News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Morals?

Started by Pretentious, August 01, 2013, 01:00:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pretentious

Even as a non-believer, I think that there is a lot to learned from the bible. Ethics, morals, right ways to present your life as an example to others... the list goes on and on. However, the idea of an intelligent creator is simply ridiculous. I`ll go as far as too hear a lesson on kindness from the bible, but I can`t deal with the fact that some of us humans believe in magic. But does that mean we disregard the bible completely? Bill Gates forbid. We should look at the morals and ethics represented in Christianity, and actually USE it.

Feel free to discuss anything you disagree with, I`m up for discussion.
 :-|
"You`re my favorite deputyyyyyyyy."

Bibliofagus

I think the bible is full of very good moral lessons as well as you do. Probably even more so.

That's why I have stoned my unruly children to death. Which is a problem because god just asked me to sacrifice my child to him to prove my faith and now I'm fucked.

I also created intelligent life, but failed to make them all believe that I'm their benevolent 'father'. Therefore I'm torturing them for all eternity. Except the ones that believe that I tortured my son to death to atone for my failure of course.
Quote from: \"the_antithesis\"Faith says, "I believe this and I don\'t care what you say, I cannot possibly be wrong." Faith is an act of pride.

Quote from: \"AllPurposeAtheist\"The moral high ground was dug up and made into a walmart apparently today.

Tornadoes caused: 2, maybe 3.

the_antithesis

Quote from: "Pretentious"Even as a non-believer, I think that there is a lot to learned from the bible. Ethics, morals, right ways to present your life as an example to others... the list goes on and on.

You mean like if your children are disobedient, you should have them murdered?

You mean like if a woman is raped, she is a whore and should be murdered?

You mean slitting open the bellies of pregnant women and smashing small children's heads against rocks?

What morals and ethics are you talking about?

Pretentious

Quote from: "the_antithesis"
Quote from: "Pretentious"Even as a non-believer, I think that there is a lot to learned from the bible. Ethics, morals, right ways to present your life as an example to others... the list goes on and on.

You mean slitting open the bellies of pregnant women and smashing small children's heads against rocks?

Actually, what you have listed there is original ancient Jewish culture. And the morals and Ethics of CHRISTIANITY I am referring to is the way we should treat one another. I do see what you are saying though, there IS some outrageous shit in the bible. I`m just saying that we should govern ourselves on how Christians SHOULD act.

Bibliofagus

Quote from: "Pretentious"

Actually, what you have listed there is original ancient Jewish culture. And the morals and Ethics of CHRISTIANITY I am referring to is the way we should treat one another. I do see what you are saying though, there IS some outrageous shit in the bible. I`m just saying that we should govern ourselves on how Christians SHOULD act.

Great. Then you'll love answering the post I made.
Quote from: \"the_antithesis\"Faith says, "I believe this and I don\'t care what you say, I cannot possibly be wrong." Faith is an act of pride.

Quote from: \"AllPurposeAtheist\"The moral high ground was dug up and made into a walmart apparently today.

Tornadoes caused: 2, maybe 3.

Fidel_Castronaut

Are you referring to the golden rule?

Welcome btw :)
lol, marquee. HTML ROOLZ!

Solitary

If you mean these principles of morality I would agree. How many Christians actually go by this? And why would you have to be taught these principles that are just common sense, and with a God's approval. I mean how much brain power does it take to know what is right or wrong? And what good are moral rules if they aren't explained as to why they are wrong, instead of just saying they are a sin?  

Ethics and morals are behavioral principles in humans that determine what is right and what is wrong. As per the belief of a common man, Christianity is a religion that is bound by a certain set of rules and regulations that have been imposed by the Almighty. A Christian is required to follow these principles that impose a sense of morality and a specific ethical behavior in the individual.

Ethical practices in Christianity evolved during the Roman era. This was the period when early Christians were a part of Roman Empire. Ethics in Christianity are primarily centered on grace, mercy and forgiveness. A Christian is expected to have thoughts and deeds that are respectable and honorable and must abstain from doing any sins. The three virtues indicated in Bible include faith, hope and love. However, another four cardinal virtues were adapted by Aquinas that includes justice, courage, temperament and prudence.

According to the New Testament, God is the supreme power who is autonomous, independent and is self-existent. Individuals should have complete belief and love towards God with unfettered heart, mind, strength and soul. The New Testament directs individuals to love neighbors as one would love oneself. Morality refers to good and evil. Religion of Christianity states that good exists only in God. There is no other form of legitimate, genuine and absolute "Good" except the God Himself. Think about that! A person can't be good without God?

It is God who reveals Himself and He can only define His character of goodness. One can have complete understanding and knowledge of goodness if they know God through Jesus Christ. Goodness is not a static structure. It is a dynamic state that constantly flows. When has He shown himself? Did I miss this? So the God of the Old Testament cleaned up His act now? This is like saying OJ knows he did wrong now so all is OK and forgiven and known for his goodness.  :rolleyes:  This is incoherent! :roll:

This means that in modern times, the question of ethics and morality in Christianity is being seriously debated. The people from the old school want to hold on to the preachings of the Bible while the more progressive ones want to change according to the times and situations.
Is it the word of God (ancient people) that changes, or the word of (modern people) that changes?

To sum it up, why in the world do you need religion, bible, or a God to be good when it is obvious it hasn't been true for thousands of years of recorded history? This is just pick and choose from an ambiguous book that one agrees with even if they are an atheist.  :roll: Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

frosty

QuoteIs it the word of God (ancient people) that changes, or the word of (modern people) that changes?

Human language evolves over an extended period of time. Especially thousands of years. Even within a span of, say, 10 years, language changes albeit on a far smaller scale.

As language and it's use changes over the passage of time, so do the way we perceive certain text since language has a lot to do with how we perceive things. Language in many ways is synonymous with perception as it is one of the main ways humans use to interact with and perceive the world around them.

Also, even these days, people of certain tribes are dying out and the languages they knew that was specific to their tribe fades away because nobody else outside the tribe knew it and it was not possible in the time given to translate it to another known human language. The same can be applied to "biblical (ancient) times". Language changes quite often and thus different translations passed on through the ages can become muddled from the "original" document due to certain languages not having words another language might have, different dialects being used, human error, and so on and so forth.

surly74

Quote from: "Pretentious"Even as a non-believer, I think that there is a lot to learned from the bible. Ethics, morals, right ways to present your life as an example to others... the list goes on and on. However, the idea of an intelligent creator is simply ridiculous. I`ll go as far as too hear a lesson on kindness from the bible, but I can`t deal with the fact that some of us humans believe in magic. But does that mean we disregard the bible completely? Bill Gates forbid. We should look at the morals and ethics represented in Christianity, and actually USE it.

what parts of the bible should we take our morals from that a reasonable person doesn't already understand?

Also, if you are basing your morals on the bible because you think it will get you to heaven then you aren't moral.
God bless those Pagans
--
Homer Simpson

Pretentious

Quote from: "Solitary"If you mean these principles of morality I would agree. How many Christians actually go by this? And why would you have to be taught these principles that are just common sense, and with a God's approval. I mean how much brain power does it take to know what is right or wrong? And what good are moral rules if they aren't explained as to why they are wrong, instead of just saying they are a sin?  

Ethics and morals are behavioral principles in humans that determine what is right and what is wrong. As per the belief of a common man, Christianity is a religion that is bound by a certain set of rules and regulations that have been imposed by the Almighty. A Christian is required to follow these principles that impose a sense of morality and a specific ethical behavior in the individual.

Ethical practices in Christianity evolved during the Roman era. This was the period when early Christians were a part of Roman Empire. Ethics in Christianity are primarily centered on grace, mercy and forgiveness. A Christian is expected to have thoughts and deeds that are respectable and honorable and must abstain from doing any sins. The three virtues indicated in Bible include faith, hope and love. However, another four cardinal virtues were adapted by Aquinas that includes justice, courage, temperament and prudence.

You`re right. These acts of morals should be common sense, so why should you need a God to make it all complete? I`ve only been a part of this site for two hours or so, and I love it here!

Pretentious

Quote from: "surly74"
Quote from: "Pretentious"Even as a non-believer, I think that there is a lot to learned from the bible. Ethics, morals, right ways to present your life as an example to others... the list goes on and on. However, the idea of an intelligent creator is simply ridiculous. I`ll go as far as too hear a lesson on kindness from the bible, but I can`t deal with the fact that some of us humans believe in magic. But does that mean we disregard the bible completely? Bill Gates forbid. We should look at the morals and ethics represented in Christianity, and actually USE it.

what parts of the bible should we take our morals from that a reasonable person doesn't already understand?

Such morals as self sacrifice for other`s benefit, humility, just generic ways of being respectful I guess. But you`re right, most life morals are common sense. And have you noticed that a Christian cannot technically be moral? Being respectful and generous for self benefit does not make you a godly person, it makes you insincere. I like you, you know what you`re talking about.

surly74

Quote from: "Pretentious"I like you, you know what you`re talking about.[/color]

good, send me front and back scans of all your credit cards please.
God bless those Pagans
--
Homer Simpson

Pretentious

Quote from: "Pretentious"I like you, you know what you`re talking about.[/color]

My credit card number is 4.

LikelyToBreak

Welcome!   :-D

That being said, could you explain why, or where we could find morals taught in the bible?

QuoteLeviticus 24:16
And he that blasphemeth the name of the LORD, he shall surely be put to death, and all the congregation shall certainly stone him: as well the stranger, as he that is born in the land, when he blasphemeth the name of the Lord, shall be put to death.

This moral obligation seems to suggest I, and every other atheist here should present ourselves to those who would stone us to death.  Guess what?  I ain't gonna do it.   :twisted:

Aesop's fables are better moral guides than the bible is.  In my humble opinion.

Still, welcome and hope we don't scare you away.  I for one love to think about ideas which are different from mine.

surly74

My credit card number is 4.

this will take a lot of posts...

why is self sacrifice for other's benefit a moral? seems pretty nebulous.
God bless those Pagans
--
Homer Simpson