News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Carl Sagan's widow on science appreciation.

Started by Jutter, July 23, 2013, 12:25:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jutter

For the record, dear ladies and gentlemen, Ann Druyan ROCKS! This, perhaps forgotten gem, from the first "Beyond Belief" conference, back in 2006, clearly shows what Carls saw in her, and what the regulars here likely can't help but see in her also. Me included. What a dame!

[youtube:3r3epn1m]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ay4-bI7TZ4[/youtube:3r3epn1m]

(edited to fix link screwup)
No religion for me thank you very much; I 'm full of shit enough as it is.

Being flabbergasted about existence never made anyone disappear in a poof of flabbergas, so nevermind why we're here. We ARE here.

Solitary

Hmmm! Where is Ann Druyan?  :-s  Now stop it now!  [-X   :lol:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Jutter

it's been fixed. Forward to 50 seconds in, for Ann's response, but watch the whole thing to learn what she's responding to.

Being flabbergasted about existence never made anyone disappear in a poof of flabbergas, so nevermind why we're here. We ARE here.

Plu

Damn. That's an excellent little talk, there.

Solitary

:-D  Thank you very much! She was spot on in her presentation in my opinion.  8-)  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Jutter

It's the parts about "prove us wrong and we'll give you our highest reward", and the 'science weaning us of spiritual narcisism', that particularly got to me. Shiver down my spine.
And a lump... right there in the throat y'know.

SGOS

I loved her phrase, "spiritual narcissism".   I'm filing that it my brain.  I'll use it someday.

Jutter

PopeyesPappy

Sagan was married to three exceptional women. Ann Druyan was the third. The second, artist Linda Salzman, created the art work depicted on the Pioneer plaque.

His first wife was biologist Lynn Margulis. Her theory that the eukaryotic cell is a symbiotic union of primitive prokaryotic cells is thought by many to be one of the most important discoveries in biology of the 20th century.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.