If gay marriage lead to multiple marriage ... so what?

Started by Broede, July 17, 2013, 04:27:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frosty

I am not into marriage or having kids myself. They can be fulfilling, yes, but they can also be a nightmare. I'd rather just live my own life and do my own thing, and if people want to do certain things with their life it's their choice provided they are civilized about it and it respects the human rights of others.

kilodelta

I'll send away for 5 or 6 asian wives. I'm sure they'll be able to take care of my house and other needs. They'll all have to live in the same room and get jobs to pay for the rent on the room and their other needs.
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

stromboli

I'm thinking Philippines. Love them pot stickers.

Jesus

It'd be awkward if I met a really attractive girl only to find that she's my distant, distant, distant step-sister because polygamy was legalized. Of course, the only downside to legalizing polygamy and it becoming widespread is the sudden decrease in available men/women (assuming incest is still an issue ....).

The bestiality argument has always been weak in my mind's eye. The very first thought that came to my mind when that argument was first put forth was with the issue of consent. And as for the argument concerning pedophiles and their rights ... children lack the same judgment as one would possess if her or she was older. Plus, in most case of pedophilia the child was either forced into it or manipulated/tricked.

Slippery slope.

I like to appear in various forms, but my favorite is as a toast.

Triple Nine

Quote from: "Jason_Harvestdancer"
Quote from: "Mermaid"Same sex marriage and plural marriage have absolutely nothing to do with each other, first of all.

They're both about marriage freedom.

The conservatives like to say "slippery slope, what will gay marriage lead to, multiple marriages?"  The progressive response is to say "no way, that's a slippery slope argument, we're only interested in going so far."  But the libertarians say "yes, sure, why not, I'm in favor of it."

The same three arguments were used in inter-racial marriages, the previous marriage equality battle.

Unfortunately, whenever the progressives catch up to the libertarians, they say "now that we're here someone is finally talking about this instead of nobody talking about this."

Since when did anti-polygamous marriage become a progressive position? Like, ever? I think your just trying to trump up your own "group". As for me I have no problems with polygamous marriage. I always thought having sex with the same person forever would get boring after a while anyway.
Playing: Skullgirls
On hold: Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS)
Pokemon X & Y (3DS)
Whenever I get my GODDAMNED 3DS back  \":evil:\"
Religion, Nationalism, and Racism is all under the evil wing of Conservatism and preservation of useless traditions!

the_antithesis

Quote from: "SGOS"A friend of mine worked for the Peace Corps in Africa.  Sometimes the village chief would be very sad when all of his wives would get mad at him.  There are drawbacks to multiple wives.  It's not all that great.

Not to mention that when a group of female live together for long enough, their biology synchs up and they go on the rag at the same fucking time.

This is why the way to do it is to travel a lot and have a chippy in every city.

Plu

QuoteIt'd be awkward if I met a really attractive girl only to find that she's my distant, distant, distant step-sister because polygamy was legalized. Of course, the only downside to legalizing polygamy and it becoming widespread is the sudden decrease in available men/women (assuming incest is still an issue ....).

Incest is a biological thing, it's not related to marriage. If you have 6 fathers and 5 mothers, from the incest perspective you still only have to be careful about sleeping with girls/guys who either share your biological father or your biological mother (or both) because none of the others share enough DNA with you that you'd be at risk.

Broede

Quote from: "the_antithesis"
Quote from: "SGOS"A friend of mine worked for the Peace Corps in Africa.  Sometimes the village chief would be very sad when all of his wives would get mad at him.  There are drawbacks to multiple wives.  It's not all that great.

Not to mention that when a group of female live together for long enough, their biology synchs up and they go on the rag at the same fucking time.

This is why the way to do it is to travel a lot and have a chippy in every city.

Or, like most guys, plan your fishing/hunting/skiing/bowling league trips accordingly.

I'd just like to thank everyone that responded.  I've always felt something was wrong with the institute of marriage itself, not people who get married.  There's nothing wrong with choosing to be monogamous, but I just can't see anything wrong with choosing to be polygamous/polyamorous, either.  I'm glad to know I'm not the only person that came to this conclusion on their own (which, incidentally, is how I've felt about EVERY SINGLE ISSUE I've dealt with since becoming an atheist, and the sole motivating reason I joined this board in the first place).

One of the biggest arguments I've heard since I came to this conclusion, when trying to debate it and learn more about it, was the emotional question, "How would you feel if your wife wanted to marry another man?".  And it seems like a cop out to me, especially the more I think about it.  At first, I probably had the same gut reaction any married man might have (oh, HELL, no!).  But the more I thought about it, and put everything into the prism of shared marriage as opposed to competitive marriage, I began to realize something.  If some guy fell in love with my wife for all the same reasons I did, and truly respected her and wanted to treat her well (which she deserves), and he could be a great companion to her, then why wouldn't I share that with him?  I honestly think she's a great woman and if one guy that treats her right is a good thing, I can't see how having two of a good thing is bad.  And if he's a decent, respectable person that wants to be good to her, then he's not going to try and break us up, as he'd clearly see we're in love and not leaving each other short of death.  I mean, hell, he and I will always have something in common to talk about and maybe I'll get another cool drinking buddy out of the deal.  I say "win-fucking-win".

But try suggesting that to a serial monogamist.  I'd rather say "go ahead, have two husbands/wives" over hopping from one relationship to the next every three weeks, or marrying five different guys while fooling around on each of them (like someone I've known personally, dare I say).  The funniest reaction to this sort of rationality is "well, you must not love her very much".  Well, thank you for judging me and my own thoughts/feelings, because clearly you know better than I do how I should feel.

Plu

Quote"How would you feel if your wife wanted to marry another man?"

It's not just a cop-out, it's a bullshit argument. How any one person feels about the subject is completely irrelevant to the fact that there's millions of people out there who might think differently, and who should also be free to live life as they want to enjoy it.

It's kinda like asking "how would you feel if you had to marry someone of the same gender?". It's completely stupid to ask. If you don't want your wife to marry another man, discuss that shit with her and explain why you don't want it. Don't make a law to forbid the whole practice for everyone just because you're not interested in it.

Broede

Quote from: "Plu"
Quote"How would you feel if your wife wanted to marry another man?"

It's not just a cop-out, it's a bullshit argument. How any one person feels about the subject is completely irrelevant to the fact that there's millions of people out there who might think differently, and who should also be free to live life as they want to enjoy it.

It's kinda like asking "how would you feel if you had to marry someone of the same gender?". It's completely stupid to ask. If you don't want your wife to marry another man, discuss that shit with her and explain why you don't want it. Don't make a law to forbid the whole practice for everyone just because you're not interested in it.

Which is exactly why I played the devil's advocate card.  While you or I don't want to do something, there's absolutely no solid reason why we should arrest and vilify others who do.  If only more people put themselves in the shoes of others.  Hell -- didn't Jesus TEACH THAT?!  To pick the beam from one's own eye FIRST?  Worry about your own problems?  It all boils down to a power trip.  "I know what's best for you, better than you do."

Jason78

Quote from: "Jesus"It'd be awkward if I met a really attractive girl only to find that she's my distant, distant, distant step-sister

You're already running that risk.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Jason78

Quote from: "Broede"So now, here I am in blood and flesh (or, really, digital signals) sincerely posing the question ... what if it does?  So the fuck what?

I really don't have a problem with polygamy.  Marry whoever you want, in whatever combination of sexes you want.  As long as everyone is a consenting adult, I'm fine with it.

Mermaid

Quote from: "the_antithesis"

:roll:
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Jason78

Quote from: "Mermaid"False

What's your source on that?

the_antithesis

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"He is not actually complaining or even whining. He is acting like this, because he can't pull their pigtails anymore and that's about all what he knows about them.

And kicking them in the shins.

Problem is, they kick me back.  :(