News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Meet the new Doctor.

Started by the_antithesis, August 05, 2013, 10:16:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_antithesis

QuotePeter Dougan Capaldi (born 14 April 1958) is a Scottish actor and film director. He has had a large number of roles in film and television, and is perhaps best known for his role as Malcolm Tucker in the BBC comedy series The Thick of It and its follow-up film In the Loop. In 1995, he won the Academy Award for Live Action Short Film for Franz Kafka's It's a Wonderful Life, which he directed. He has also won a BAFTA Award, a Chlotrudis Award and two British Comedy Awards.

I, for one, am glad they went with an older chap. That was always the Doctor's thing. He was an old man, hence he needed Jaimie or Leeta around to be his muscle back when he wasn't fucking space jesus.

Hydra009

I miss Tennant.  And to a lesser extent, Matt Smith.  And Pond and Rory.  :(

I haven't exactly been a fan of how the show's been going lately (though Hide and Nightmare in Silver were pretty good), and this guy isn't particularly reassuring.  We'll see.

Eric1958

I'd heard that Helen Miran was being considered and had commented that she might like to do it for one season. I think that would have been great. I got into the show when Tom Baker was the doctor and was a fan of his. Different show back then of course, more campy.

Jutter

It's about time they went for an older goofier looking doctor again, rather than a younger slicker one. Otherwise that chap who plays the new Q in 007 Skyfall would've been great. And I of course hope we'll indeed see more of Jon Hurt's role in the unfolding meta-plot. That teaser sure teased.
No religion for me thank you very much; I 'm full of shit enough as it is.

Being flabbergasted about existence never made anyone disappear in a poof of flabbergas, so nevermind why we're here. We ARE here.

PickelledEggs

I'm looking forward to the new doctor. I am going to miss Smith... he was my favorite of the last 3, but, I am also looking forward to how the new doctor will be.

Fidel_Castronaut

The only reason that the BBC took 30 minutes out of the schedule on Sunday night is becuase Dr Who is much more popular in the US than it is here in the UK.

As someone who has never watched Dr Who, I was assuming they were going to go for a black guy, especially because there were quite a few good black actors that I think would have made a good choice.

But meh. No fucks were given.
lol, marquee. HTML ROOLZ!

Shiranu

I haven't watched much Dr. Who, so I cant say one way or another. I also do not know this guy, so that makes me even less qualified to give an opinion on it.

QuoteOtherwise that chap who plays the new Q in 007 Skyfall would've been great.

I rather like him actually, I think he might make a solid replacement. He does have, to me anyways, a Doctor Who-ish look.

Edit: speak of the devil...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/0 ... ostpopular

He just came out as gay and married for the last year.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Youssuf Ramadan

Quote from: "the_antithesis"I, for one, am glad they went with an older chap. That was always the Doctor's thing. He was an old man, hence he needed Jaimie or Leeta around to be his muscle back when he wasn't fucking space jesus.

Amen to that.  IMO the Doctor is an eccentric old geezer, not some little knob who looks like someone from Boyzone.  I don't think I've seen a full episode since Tom Baker.... have I missed much?...  8-[

the_antithesis

Quote from: "Youssuf Ramadan"Amen to that.  IMO the Doctor is an eccentric old geezer, not some little knob who looks like someone from Boyzone.

Depresses me no end that I know what Boyzone is. They weren't very popular in the US, that I can tell, anyway.

Hydra009

Quote from: "Fidel_Castronaut"The only reason that the BBC took 30 minutes out of the schedule on Sunday night is because Dr Who is much more popular in the US than it is here in the UK.
Yeah, I don't get that.  I talk about TV shows with friends and family and practically every time I talk about Doctor Who, I get blank stares like I'm talking about Earth 2 or something.  Walking Dead, everybody knows what I'm talking about.  Game of Thrones, everybody who knows how to use a computer knows what I'm talking about.  Doctor Who, who?   #-o

Do I just live in the wrong part of the States or something?   :-?

And I might be wrong about this, but I thought the good Doctor was HUGE in England.  Not Starcraft in Korea huge, but like baseball in the US huge.  Not everybody's into it, but there's a pretty substantial following.  People at least know about it.  Isn't it like that?

Youssuf Ramadan

Quote from: "the_antithesis"
Quote from: "Youssuf Ramadan"Amen to that.  IMO the Doctor is an eccentric old geezer, not some little knob who looks like someone from Boyzone.

Depresses me no end that I know what Boyzone is. They weren't very popular in the US, that I can tell, anyway.

US still has creativity in popular music, Britain is Simon Cowell's bitch....  :(

Shiranu

Quote from: "Youssuf Ramadan"
Quote from: "the_antithesis"

US still has creativity in popular music, Britain is Simon Cowell's bitch....  :(

>Pop music
>Creative

Ohyou.jpeg.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

PickelledEggs

Quote from: "the_antithesis"US still has creativity in popular music, Britain is Simon Cowell's bitch....  :(
Creativity in U.S. pop music.... let me scan through my dusty pop radio stations real quick...

//http://www.apple.com/euro/itunes/charts/top10popsongs.html
Miley Cyrus, Selena Gomez, and a bunch of other people I don't know because I refuse to turn on the radio anymore....

I hate to be a debbie downer, but most pop music isn't creative, just catchy. But then again so is that "head on, apply directly to the forehead" commercial.

Youssuf Ramadan

Quote from: "PickelledEggs"
Quote from: "the_antithesis"US still has creativity in popular music, Britain is Simon Cowell's bitch....  :(
Creativity in U.S. pop music.... let me scan through my dusty pop radio stations real quick...

//http://www.apple.com/euro/itunes/charts/top10popsongs.html
Miley Cyrus, Selena Gomez, and a bunch of other people I don't know because I refuse to turn on the radio anymore....

I hate to be a debbie downer, but most pop music isn't creative, just catchy. But then again so is that "head on, apply directly to the forehead" commercial.

'Popular' in that you can access a variety of styles of music fairly easily via independent radio stations, which are still somewhat lacking over here in comparison to the US.  The internet has improved things here, but if Beyonce farted down the microphone about 90% of radio listeners in Britain would still prostrate themselves in worship.   :Hangman:

mykcob4

Quote from: "the_antithesis"[ Image ]

QuotePeter Dougan Capaldi (born 14 April 1958) is a Scottish actor and film director. He has had a large number of roles in film and television, and is perhaps best known for his role as Malcolm Tucker in the BBC comedy series The Thick of It and its follow-up film In the Loop. In 1995, he won the Academy Award for Live Action Short Film for Franz Kafka's It's a Wonderful Life, which he directed. He has also won a BAFTA Award, a Chlotrudis Award and two British Comedy Awards.

I, for one, am glad they went with an older chap. That was always the Doctor's thing. He was an old man, hence he needed Jaimie or Leeta around to be his muscle back when he wasn't fucking space jesus.
Oh cool I actually like the original doctor and the original series. The low budget special effects made it entertaining for me. I remember when I was really young and visited family in Belfast, I saw the program for the first time. The theme song was so eerie that it actually scared me. I was even afraid to go into an elivator(lift) or a phone booth after that for awhile.