News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Peeves

Started by Atheon, August 06, 2013, 09:18:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atheon

Liberals who, following a major victory for social justice like the US victory for gay marriage, whine and cry that OTHER issues haven't been solved, and act all depressed and disgusted about it.

Can't they see that the latest victory is an advancement, and that it means that the other issues CAN be solved if we fight for them?

(This is related to a logical fallacy I call the "fallacy of single-tasking" (I don't know the formal name): Just because you advocate one idea doesn't mean you don't simultaneously advocate other ideas. Or, just because a body (e.g. the government or research facility) is working on one problem doesn't mean it can't simultaneously work on solving other problems. Or, just because the media is reporting on one issue doesn't mean it's not also reporting on other issues.) 
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

kilodelta

Coworkers who are not just useless, but a liability... and corporate management that realizes that, but fails to take corrective action.
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

Munch

The condescending nature of developers like game, movie or comic book writers, who when addressing their fans treat them like eight year olds in how they discuss issues with their product, when in reality they haven't got a clue how to go forward, but just sit there nodding and smiling.
I know its just a business practice to convince the audience they are getting what they want when its not anything close, but when its done by the same developers over and over, same condescension, same crap results, sometimes you want to smack the smug lying grins off their faces.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

trdsf

I used to think that the most annoying thing Google did was slap creationist/religious ads (usually ones for that bullshit "museum" in Kentucky) all over videos from Dawkins, Harris, Hitchens, etc.

Nope, they hit a new low today, putting this one on a video from the Charleston shooting memorial service:

At best, it's appallingly tone deaf.  At worst, it's thoughtless and disrespectful.  And in either case, it's horrifically inappropriate considering the subject matter of the video.  Unless Google thinks there should have been a free-for-all shootout.

And if the site placing the ad requested this placement, Google had a responsibility to say 'no, that would not be appropriate under the circumstances.'

I am genuinely sick to my stomach.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

SilentFutility

Quote from: Munch on June 27, 2015, 12:30:08 PM
The condescending nature of developers like game, movie or comic book writers, who when addressing their fans treat them like eight year olds in how they discuss issues with their product, when in reality they haven't got a clue how to go forward, but just sit there nodding and smiling.
I know its just a business practice to convince the audience they are getting what they want when its not anything close, but when its done by the same developers over and over, same condescension, same crap results, sometimes you want to smack the smug lying grins off their faces.

Then don't buy their games.

Quote from: trdsf on June 27, 2015, 06:49:44 PM
I used to think that the most annoying thing Google did was slap creationist/religious ads (usually ones for that bullshit "museum" in Kentucky) all over videos from Dawkins, Harris, Hitchens, etc.

Nope, they hit a new low today, putting this one on a video from the Charleston shooting memorial service:

At best, it's appallingly tone deaf.  At worst, it's thoughtless and disrespectful.  And in either case, it's horrifically inappropriate considering the subject matter of the video.  Unless Google thinks there should have been a free-for-all shootout.

And if the site placing the ad requested this placement, Google had a responsibility to say 'no, that would not be appropriate under the circumstances.'

I am genuinely sick to my stomach.

There's isn't a fat controller sitting there placing ads. They are computer-generated.

Hydra009

Unexplained or poorly explained mechanics in video games:

"You've reached level 1.  +1 vim or +1 moxie?"  I have no idea what either of those do or have any sort of basis for comparison.
"Gives -20% coin discount on target settlement"  Does it make things cheaper or more expensive?
"Your settlement has squalor"  What is squalor and how do I get rid of it?!
"Go to Waypoint Charlie and disarm the bomb"  Waypoint Charlie is a map marker on a 2D map of a 3D tower.  There are LOTS of places where it could be.  Meanwhile, it's ticking away like a science fair project.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 22, 2015, 04:36:14 PM
Unexplained or poorly explained mechanics in video games:

"You've reached level 1.  +1 vim or +1 moxie?"  I have no idea what either of those do or have any sort of basis for comparison.
"Gives -20% coin discount on target settlement"  Does it make things cheaper or more expensive?
"Your settlement has squalor"  What is squalor and how do I get rid of it?!
"Go to Waypoint Charlie and disarm the bomb"  Waypoint Charlie is a map marker on a 2D map of a 3D tower.  There are LOTS of places where it could be.  Meanwhile, it's ticking away like a science fair project.
That's what quick saves are for. :))  At least, that's how I use them.  Try it one way, and if that's not it, try another.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Munch

pet peeve I have in gaming, one I try to remedy in games like skyrim and other games allowing full control of clothing, is the old RPG dimorphism thing between men and women, not just in shape, but in armor.

What is very obvious pandering to a horny young male market, I find the whole concept ridiculous that in fantasy settings where you have characters fighting the same enemies, dragons and demons and armies, you have men in full plate and/or protective gear, covering them from anything from small to major injury.. and yet women dress like stage hookers.

This just bothers me, but not because I'm a prude, but just because, if they think its okay to make female armor look intentionally hooker wear, the fact they don't do the same for men just strikes me as ridiculous. This is why in games like skyrim, I choose certain mods to remedy this.

Just seems to be balancing the status quo
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

stromboli

Companies like Johnson&Johnson that put harmful shit (microbeads) in their products, and when it is pointed out, do everything to fight removing it. And companies that make insect sprays that contain Nicotinoids and know full well they are harmful.

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on September 22, 2015, 07:00:40 PMThis just bothers me, but not because I'm a prude, but just because, if they think its okay to make female armor look intentionally hooker wear, the fact they don't do the same for men just strikes me as ridiculous. This is why in games like skyrim, I choose certain mods to remedy this.
I usually go the other way.  Ditch the hooker wear for more practical armor.

Like you, I'm not prudish, it just seems too bizarre for basically a thong to be considered heavy armor and somehow protect the midsection despite not actually covering it.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 22, 2015, 10:04:44 PM
I usually go the other way.  Ditch the hooker wear for more practical armor.

Like you, I'm not prudish, it just seems too bizarre for basically a thong to be considered heavy armor and somehow protect the midsection despite not actually covering it.
First couple of play through, I agree.  I do it that way.  Then I'm into the thong heavy armor. :)))
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

stromboli

My ancestors the Celts

They didn't wear clothing in battle because the cloth had dirt and bacteria on it and caused wounds to be infected. So badass the Romans built a wall across Northern England to keep them out.

Atheon

When fighting against women, warriors invariably aim for the boobs or vagina, which is why the female characters only need to protect those parts! :D
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Poison Tree

Quote from: Atheon on September 22, 2015, 11:35:34 PM
When fighting against women, warriors invariably aim for the boobs or vagina, which is why the female characters only need to protect those parts! :D
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

Gerard

Quote from: stromboli on September 22, 2015, 11:29:26 PM
My ancestors the Celts

They didn't wear clothing in battle because the cloth had dirt and bacteria on it and caused wounds to be infected. So badass the Romans built a wall across Northern England to keep them out.

Back from the days when the History channel was still about history, MTV about music and Discovery Channel had actual documentaries......... I won't even mention what you can "learn" from The Learning Channel these days.......

Gerard