News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Peeves

Started by Atheon, August 06, 2013, 09:18:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atheon

GF: Get up! It's a beautiful day and you're sleeping?? Why so lazy? What's wrong with you, sleeping like this?

Later the same day:

GF: You really need to get more sleep. Studies show that getting plenty of sleep is good for your health, both physically and mentally. Try to get at least 8 hours.

Me: (boggle)
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Mermaid

I am too lazy and have too shitty an internet connection to check if I've already stated this peeve, so this is either new or a reaffirmation:

I HATE HATE HATE when stories or article are preceded by telling the reader/listener how they will react to said story, or by what you are doing wrong in life.

This will blow your mind! YOU WILL DIE FROM CUTENESS! You will love this! You will hate this! This is what you are doing wrong in the bedroom/in the bathroom/at work/in the house/with your laundry.

What the FUCK happened to objective news? Has everyone in the world gotten so stupid that they rely in the media to tell them how to feel about things!???

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Hydra009

Pointing to something on a computer screen by physically touching it.  Unless it's a touchscreen, it's unnecessary and gets the screen dirty.

stromboli

Munch

I listen to a lot of creepy pasta narration on my kindle while doing mundane things. One thing I hate is listening to a story, especially a long one for an hour or two, just for the end to be ruined by something clique or predictable.

I also get pissed off if I'm just enjoying my day doing nothing at all, just relaxing, then I get friends skyping or calling me telling me they want to do something, I refuse because I just want to chill, and they get upset or moody because I'm not doing what they want me to do. Just pisses me off if I'm relaxed and I get given an attitude because that's what I want to do, nothin at all.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

kilodelta

Misrepresenting a reference in support of a claim.
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

Atheon

Anachronisms in TV shows about the 70s, 80s or 90s... such as people using slang that wasn't invented until decades later.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Hydra009

Quote from: Atheon on April 12, 2015, 12:19:46 AM
Anachronisms in TV shows about the 70s, 80s or 90s... such as people using slang that wasn't invented until decades later.
That and watching stuff about famous scientists/inventors where they apparently see all the ramifications of their discoveries/inventions years in advance.

"With these laws of motion, I will pave the way for astronauts to land on the moon!" - Newton, probably

trdsf

Quote from: hillbillyatheist on August 06, 2013, 10:35:10 PM
people peeved about people being peeved at people being peeved! take THAT!
Recursion peeves me!!
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Valigarmander

Citing a tabloid as if it were a reliable source.

Hell, tabloids in general just piss me off.

Munch

Store salesmen who walk up to me in any store I'm just generally browsing in who come up with a big fake smile asking 'Hi, can I help you today?', to which they will never get me saying yes, because if I wanted help, I'd come to you.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Atheon

Quote from: Valigarmander on April 12, 2015, 04:27:29 AM
Citing a tabloid as if it were a reliable source.
Or Conservapedia, Drudge Report, The Blaze or some other source of utter garbage.

trdsf

Quote from: Atheon on April 12, 2015, 06:06:07 AM
Or Conservapedia, Drudge Report, The Blaze or some other source of utter garbage.
Especially when the people who quote them as if they were true refuse to accept news reported by CNN, the Washington Post, the New York Times, the BBC, or even Science Magazine because "oh, those are all biased (against x/in favor of y)."
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Draconic Aiur

peeve it up with washing hands all the goddamn time

kilodelta

Quote from: Munch on April 12, 2015, 05:00:47 AM
Store salesmen who walk up to me in any store I'm just generally browsing in who come up with a big fake smile asking 'Hi, can I help you today?', to which they will never get me saying yes, because if I wanted help, I'd come to you.

Just ask for something they obviously wouldn't carry. When they say they don't have it, say thank you and move on. Just don't ask for an apple in Best Buy... that kind of backfires.
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know