News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

George R R Martin on Writing Women

Started by Poison Tree, August 04, 2013, 02:17:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poison Tree

I've been forgetting to post this for more then a week. Several places on the internet I've stumbled across this, often with glowing praise for his writing of female characters:

I've not read the books and have only watched some of the TV episodes, but I don't really think there is anything great about the way he depicts women. I asked my sister (who's seen all the episodes, but has not yet finished reading the latest book) and she went even further in complaining about his depictions of women, saying they are a major reason why she's be unable to force herself to finish the book in months (I've known her to read 200 pages between brushing her teeth and falling asleep) and decried that people are viewing Martin's description of women as some kind of new standard of excellence.

But that's just her (and my) opinion, so I thought I'd see what you all think: Are the descriptions of women in George R R Martin's writings remarkably good and something he should be praised for, unremarkable and typical or poor and even negative.
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

Shiranu

I don't see anything amazing about them, and I don't see anything bad about them. They are characters like everyone else... some are good, some are bad.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur