naturally they loved it but next year whined they wanted turkey again..wwwhhhhhaaaa we want turrrrkey....meh fuck all of them.
My pet peeve is when I have a thanksgiving dinner and there is NOT turkey, gravy, potatoes, and stuffing----and, and............ice cream!  Take your shrimp and lobster and............you know, where the sun don't shine.  Wild rice?  Yeah, that would be good...................
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

aitm

Quote from: Mike Cl on June 16, 2015, 02:25:55 PM
My pet peeve is when I have a thanksgiving dinner and there is NOT turkey, gravy, potatoes, and stuffing----and, and............ice cream!  Take your shrimp and lobster and............you know, where the sun don't shine.  Wild rice?  Yeah, that would be good...................

traditionalist.... :naughty:
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Hydra009

Quote from: aitm on June 16, 2015, 02:08:30 PMMy wife's family nearly had an apocalyptic fit when I told them no turkey for thanksgiving one year.....they showed up all grumpy and ornery until I served them Skewers of shrimp diablo for appetizers, then shrimp scampi on wild rice, steamed King Crab and Broiled Lobster tails. Naturally they loved it but next year whined they wanted turkey again..wwwhhhhhaaaa we want turrrrkey....meh fuck all of them.
Yeah, fuck them.  Your version sounds a hell of a lot better.

Mike Cl

Quote from: aitm on June 16, 2015, 03:27:07 PM
traditionalist.... :naughty:
Yeah, I guess in this area consider me a conservative.  Dam--made my fingers hurt to type that.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Savior2006

Quote from: GSOgymrat on June 09, 2015, 09:17:38 PM
People who think gay men can't have biological children. I am gay, not sterile. I know three different gay male couples who have biological children through surrogates.

Dumbass: The state has no vested interest in letting gays marry because they can't have kids.
Me: Should we take marriage rights from straight couples who don't or can't have kids?
Dumbass: No.
Me: Why not?
Dumbass: Because marriage is about encouraging people to have kids.
Me:  So it's not a requirement.
Me: So you don't have to do it.
Me: So gays can get married then.
Me: Why not?
Dumbass: Because they can't have kids.
It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano

GSOgymrat

That kind of reasoning can occur when people try to rationalize a moral intuition. People will say being gay is not natural because there are not gay animals. When shown lots of animals engage in homosexual  behavior they then claim humans shouldn't behave like animals.

trdsf

Quote from: Mike Cl on June 16, 2015, 04:05:01 PM
Yeah, I guess in this area consider me a conservative.  Dam--made my fingers hurt to type that.
I'm with you, Thanksgiving doesn't feel right without turkey.  We deep fry ours, so we're not completely tradition-bound... or has that been around long enough that it can be considered traditional, too?

The sides are up to mood and whim.  Usually I'll have a couple things from The Lady Julia's Mastering the Art of French Cooking suggested to me, and I love cooking from that book because Julia Child is a teacher, not just a cook.  We've made traditional chestnut stuffing... and then we've made White Castle stuffing.

But yeah, none of us who gather can conceive of Thanksgiving without a turkey.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Mike Cl

Quote from: trdsf on June 16, 2015, 06:37:53 PM
I'm with you, Thanksgiving doesn't feel right without turkey.  We deep fry ours, so we're not completely tradition-bound... or has that been around long enough that it can be considered traditional, too?

The sides are up to mood and whim.  Usually I'll have a couple things from The Lady Julia's Mastering the Art of French Cooking suggested to me, and I love cooking from that book because Julia Child is a teacher, not just a cook.  We've made traditional chestnut stuffing... and then we've made White Castle stuffing.

But yeah, none of us who gather can conceive of Thanksgiving without a turkey.
For the last 3 yrs. we have deep fried a smaller turkey and oven baked the bigger one.  But then, this is a family affair--we have had up to 30 people, and usually average 18/19 per yr.  So, the meal is usually what my wife's mother made, with a bit of what my mother made, and maybe one or two things that are different.  While the White Castle gravy looks good--and I'm sure it is--the gravy has to be 'like mom (or grandma) made.  One of the delights is usually cranberry pudding with hard sauce--it is so rich that once a year is enough.  But, yes, it is very, very good!  That is the one day that calories get thrown out the window--all goes in the mouth.  And the football naps are grand. :))

Atheon

The term "forward slash". It's just "slash"!

/ slash
\ backslash

Simple as that. No "forward slash". It's redundant and annoying.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Munch

I think George said it best.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=h6wOt2iXdc4

And this isn't against parents in general, I just have disdain for obsessive child worshippers, who expect everyone else to love and worship children as much as they do.
When I was a child, mum didn't try and force everyone she knew to worship her and her children, she let me and my brother play and do stupid things so we'd learn what's painful and what's not.

Nowadays, certain parents have to schedule everything like an office meeting, they have to be paranoid if the kid comes down with a cold, and they expect everyone else to conform to their need for child management.

To those parents, not all, just the ones mentioned, let you kid eat bugs, let them play rough house until they learn pain, let them do stupid shit. And if you have kids and your partners working, hold off looking for a career until they are old enough that you don't need to babysit them. I really hate seeing grandparents forced to being child careers in their twilight years just cause both parents want to have a career and have children same time.

Ok I went off there a bit, but yes, child worshippers, and parents who fob off their kids to others so both can have careers.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Mike Cl

The misuse of the word 'unique'.  Something is either unique or not.  It cannot be 'most unique', or 'more unique' or the uniquest. 

aitm

Quote from: Atheon on June 18, 2015, 04:34:24 AM
The term "forward slash". It's just "slash"!

/ slash
\ backslash

Us lefties view the "backslash" as the correct slash...you rightist you!
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

trdsf

Quote from: aitm on June 18, 2015, 10:48:41 AM
Us lefties view the "backslash" as the correct slash...you rightist you!
Does that mean the vertical bar | is the slash for the ambidextrous?
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hydra009

Quote from: trdsf on June 19, 2015, 04:36:37 PM
Does that mean the vertical bar | is the slash for the ambidextrous?
C'est une pipe!  :P 

kilodelta

People who don't use pillow cases for their pillows....

Faith: pretending to know things you don't know