Favourite Quotes

Started by Shiranu, July 21, 2013, 05:43:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian37

Quote from: "Jmpty"The problem is

You think
you have time.

The Buddha

So the Buddha said that. So? Humans have said the same similar things prior to and outside Buddhism.

In a very basic sense it is not a stretch for a human to see things, plants, animals and other humans die and come to this same conclusion, even if they never became or become famous.

Buddhism has no monopoly on wisdom nor did it's founder have any clue about scientific evolution. "You think you have time" is a mundane observation humans have made all the time.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Shiranu

Quote from: "The Buddha"Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.

Quote from: "The Buddha"Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace.

Quote from: "Siddartha, Hermann Hesse"When someone seeks," said Siddhartha, "then it easily happens that his eyes see only the thing that he seeks, and he is able to find nothing, to take in nothing because he always thinks only about the thing he is seeking, because he has one goal, because he is obsessed with his goal. Seeking means: having a goal. But finding means: being free, being open, having no goal."
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: "KMFDM 'Dogma'"So what do you want?
You want to be famous and rich and happy
But you're terrified you have nothing to offer this world
Nothing to say and no way to say it
But you can say it in three languages
You are more than the sum of what you consume
Desire is not an occupation
You are alternately thrilled and desperate
Sky high and fucked
Let's stop praying for someone
To save us and start saving ourselves
Let's stop this and start over
Let's go out
Let's keep going

Quote from: "Neitzsche"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.

And finally one that just makes me laugh:
Quote from: "Cave Johnson"When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Shiranu

I love Cave Johnson :D.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

GSOgymrat

If it happens that the human race doesn't make it, then the fact that we were here once will not be altered, that once upon a time we peopled this astonishing blue planet, and wondered intelligently at everything about it and the other things who lived here with us on it, and that we celebrated the beauty of it in music and art, architecture, literature, and dance, and that there were times when we approached something godlike in our abilities and aspirations. We emerged out of depthless mystery, and back into mystery we returned, and in the end the mystery is all there is.? James Howard Kunstler

Jmpty

"Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes, the bear eats you."

The Big Lebowski
???  ??

Jmpty

Quote from: "Brian37"If our species never questioned social norms our species never would have left the caves. Me

What kind of pompous ass quotes himself?
???  ??

Colanth

Quote from: "Brian37"So the Buddha said that. So? Humans have said the same similar things prior to and outside Buddhism.
One thing the Buddha said, which was unusual for the time, was to question everything - including the words of the Buddha.  Most people back then demanded that their "wisdom" be accepted.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Brian37

Quote from: "Jmpty"
Quote from: "Brian37"If our species never questioned social norms our species never would have left the caves. Me

What kind of pompous ass quotes himself?

So? Oh I forgot, only famous people and rich people should be quoted. It's written in law somewhere isn't it? DAMN YOU GOT ME!

Pompus, you want pompous? "I don't give a fuck", how is that for Pompous?

Ok crybaby, I'll quote a famous person to placate your own insecurities, "Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions" Thomas Jefferson.

If you quoted yourself and I liked your quote, I'd simply say "Thats a good one", not "You are being a showoff".

You are an idiot to think good ideas should not come from yourself? Do you lack self confidence in your life?

What you did here would be like staring at my fingertip while I point at the moon. How about a little dose of grow up.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Brian37

Oh and just to piss you off more, here is another one I came up with.

"Any culture or religion that doesn't allow it's girls or women to make their own life choices deserves nothing but scorn and contempt" ME.

FUCK, there I go again.

Solitary

QuoteIs a member of a contingent of individuals referring to themselves as "The Smurfs". Collectively we refer to ourselves as "Alpha Smurf". The group consists of 2 physicists (myself being one), 3 Psycho Smurfs, 1 Engineer Smurf, 1 Bio smurf, 2 Farmer Smurfs, 1 Doctor Smurf GP, 3 Electronic Smurfs (or hacker Smurfs), 1 Archeo Smurf, 30 individuals in all. There are no Smurfettes. The Smurfs originate from a sports/adventure club who collectively took up the study of a book referred to as "The Bible". We took on the likeness of Smurfs from the various field of life's endeavors we are in. We have found/encountered a new and different interpretation of the book and have taken on the undertaking to make that interpretation known to others/people.

:rollin:  #-o  :lol:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Shiranu

One of the lines in the long Bioshock Infinite ending... spoilers be ahead...

[spoil:19w0j196]
QuoteElizabeth: "We swim in different oceans but land on the same shore. It always starts with a lighthouse."

Booker: "I don't understand..."

Elizabeth: "We don't need to. It'll happen all the same."

Booker: "Why?"

Elizabeth: "Because it does. Because it has. Because it will."
[/spoil:19w0j196]