News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Personal DNA Testing

Started by Jack89, July 19, 2013, 12:38:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack89

One of my hobbies is genealogy and I've traced my family history back pretty far, to the early 1600's for several lines. A few month ago I decided to have my DNA tested to check and see of the family history matched.  

I went with the company 23andme because they also test for predisposition for health risks, inherited conditions, traits and drug responses.  

I got the result a little over a week ago and have been sifting through information they sent.  It's pretty interesting.  My ethnic background was as expected; 100% Northern European with Primarily French, German, Scandinavian, British, Irish and Finnish ancestry.  The percentage are surprisingly close to what I expected.  I didn't have any surprises on the medical side. The highlights were a higher chance of getting Rheumatoid Arthritis and a lower chance of heart disease.  

They do autosomal dna testing only.  I eventually want to get my y-dna tested because there is a Project for my surname out there and I'd like to match it up and see where it goes.  

Fun stuff. Anyone else ever try this?

Jason78

It sounds like interesting stuff.  How much did it cost you?
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Solitary

I had this test done last time I was in the hospital unknown to me. I was told I have a great chance of having blood diseases, tumors, and would probably get cancer of the pancreas that my mother died from. I've already had deep vein thrombosis three times that went to my lungs causing multiple embolisms, an adenoma (tumor) of my pituitary gland, and prostate cancer. Even if these tests show a possibility a lot can be done to prevent them and cure them now. All men will get prostate cancer sooner or later, but a simple blood test can show you have it before it's too late. After 40 years of age get the test done, it could save your life, but your sex life won't be the same.  :shock:  :cry:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Jack89

Quote from: "Jason78"It sounds like interesting stuff.  How much did it cost you?
$100 plus tax.  Just so you know, there are a couple of states that don't allow people to order personal DNA tests. New York is one, I can't remember the other.

SGOS

Quote from: "Jack89"
Quote from: "Jason78"It sounds like interesting stuff.  How much did it cost you?
$100 plus tax.  Just so you know, there are a couple of states that don't allow people to order personal DNA tests. New York is one, I can't remember the other.
I wonder what the reasoning behind not allowing you have a personal DNA test is?  Sounds kind of strange on the surface.

Jmpty

I've been thinking about doing it as well.
???  ??

Jack89

Quote from: "SGOS"
Quote from: "Jack89"
I wonder what the reasoning behind not allowing you have a personal DNA test is?  Sounds kind of strange on the surface.

Here's what it said on 23andme's website: "While 23andMe is authorized to ship sample collection kits to the state of New York, 23andMe is currently unable to process saliva samples collected in or mailed from the state of New York. The New York Department of Health considers our Personal Genome Service a test requiring a lab license and direct physician involvement."  

I read elsewhere that New York State feels that a physician needs to be involved to explain the results of the test because while a person may have a genetic predisposition to a particular disease or condition, it doesn't mean they're going to get it.  There are other factors to consider as well.

In other words it's typical New York paternalism.

Jack89

Quote from: "Solitary"I had this test done last time I was in the hospital unknown to me. I was told I have a great chance of having blood diseases, tumors, and would probably get cancer of the pancreas that my mother died from. I've already had deep vein thrombosis three times that went to my lungs causing multiple embolisms, an adenoma (tumor) of my pituitary gland, and prostate cancer. Even if these tests show a possibility a lot can be done to prevent them and cure them now. All men will get prostate cancer sooner or later, but a simple blood test can show you have it before it's too late. After 40 years of age get the test done, it could save your life, but your sex life won't be the same.  :shock:  :cry:  Solitary
Yep, even if you're at higher risk it doesn't mean you're gonna get the disease, especially if you're aware and take what action you can.

Hydra009

Quote from: "Jack89"$100 plus tax.
That's a damn good deal for all the information you get out of it.

supergenius

excellent... we can find information on DNA about genetic problems that might occur. Beautiful... soo
Right now I am researching methods on how to talk on message boards efficiently. I will do some research on DNA testing. Account for other posts that I want to type in... and so on
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zrw_yTsh1o4
somebody help me
add me on facebook, my name is Chris Vos, i am the guy with the white shirt against the wall thaqt says super genius on the picture

supergenius

So ye I did some searching. I am also trying to improve my English. I found at that United States has the biggest DNA database for DNA matching. I found about two more pages of information that is not really relative to this subject. It is similiar, but has to do with forensics. My first trial has produced unfavorable results. I will try again later. Time to do some Math
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zrw_yTsh1o4
somebody help me
add me on facebook, my name is Chris Vos, i am the guy with the white shirt against the wall thaqt says super genius on the picture

Plu

QuoteRight now I am researching methods on how to talk on message boards efficiently.

Step one in efficient use of message boards: don't tell the subjects on those message boards what you're doing, they won't like being treated like that and will frustrate your efforts to get useful information out of the boards.

Consider it a free tip. Next one will cost ya  :roll:

Shiranu

Being a Mediterranean mutt I am interested, but not particularly $100 interested.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Plu

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"I really don't get why would anyone feel a need to do something like this other than looking for something 'marketable' in their back ground in terms of primitive human culture and tell other people.

Other than health and medicinal reasons, I find chasing one's genes to find out 'ancestry', pretty primitive and don't believe it's just curiosity to find out roots.

I'm not surprised that the same kind of people who think that it's a personal victory when their local football team wins think it's a personal victory when one of their ancestors accomplished something.

SGOS

Any farther back than my grandparents, who I knew very well, I have at most, a mild curiosity about my unknown relatives.  My sister devotes much time to researching and exchanging information with other members of the family who also have a keen interest in the subject.  

Whoever my ancestors were, they don't mean that much to me.  I'm grateful that they supplied the eggs and sperm that led to my existence, but I don't give them any credit for me being who I am.   In fact, at least one set of my grandparents were plumb whacky, and many of my living relatives today, would be the last people in the world I would choose as close friends.  Rather than owe them for me being who I am, I tend to think I've had to spend a great deal of energy overcoming much of the bullshit that makes up my family tree.

Now follow that family history back two, three, or four hundred years, and you're probably dealing with some horribly unenlightened members of the human species that lived in filth and ignorance.  As a matter of archeological interest, I'd be more interested in knowing about the environment they lived in than who these long dead lost souls were.