The Christian Myth Is Based on Pagan Myths

Started by Solitary, July 27, 2013, 11:32:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary

The tide goes out, the tide goes in, you can't explain that, you wild wicked witch!

Just kidding Sabrina my dear.  :rollin:  :rollin:  :rollin: Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Fidel_Castronaut

Quote from: "PilatesQuestion"I've answered most of the objections here (that are not ad hominem fallacies) in the other threads on this topic.

As for the Elvis sightings, if there was accurate documentation on Elvis sightings, as well as the presence of a growing body of Elvis-believers who were willing to die for their faith in Elvis, then I would believe that Elvis rose from the dead. Also, the body of Elvis would have to be missing. :)

PQ I think you're missing the point of rational debate here.

Did you read any of Colanth's points or just dismiss them without consideration?
lol, marquee. HTML ROOLZ!

surly74

Quote from: "PilatesQuestion"
Quote from: "Colanth"Osiris (ca 2450 BCE) was brought back from death so he could father a son (Horus).  The Egyptians probably got the idea from earlier myths.

Actually, the pieces of his body were sort of stuck back together by his 'lover'. Moreover, the myth of Osiris changed several times as Egyptian history went on.
Jesus was fully Resurrected from the dead, was able to walk and to talk on his own and performed miracles after His Resurrection. The story of His Resurrection never changed.

so you don't believe one story but another one you do? The point is both are stories, as well as any other ones, just stories, never happened all based on other stories.

If you are skeptical of one you must be skeptical of all of them.
God bless those Pagans
--
Homer Simpson

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "Solitary"The tide goes out, the tide goes in, you can't explain that, you wild wicked witch!

Just kidding Sabrina my dear.  :rollin:  :rollin:  :rollin: Solitary

:rollin: perfect lol
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

Solitary

QuoteAs for the Elvis sightings, if there was accurate documentation on Elvis sightings, as well as the presence of a growing body of Elvis-believers who were willing to die for their faith in Elvis, then I would believe that Elvis rose from the dead. Also, the body of Elvis would have to be missing.

Where are these accurate documentations of Jesus sightings, as well as the presence of a growing body of Jesus believers who were willing to die for their faith in Jesus when He rose from the dead when He was alive?  :roll:  Not even one documentation about a earthly Jesus until 40-60 years after He became a Zombie. Elvis's body would have to be missing and he sure as hell hasn't been walking around dead even though many people claim to have seen him like those that saw Jesus walk around dead did 40-60 years later---you can't answer that without sounding like you are bat shit crazy.  :roll:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Colanth

Quote from: "PilatesQuestion"As for the Elvis sightings, if there was accurate documentation on Elvis sightings, as well as the presence of a growing body of Elvis-believers who were willing to die for their faith in Elvis, then I would believe that Elvis rose from the dead.
There's no accurate (written at the time, by an eye witness, at least) documentation of Jesus, and there's no evidence that the "Christian martyrs" actually existed.

Opinions written by people who weren't yet born at the time of the event isn't evidence.  Opinions written by people who were known liars aren't evidence.  The Bible isn't evidence that what's in the Bible is true.

QuoteAlso, the body of Elvis would have to be missing. :)
Tell us that one in 1,000 years - when the "documentation" claims that when Elvis' grave was opened, there was nothing in it.  (BTW, no one has opened Elvis' grave, so it might well be empty now.  How do you know it isn't?)

No one questioned the "empty tomb" until centuries later - when no one actually knew the location of the tomb.

You've done it again, Ollie - presented assertion as evidence.  (And no, that's not an ad hom, it's a statement of fact.)
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

PilatesQuestion

Quote@WitchSabrina: The simplest argument for Jesus' Resurrection is that creeds were written less than five years after Jesus' death about His life, deity, death, burial, and Resurrection.
It would be nice if we had any such - which we don't.

But even if we did, they wouldn't be any more evidence than the Bible is.  Assertion isn't evidence, whether it's assertion made during the event or assertion made millennia later.

Again, the closeness to the event that the assertion is made has nothing to do with the truth of the assertion.

QuoteCompared to other historical documents, this is very early, thus validating it.
See above.  The date of a document can invalidate it, but it CAN NOT - alone - validate it.

QuoteHere's an excellent video with excellent charts that can explain the idea of early dating better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHWVWw9gJT8
Full of apologism (mainly assertions that boil down to "the Bible is true"), but no science and no historicity.

Quote@Fidel_Castronaut: Colanth and I are primarily debating each other in another thread.
Irrelevant.  The way a forum works is that you answer each post in the thread in which it's posted.  (Or you don't answer it.)

Quote@surly74: There's no historical validation for the story of Osiris and Isis at all.
There's no historical validation (the Bible isn't historical validation) of the story of Jesus at all.  (Please don't bring Tacitus and Josephus up again.  I've already addressed why they're not evidence of Jesus.)

Quote@Solitary: Even if the first WRITTEN documentation was 40 years after His death
It was, assuming he died in 33 CE, at least 77 years after his death.

Quotethat would still be more reliable
Again, dates determine UNreliability, they can't be used to determine reliability.

QuoteBut we have earlier written documentation from creeds written five years later
Links?

Quoteand from Paul's letters (especially 1 Corinthians), written 15-30 years later.
Evidence for this claim?  (And remember, Paul was writing about a 'Jesus' who lived in the 7th heaven, not one who lived on Earth.  Everything he wrote was "according to scripture" [which meant the OT] or Jesus "told" him.  Since the OT never mentions Jesus, except by Christian assertion that they know the Jewish Bible better than the Jews, and we know that the dead can't talk, Paul is pure fiction.)

Jmpty

???  ??

Colanth

Quote from: "Jmpty"All Christians should watch this video.
http://youtu.be/MlnnWbkMlbg
It won't convince the most deluded fundies.  Read the comments.

Jmpty

Quote from: "Colanth"
It won't convince the most deluded fundies.  Read the comments.

Yeah, I know, but I'd rather post a video than talk to them.
???  ??

Hijiri Byakuren

Ah, yes, I remember watching this series back when he was still working on it. Good stuff.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Colanth

As far as the topic of the thread, I think the relationship of Christianity to Pagan myths is about the same as the relationship of humans to Chimpanzees.  The Jesus myth didn't come from Pagan myths, they all came from the same source.  That's why each one is a little different, the same as evolved species.  Memes evolve in pretty much the same way that genes do.

Cocoa Beware

Quote from: "PilatesQuestion"As Riza Aslan says, most of these authors hold PhDs in their fields which makes them qualified. :) Besides this, these authors studied every shred of evidence and did not insert personal opinions. I challenge you to read these books. :D

ETA: Lee Strobel, while not a PhD, was an atheist who set out to see what Christianity was all about and was converted because of the research he conducted. Dr. Gary Habermas was a doubting Christian who was contemplating Buddhism while he conducted his research.

All one has to do is research the validity of Christianity for themselves. :)

I think its kind of misleading that they award PhDs for that kind of thing.

And as for Aslan, from what I can tell he is no different then his apologist peers, except he has a better vocabulary. He makes the same mistakes (e.g. speaks of atheism as if it was just another religion)

Plu

QuoteAs for the Elvis sightings, if there was accurate documentation on Elvis sightings, as well as the presence of a growing body of Elvis-believers who were willing to die for their faith in Elvis, then I would believe that Elvis rose from the dead. Also, the body of Elvis would have to be missing. :)

So all it takes for you to accept a stupid claim, is the knowledge that a lot of other people also accept the same stupid claim?

I think that's more or less the definition of:

hobie

The other myths are just myths. Jesus' story is true.