News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Earth as a dot in space

Started by WitchSabrina, July 23, 2013, 07:11:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colanth

And in other late-breaking news, scientists have discovered that water is wet.  Now we'll see how they use THAT to prove that their god is real.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "Colanth"And in other late-breaking news, scientists have discovered that water is wet.  Now we'll see how they use THAT to prove that their god is real.

:rollin:
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

StupidWiz

Quote from: "WitchSabrina"
Quotetanyamccleish
The objectivity of personhood is the basis of all scientific knowledge. Once there is no difference between the observer and the thing observed, the philosophical basis to have confidence in the results of scientific inquiry is gone. It is, quite literally, the end of Science. Looking at the photograph forces the human mind into questions of origins and beginnings, which leads to things like the contingency argument of Aristotle, and the necessity of the self-existent, eternal Being, the "First Cause," Anselm's ens necessarium. Atheism is the philosophy dejour, the fashionable worldview for the modern pseudo-intellectual. It's cool! It's easy, as long as you don't have to think to hard. Forget that it has no answer to explain Man? No basis for morals? The universe is full of contingency, but Atheism is powerless to grapple with that, so it just absolutizes the universe, as an "explanation" of how it began. Atheism is the greatest mystic religion (life, and worldview) there is. finitum capax infiniti.

One of my favorite comments in the thread below the pictures.   I read this and just said "Whut?"  LOL
Just another idiot who claims that Atheism is a religion, meh.  :roll:

But she put latin words!! *gasp*  [-(
... To teach superstitions as truths is the most terrible thing. The child mind accepts and believes them, and only through great pain and perhaps tragedy can they be in after years relieved of them. - Hypatia

ApostateLois

I love any pictures of Earth taken from a vast distance. There are not very many of them, but the one that inspired Sagan's Pale Blue Dot speech is my favorite. You can't even see the moon, just the itty-bitty pinprick that is Earth. It really drives home the fact that we are NOT the center of the universe, or the center of the galaxy, or even the center of the solar system, but just one of zillions of bits of matter in the cosmos. Our passing will leave no more impact on the universe than stepping on an insect leaves on our shoe.
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"

Eric1958

Quote from: "Plu"I guess it just scares the theists when they are reminded of how small a speck of dust the earth is in the cosmic picture.

Kinda reminds me of this picture again: http://jruck.us/post/51174563225/applep ... ower-happy

Thanks for that link, the jesus shot at the end is priceless.

Solitary

QuoteLooking at the photograph forces the human mind into questions of origins and beginnings

That assumes there has to be an origin and beginning of everything or first cause. The universe could just be like an infinitely of multiverses. It still doesn't answered the question with God being the first cause unless you say He just is, and also why the universe can't just be. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Shiranu

This picture was lame, and you should feel lame for liking it.

:popcorn:
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur