Juror: Zimmerman Got Away With Murder

Started by Jmpty, July 25, 2013, 06:59:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colanth

Quote from: "Seabear"Colanth, what you seem to be trying to argue makes no sense whatsoever. On the one hand, you seem to be saying that GZ premeditated, engineered, orchestrated, and manipulated the whole situation, at the drop of a hat, after calling 911, for the sole purpose of shooting a complete stranger for no reason.
No, I didn't say that,  I didn't intimate it, I didn't even address it.

I said that if - in Martin's mind - Zimmerman's actions posed a threat to Martin, Martin was justified in attempting to nullify that threat.

QuoteOn the other hand, you blame GZ for not being more sensitive to vague racial connotations about inferences that arise from blacks and whites in the south.
No, just that if - in the mind of the person who "attacks" you - you posed the first threat, your killing him isn't self defense, it's furtherance of the initial threat that you posed.

If Zimmerman doesn't want to take into account that a black teenager being followed by a white adult at night in the south thinks differently than he does, he shouldn't be following black teenagers at night.  He's responsible for the results of his actions, whether he wants to make the effort to figure out what those consequences might be or not.  (That's pretty much what negligent and involuntary mean - that you ignored what could happen as a result of what you did.  And they form the legal basis of negligent manslaughter and involuntary manslaughter charges.)

QuoteThese are mutually exclusive positions.
I have only one position - that if, in Martin's mind, Zimmerman's actions constituted a danger to Martin's safety or life, Martin had the right to prevent Zimmerman from harming Martin.

QuoteGZ had to be bumbling and socially / racially insensitive enough to fail to recognize he might frighten TM, and at the same time be a cunning sociopathic genius capable of constructing and executing a complex plan with no prior planning in order to murder a stranger in cold blood with no motive whatsoever.
1) Any intelligent racist meets both criteria.

2) I never claimed that Zimmerman set out to murder Martin.  But his use of "self defense" if (I'm not claiming he was - the prosecution was remiss in giving that theory to the jury) he was the aggressor shouldn't have been admissible.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.