Sick of the Royal Baby Already?

Started by stromboli, July 22, 2013, 12:40:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian37

Oh stop, I am not judging someone merely because they have wealth or are born into it. But the worship of it is sickening to me.

People should be judged by their actions. But people should also be able to reason about the means of the nation vs a personal luxury and Britain has never been practical about the impracticality of having a Royal Family. Wanting them and needing them are two different things.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Shiranu

QuoteRight, the Royal family are simply high paid zoo exhibits, but they are also welfare queens. The empire their ancestors created was not born out of democracy. It was started by the "divine right of kings BY FORCE". Now, if they are mere figure heads, then they are NOT a necessity to the survival of Britain. The palaces could still be Museums without people living in them and tours could still be given. The money saved by not supporting their salaries could be used for creating jobs and cheaper higher education. They have economic problems too, and much of that could be solved if the money sucked out of the tax payers to support them stayed in the tax payers hands.

The thing is people go to see a LIVING monarchy.

And so what if they aren't "necessary" to the survival of Britian? I guarantee you Britain ain't goin' anywhere anytime soon. So if they want to continue a cultural institution that provides more money back than it takes, have at it.

QuoteA Monarchy is still a dictatorship, even if only in name. I don't like the worship of a horrible history, even if the current lot in power are not doing it now. It sill allows humans to ignore our past.

But that is exactly what you are asking people to do... ignore the past. Get rid of your culture, become a homogeneous blob of people that have no individual histories or customs. Like it or not, the monarchy IS British history... without it, there would be no Britain.

QuoteGet it? None of us are special, that is the point of it all. Evolution doesn't give one fuck who you are, what family you were born into, what nation you came from, or how much money you have or don't have. In the end we all die. And in 1 million years no one is going to be around to give one fuck about this family or that baby. And in a few billion years from now, all life on this planet will go extinct, and even the sun will die. The universe will go on without any record of us.

If evolution doesn't give a fuck, then why should you? And why should you therefor condemn people for not bowing to what evolution wants when you say it wants nothing?
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Shiranu

QuoteSo you're saying americans can't be proud but brittish can? why the double standard?

Our flag represents america. The british flag represents brittain. The queen is just the descendant of a family that conquered the islands by force and who would still be a dictatorship where it not for for the British subjects forcing the royalty to sign the Magna Carta.

*facepalm*

If you are going to condemn the Brits for being proud of their history because its exhibited oppression, then you cant at the same time say American's are any better with their motifs and symbols. The flag is just as dirty of symbol, if not more, as the monarchy, yet the post I quoted you were holding it up like it was somehow any better than them.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: "Hijiri Byakuren"
Quote from: "hillbillyatheist"We don't elevate one family by birthright above the rest of us.
With the possible exception of the Kennedys, anyway.
Yeah, but fat lot of good that did for ol' John and Robert. :P

As per this issue about the royal baby bringing so much attention and such, I can kind of understand it. I mean, the royal family kind of represents a time when the English enjoyed the most powerful empire in the world. Sure it was horrible for the people under their control, and that shouldn't be overlooked, but at that time things were going wonderfully for the British. As per Americans and others who are going absolutely gaga over this, I'm guessing it has something to do with us being strong allies with the UK, and a general liking of British culture in general over here...not exactly sure.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Shiranu

QuoteOh stop, I am not judging someone merely because they have wealth or are born into it.

QuoteAbsolutely fucking sick of it. They are simply welfare queens. I don't know who is worse, that family, or the idiots who pay taxes to support them.

hillbillyatheist

Quote from: "Shiranu"
QuoteSo you're saying americans can't be proud but brittish can? why the double standard?

Our flag represents america. The british flag represents brittain. The queen is just the descendant of a family that conquered the islands by force and who would still be a dictatorship where it not for for the British subjects forcing the royalty to sign the Magna Carta.

*facepalm*

If you are going to condemn the Brits for being proud of their history because its exhibited oppression, then you cant at the same time say American's are any better with their motifs and symbols. The flag is just as dirty of symbol, if not more, as the monarchy, yet the post I quoted you were holding it up like it was somehow any better than them.
LOL you missed my point. neither americans nor british people should hate their countries because of the past.

the british could still celebrate their culture and shit same as we do. we don't have a king. do you think we should?

if we can rally around a flag and eat turkey, why can't they rally around their flag and eat blood pie, all without elevating one family above the rest?
like my posts and thoughts? then check out my new blog. you can subscribe via email too, so that when its updated, you\'ll get an email, letting you know.

just click here

Shiranu

Quotethe british could still celebrate their culture and shit same as we do. we don't have a king. do you think we should?

Uh, no... of course I don't.

We also didn't have a monarchy for 1500 years (that is over 7 times as old as we have even existed as a nation) who unified the various countries and tribes of the British Isles, so it wouldn't make any sense.

Quotef we can rally around a flag and eat turkey, why can't they rally around their flag and eat blood pie, all without elevating one family above the rest?

So our culture is better, and they should therefor do things like us.

Sorry, I don't buy that ethnocentrism bull.

hillbillyatheist

Quotethe british could still celebrate their culture and shit same as we do. we don't have a king. do you think we should?

Uh, no... of course I don't.

We also didn't have a monarchy for 1500 years (that is over 7 times as old as we have even existed as a nation) who unified the various countries and tribes of the British Isles, so it wouldn't make any sense.
lets run with this. How do you feel about the south and confederate flags and such?

look at the Irish. they finally gained independence from the crown and they still managed to celebrate their rich culture and rally around their flag.

you don't think the british couldn't do likewise?  1500 years of monarchy doesn't matter to me. slavery is much older why don't we still celebrate that institution? what if the south kept symbolic slavery?

Quotef we can rally around a flag and eat turkey, why can't they rally around their flag and eat blood pie, all without elevating one family above the rest?

So our culture is better, and they should therefore do things like us.

Sorry, I don't buy that ethnocentrism bull.

yes republics are better than monarchies. they should do that like us.

there's alot more to their culture than some old hag in a castle.
like my posts and thoughts? then check out my new blog. you can subscribe via email too, so that when its updated, you\'ll get an email, letting you know.

just click here

Shiranu

Quotelets run with this. How do you feel about the south and confederate flags and such?

Depends on why you fly it. If you are proud of being Southern, go for it. If you are proud of your South for "putting the blacks in their place", well then you are a sad person.

Quoteyou don't think the british couldn't do likewise? 1500 years of monarchy doesn't matter to me. slavery is much older why don't we still celebrate that institution? what if the south kept symbolic slavery?

I didn't realize slavery unified 4 nations, promoted the arts in England, protected the nation in time of war....

Quoteyes republics are better than monarchies. they should do that like us.

You... did you really just imply that the UK is still a monarchy?

Quotethere's alot more to their culture than some old hag in a castle.

I see you apparently don't know a thing about the monarchy or how it ACTUALLY works anymore then, or apparently its influence in basically every aspect of British culture, from art to writing to its symbolism to the English people in times of crisis.

Hydra009

Quote from: "Shiranu"The thing is people go to see a LIVING monarchy.
Only by very broad definition of living.

Quote from: "hillbillyatheist"yes republics are better than monarchies. they should do that like us.
And they do, to a large extent.  It's a parliamentary system with a vestigial monarchy.

hillbillyatheist

Quotelets run with this. How do you feel about the south and confederate flags and such?

Depends on why you fly it. If you are proud of being Southern, go for it. If you are proud of your South for "putting the blacks in their place", well then you are a sad person.

Quoteyou don't think the british couldn't do likewise? 1500 years of monarchy doesn't matter to me. slavery is much older why don't we still celebrate that institution? what if the south kept symbolic slavery?

I didn't realize slavery unified 4 nations.
who said slavery unified four nations?

that said who said those nations WANTED unified? by that logic india should be celebrating too. after all the royalty united lots of countries! LOL including them.

Quoteyes republics are better than monarchies. they should do that like us.

You... did you really just imply that the UK is still a monarchy?
it is. to be exact its a constitutional monarchy.

Quotethere's alot more to their culture than some old hag in a castle.

I see you apparently don't know a thing about the monarchy or how it ACTUALLY works anymore then, or apparently its influence in basically every aspect of British culture, from art to writing to its symbolism to the English people in times of crisis.
I'm aware of things such as the fact that the royalty is mostly a ceremonial thing now. I don't care. basically in england if my last name is Windsor I'm above everybody else. I think thats sick. fuck the royalty. I hate everything they stand for. it seems we're at an impasse. I suppose we should just shake hands and agree to disagree.

just click here

Shiranu

Quoteit is. to be exact its a constitutional monarchy.

It's a monarchy in which the monarchy has zero power... that is not a monarchy.

QuoteI don't care. basically in england if my last name is Windsor I'm above everybody else. I think thats sick. fuck the royalty. I hate everything they stand for. it seems we're at an impasse. I suppose we should just shake hands and agree to disagree.

I guess. Clearly the English don't have a problem with it since they support it, and since they are the ones who have to deal with it, not us... I don't see why it's our place to judge them for it.

And that is simple human nature, that will happen even if we lived in a purely communist nation in which everyone was on paper equal. For as much as Brian likes to talk about evolution, he should be all over this... this is a product of human evolution. People who's family have done great things will be judged on a different level. People who's families have done terrible things will be judged on a different level. You can hate that all you want, but that is the way our brain's are wired.

Hydra009

WAT.

Oh yeah, having a son was her clever plan from the get go.  Because that's really something you have a lot of control over.   :rolleyes:

For her next trick, she might have to eat something and use the loo.  *feigned surprise*

Solitary

Royalty---Off with their heads!    :-&   :Hangman:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Shiranu

Quote from: "Hydra009"[ Image ]
[ Image ]
[ Image ]

WAT.

Oh yeah, having a son was her clever plan from the get go.  Because that's really something you have a lot of control over.   :rolleyes:

For her next trick, she might have to eat something and use the loo.  *feigned surprise*

I saw that... to be fair to her, I'm sure some stupid reporter in Britain or France said something just as stupid... but come on, you're making us look bad!